Should an image clicked while moving at 60kph have an effect on the overall quality?

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I clicked one and the image is somewhat like clear on top then blurred for a while then clear again and so on.
WP_20150302_17_18_27_Pro.jpg

Look closely, the picture is even distorted a bit.(The towers #1,2,3)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
To answer that, yes in general.

Depends on the overall speed of the shutter. Smartphone shutters are not exceptionally quick though some are not too bad though.

Since you're using the 1020 I'm not overly surprised by your results.

It also depends what direction you took the picture. If you took it looking back it might not have been so distorted.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ In addition to that, the picture was taken in low light, meaning the shutter on any camera would have stayed open longer, to let in more light. These are very poor picture taking conditions, for any camera.
Using long exposure times means we must ideally eliminate all relative movement between photographer and subject.

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I know, its just that I had used 520 in similar conditions and the picture were really good. Was experimenting with 1020 and didn't work. And yes I know 520 is nothing wrt 1020 given all those extra features that are needed to capture the perfect image.
Its just I am often on the road and for moments like these I just grab my phone and click them as fast as I can.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I know, its just that I had used 520 in similar conditions and the picture were really good. Was experimenting with 1020 and didn't work. And yes I know 520 is nothing wrt 1020 given all those extra features that are needed to capture the perfect image.
Its just I am often on the road and for moments like these I just grab my phone and click them as fast as I can.

The 1020 is well known for it's slow shutter speed and as a5cent has said, in these conditions you would be having an even slower shutter speed. Nothing wrong with quick snaps but the 1020 was never known for this type of photography.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I know, its just that I had used 520 in similar conditions and the picture were really good.
Just like most other cameras with OIS, the 1020 will tend towards longer exposure times, just because it thinks it can. In most situations that's good, but not when shooting out the side of a moving car.
Given the exact same 'out of a moving car at dusk' situation, the 520 without OIS will chose a shorter exposure time, resulting in an overall darker image, but coincidentally, it will also be sharper.
In this case, the camera wanting to leverage its OIS abilities is working against you.
I'm not aware of the 1020 extending exposure time beyond what any other OIS camera would do, but you need to do something. Manually shortening exposure time before taking that kind of shot is likely your best option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb