How can I get rid of background video noise on my Nokia Lumia 1020?

Benjamin Grover

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 1020 Background Video Noise

When I record a video and play it back I can hear a loud whirring noise in the background. It happens regardless if the camera is moving or not when the video was taken and is quite an annoying sound.

Any ideas on what this is and how it can be fixed, thanks.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nokia Lumia 1020 Background Video Noise

There has already been a response to this question here.

The response was:
Welcome to Windows Central.

There have been reports in the past regarding hearing noises in video recordings taken using the L1020. The noises vary from a loud screeching sound to hissing sounds. Most users suspected that a loud screeching noise is caused by a failure with the OIS mechanism..

We may need to hear a sample of the sound you're hearing to be able to provide a relatively more concrete "assessment". In the meantime, however, there could be two causes for the noise: software issue and hardware failure.

Some software issues usually can be resolved by simply restarting the phone or performing a soft reset, while others may need a complete OS re-installation, i.e. through a recovery software.

Hardware issues can only be addressed by physical repair or replacement in a service center.

Were you able to notice if the sound occurs only when you move the phone (while recording)? Is the sound there when the phone is stationary (while recording)?

Also, can you observe if you can hear the same sound from the camera module?

You may need to create a Windows Central account to respond to this thread.

Now that you have a Windows Central account, please provide us with additional information, e.g. from the questions in the response.

Benjamin Grover

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site

Hi, the sound occurs throughout the entire video, regardless if the camera was still or moving when the film was shot. The noise doesn't come from the camera module itself and is only heard when playing the video back.
Thanks.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for this very useful information - we've narrowed down things a lot., but we may need to narrow things further. Could you try recording a video with the phone speaker volume completely turned off? Then let us know if the sound is still present during playback (with the speakers back on, of course).

RVD1020

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi there: I have the exact same problem with my Lumia 1020.

I turned off all sounds (in-call volume; phone volume; media and apps volume), did a test recording, and the problem still persists. Volume on or off, that loud fan-like hum takes over all sound recording, when I make videos. I hear some of my friends if they talk, but they are at 10%, and that loud hum is at 90%. If I record just a blank wall in a different place, the loud fan-like hum is still there. Stationary camera or moving, the problem persists.

I do not hear it while recording. The phone is quiet. It's only via playback (whether I play it back on the phone itself, or if I download the file and play it on my computer).

Should I return the phone to Microsoft for repair? (I purchased an extended warranty from them).

Problem wasn't there when I bought the phone: seems to have just started in the past few months, after those big updates.

Any advice would be appreciated.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi there: I have the exact same problem with my Lumia 1020.

I turned off all sounds (in-call volume; phone volume; media and apps volume), did a test recording, and the problem still persists. Volume on or off, that loud fan-like hum takes over all sound recording, when I make videos. I hear some of my friends if they talk, but they are at 10%, and that loud hum is at 90%. If I record just a blank wall in a different place, the loud fan-like hum is still there. Stationary camera or moving, the problem persists.

I do not hear it while recording. The phone is quiet. It's only via playback (whether I play it back on the phone itself, or if I download the file and play it on my computer).

Should I return the phone to Microsoft for repair? (I purchased an extended warranty from them).

Problem wasn't there when I bought the phone: seems to have just started in the past few months, after those big updates.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for the detailed report; this should help other L1020 users who may encounter the same problem.

My advice would be to use that extended warranty and take your phone to an accredited service center; not sure about the terms of the extended warranty, though, since there's a chance they may not honor it due to the updates that were installed.

Nonetheless, the best option in your case (since you've got warranty) is to take it to a service center for repair or replacement. Let us know what happens.

And welcome to Windows Central, by the way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett