Simple question ;)

Markovic

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I stumbled across a great offer for Lumia 1020 (150 euros mint condition). Only problem is that it won't turn on. Owner said that it worked normal and suddenly stopped. When he tries to turn it on it just vibrates and nothing happens. Phone can get recognised by PC. I'll go tomorrow to check it out. So, my question is: If phone gets recognised by LSRT is there any chance it won't get fixed by hard reset? P.s. I had the same problem with L520 and L630 and I managed to fix it with LSRT. Thanks for help. :)

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I stumbled across a great offer for Lumia 1020 (150 euros mint condition). Only problem is that it won't turn on. Owner said that it worked normal and suddenly stopped. When he tries to turn it on it just vibrates and nothing happens. Phone can get recognised by PC. I'll go tomorrow to check it out. So, my question is: If phone gets recognised by LSRT is there any chance it won't get fixed by hard reset? P.s. I had the same problem with L520 and L630 and I managed to fix it with LSRT. Thanks for help. :)

Simply put: Yes, if it really can be recognized by the PC and if LSRT says that it is supported... but that's the problem. My L1020 and other users in the web reported that the L1020s can be recognized but then in the process of installing the OS LSRT suddenly says that the phone is not supported. I had to send my L1020 for repair in a service center in the end.

It's still a gamble at this point in time. More information is needed about the phone. What was the last thing he did? What error is he prompted with (if any - mine was a boot error).

Markovic

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Simply put: Yes, if it really can be recognized by the PC and if LSRT says that it is supported... but that's the problem. My L1020 and other users in the web reported that the L1020s can be recognized but then in the process of installing the OS LSRT suddenly says that the phone is not supported. I had to send my L1020 for repair in a service center in the end.

It's still a gamble at this point in time. More information is needed about the phone. What was the last thing he did? What error is he prompted with (if any - mine was a boot error).

Thanks for reply. Problem is in our chat he seemed like he doesn't know alot about technology. In his words he bought the phone few weeks ago, used it for free days and this happened (no mechanical problems). I'll have more info when I meet with him and see the phone in person. Also, he didn't take the phone to service (3rd world country so no official Nokia repair...).

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for reply. Problem is in our chat he seemed like he doesn't know alot about technology. In his words he bought the phone few weeks ago, used it for free days and this happened (no mechanical problems). I'll have more info when I meet with him and see the phone in person. Also, he didn't take the phone to service (3rd world country so no official Nokia repair...).

Alright, you're welcome. Let us know what you find out. If I were in your shoes, I would be 60-40 in getting that phone, 60 because it's "cheap", but 40 because I don't know much about it yet. When was it bought, where was it bought, etc.

Be sure to have a look at the receipt, especially the date of purchase. If it was really bought a few weeks ago and if it was bought from a store (not some person or some website), it should be covered by the warranty period for parts replacement and repair. If it is still covered by the 12- or 24- month warranty period for parts replacement and repair, then check if you could take that phone to a service center in your location and if they will honor the warranty. If all is well, I would go and take that phone no questions asked. :cool:

P.S.
On a side note, some third world countries have official Nokia care centers. They may not bare the Nokia or Microsoft name since Nokia/Microsoft usually outsource the repair services from a third-party entity, but the third party is still officially recognized by Microsoft/Nokia Care... i.e. if parts are needed, those third-party entities still contact the main Nokia/Microsoft office to order the original parts they need.

Markovic

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Update: I bought the phone, charged it for few hours and tried every trick to turn it on. After few more hours on the charger it started and stayed on for just enough time to test everything (everything is working fine). Then it shut down again and refused to turn on. Then I opened the phone (all the parts were original and no one opened it before) and reinserted the battery, it wouldn't turn on so i left it in the freezer over night (without screen). In the morning it had enough power to flash it from Singapore to EU rom but still not enough power to turn the screen and phone completely on. Now I'm certain it's battery problem so I'll leave it in the box until my new battery is shipped from Croatia (no one is selling it in Serbia :/ ). I found new unopened battery for 20euros so I'm still in big plus. :)

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
That's good, let us know if the new battery solves the issue.

And, on the freezer technique... make sure that you dry your L1020 completely before turning it on... or just make sure that it is completely dry at all times. The freezer method will drop the temperature of the entire unit (including the inner parts), and since majority of the parts of the phone isn't air tight and that the earth's atmosphere has a considerable amount of moisture in it (depending on where you are and what time of the year), droplets may form inside the device as soon as you take it out of the freezer. So keep it inside a desiccator or a bag of uncooked rice (or wheat) for at least 12-24 hours after leaving it in the freezer before trying to power it up.

But generally, I wouldn't recommend the freezer technique for electronic devices. The device is made up of different materials with different thermal expansion coefficients (how much a material expands or contracts depending on temperature changes). This means that certain parts would contract faster than other parts that may be attached to it. This may cause some warping, bending or misalignment which, no matter how minor, may jeopardize the integrity of the device. Also, certain materials lose some of their properties when cooled (such as elasticity) - even when returned to room temperature the property may never be restored (irreversible change). Hence, in all, the freezer technique may, for example, make it less resistant to drops or vibrations.

Markovic

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
So while Im still waiting for battery to get delivered I searched internet to find out more about my problem. I haven't encountered anyone else with the same problem (others phone was either completely dead or they only needed to charge the battery). I connected battery from my friends L1020 and phone still wouldn't power on... PC sometimes recognises it and sometimes it just says Qualcomm MSM. One time when it was recognised I ran NCS tests and everything was working fine (except the screen didn't turn on and buttons were only on when i switched them on from PC). Note I'm not sure if its battery or something on motherboard that prevents phone from turning on, or sometimes when it turns on completely to operate for more than 20 min.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion