Lumia 1020 Glass only replacement! Can I do it?

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 1020 Glass only replacement!

Finally the unthinkable happened and the glass cracked on my 1020 Everything is intact inside. I took it to a nearby shop and I was advised that the glass only replacement even though cheaper option, it will destroy the digitizer underneath when they try to separate the glass using their heat gun. Is this the case?

Although he said there are places that will replace the glass only, how risky is it?
which one is the better option
Molybdenum wire and no heat gun, is it good to separate the glass from digitizer?
heat gun and playing cards as seen on youtube?

Cheers

latunza

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 1020 Glass only replacement!

The exact same thing happened to me. I will be pretty honest in telling you that replacing the glass is pointless. I tried replacing the glass and it wound up damaging the LCD (heat gun included). So I had to buyer a new screen with Digitizer. That's your best bet.

rAj06

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
My 1020's screen cracked and display is completely off - replacement costs 11000 INR. (185$ approx)

This phone is about 11 months old and I am in a dilemma if I should be getting this repaired or go for a new phone. Suggestions?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Buy a new lcd/touch assembly for around $100, and do it yourself. It's not very hard on the 1020 to replace. I wouldn't pay someone $185 to do it.

As for glass only - like most lumias, you may get the glass off. The trick is getting new glass back on while retaining functionality. It is a specialty, and some people can do it - just not most of us.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
The exact same thing happened to me. I will be pretty honest in telling you that replacing the glass is pointless. I tried replacing the glass and it wound up damaging the LCD (heat gun included). So I had to buyer a new screen with Digitizer. That's your best bet.

When you say damaged the LCD was it damaged as in by the heat or just loss of pixels and phantom touches and things like that?
What about the molybdenum wire to separate them as seen on youtube videos?

Buy a new lcd/touch assembly for around $100, and do it yourself. It's not very hard on the 1020 to replace. I wouldn't pay someone $185 to do it.

As for glass only - like most lumias, you may get the glass off. The trick is getting new glass back on while retaining functionality. It is a specialty, and some people can do it - just not most of us.

Retaining functionality? what sort of problems might arise with using LOCA glue which every video on youtube shows?

Cheers

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I don't do this myself, but I have a few friends that do. The most common thing is losing touch function. Don't ask me why, I just know it happens.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't do this myself, but I have a few friends that do. The most common thing is losing touch function. Don't ask me why, I just know it happens.
Thanks m8. I have decided to leave it for now till the screen becomes unusable and after that I will attempt the glass only by myself. If it works gr8 if not the worst case scenario replace the assembly
Cheers

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
To correctly perform a glass-only repair, you will need:
-Thermal seperator, $$$
-LOCA glue
-Vacuum to pull the glue evenly across the display, $$
-UV source to cure the glue, $$

What I always recommended was a complete LCD/Glass replacement. They are made that way at the factory and should be replaced that way. Yes, it is more expensive, but there is less likely a chance of damage. It is time-consuming and risky to try a glass-only replacement.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2