1020 a dud of a device?

Plazma1

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I've become such a downer with this phone having owned it for close to 1.5 years now. On forums I mention things about WP lag, random restarts, fuzzy green screens, tiles disappearing and Bluetooth connections always getting lost. I get responses that sound like the 1020 is buggier than other devices because people don't have these issues.

I've had the phone replaced once by MS but the issues persist. My bf also has a 1020 with these issues. My Lumia 521 didn't have these issues, nor did my huawei w1 or dell venue pro.

Was this phone a $700 CAD dud?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No not a dud, but certainly has its quirks from what I can see.

I haven't seen rumblings of widespread issues on a proportional scale of "Antenna-gate" or "bend-ghazi."
Remember problems are proportionally much more common on forums, where those with perfectly functioning devices often don't say a thing. If you look for bugs for a device, it'll often appear buggier than most other given phones.

sure it has its share of defective models, and there's probably some consistency to the bugs I guess, but its not a potato by any stretch.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I've become such a downer with this phone having owned it for close to 1.5 years now. On forums I mention things about WP lag, random restarts, fuzzy green screens, tiles disappearing and Bluetooth connections always getting lost. I get responses that sound like the 1020 is buggier than other devices because people don't have these issues.

I've had the phone replaced once by MS but the issues persist. My bf also has a 1020 with these issues. My Lumia 521 didn't have these issues, nor did my huawei w1 or dell venue pro.

Having owned the Lumia 1020 for more than 2 years now, I would say that WP does not lag and have not experienced random restarts, fuzzy green screens or tiles disappearing.

It is unfortunate to hear that both youself and your bf have the same issues witht he Lumia 1020.

If any of your friends own a Lumia 1020, try their phones out. Then flash your phone with the same firmware that they have. Then check for phone updates (in settings). Hope this resolves the issues.

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
The vast majority of 1020's worldwide are absolutely fine - it's just those with issues are understandably going to be more vocal about it online that the majority who have never experienced these issues, which is why reports of bugs can be quite common despite their actual rarity. Unfortunately it seems you haven't been lucky, so I do feel for you. Of the list of bugs you've mentioned, I've only had a small tile or two disappear on two occasions (it was never bigger than a small tile), but otherwise my 1020 has been fine since I got it a year ago.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
my 1020 is 100% with none of the issues that are stated. my wifes has the random reboot issue. but, other than that hers runs smooth as well.

abangfadli

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I am using the 1020 for almost a year now. Just last month I develop a game using Unity and when I deployed it to 1020 it lags, stuttering etc. Before you said that my code is not optimized, I have deployed it to L520 (1/4 RAM compared to 1020) and it run waaaaaay better than 1020.

So yeah, I think there is a problem in 1020.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I am using the 1020 for almost a year now. Just last month I develop a game using Unity and when I deployed it to 1020 it lags, stuttering etc. Before you said that my code is not optimized, I have deployed it to L520 (1/4 RAM compared to 1020) and it run waaaaaay better than 1020.

So yeah, I think there is a problem in 1020.

So what is the game title? I would like to try on my Lumia 1020.

Mike Novales

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I love my Lumia 1020. I've had for about 1.5 years. But I now have a problem I've not seen before, and I came to this forum to find some answers. Seems the focus doesn't work from long range any more. When I manual focus, I can never get anything sharp again when I have a photo subject over 40 feet. Auto/Manual work fine up close. This only started on Tuesday, so I don't think it was a software issue. Is it possible this fantastic 1020 camera is broken inside? Anyone have ideas?

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I love my Lumia 1020. I've had for about 1.5 years. But I now have a problem I've not seen before, and I came to this forum to find some answers. Seems the focus doesn't work from long range any more. When I manual focus, I can never get anything sharp again when I have a photo subject over 40 feet. Auto/Manual work fine up close. This only started on Tuesday, so I don't think it was a software issue. Is it possible this fantastic 1020 camera is broken inside? Anyone have ideas?

Did you check with any other camera application like Proshot?

go1020

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

I've had my 1020 since launch, and I can vouch that I'm seeing significant stuttering and icons appearing on tiles like in slow motion quite a lot since 8.1.

Edit: This is especially true when apps are rendering update to their live tiles, like Music artist info (when you going back to start screen). But no green screens. Reboots, I see sometimes.

Last edited:

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 1020 since October 2013 and it was having some big problems. I've been super unlucky and had it sent in twice for repair (once for camera module issues, the other for the dreaded 'error: Unable to find a bootable option' message). The good news is the 24 month Nokia warranty, and now they've completely replaced every component in my phone so it's basically brand new. Runs like a dream..for now xD

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 1020 camera doesn't focus at long range

I have this issue with long range photos, any can help with a suggestion of this? Is this related to a mechanical problem with camera module?

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I've had my 1020 for a year, and it has worked very well. I'm baffled that so many people seems to accept buggy units, not talking about this thread specifically, but consumer reviews and forums in general.

If you get a bad unit then I'll understand it will affect your opinions about the model, and even more so if you get it replaced or repaired and the issues persist.
BUT, why not using the warranty once again? Why accepting a faulty unit? Nokia gave us 2 years warranty for a reason, and the 1020 hasn't been on the market that long, so most, if not all, should still be in the warranty period.

A hard reset may fix things, especially after updates. My 1020 became incredibly buggy after I updated to WP8.1 Developer Preview, but a hard reset fixed it.

This is how I do it -

1 - Uninstall all apps. Go to Storage sense and select all apps. (Only to make sure it isn't one of the apps that causes issues. When you restore the phone data it won't install any apps.)
How to move or uninstall multiple apps with Storage Sense on Windows Phone 8.1 | Windows Central

2 - Back up your phone

3 - Perform a hard reset

4 - Restore data

5 - Install the apps you need

If that doesn't help, USE THE WARRANTY. There's no reason why anyone should accept a faulty unit.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 1020 camera doesn't focus at long range

I have this issue with long range photos, any can help with a suggestion of this? Is this related to a mechanical problem with camera module?

do you mean your pictures are not focused properly? when shooting landscapes, use manual zoom and push the slider all the way up to infinity and then one click back. voila!

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
do you mean your pictures are not focused properly? when shooting landscapes, use manual zoom and push the slider all the way up to infinity and then one click back. voila!
Yeah, that usually helps.

Did this bug come with WP8.1? I don't remember.

Edit: The focus bug is the only bug I know of, that doesn't make the phone model a dud.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6