Current Setup on Lumia 1020: Windows Phone 10 Preview

pyrosol08

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello All,

I was wondering if, like me, anyone else had downloaded the Windows Phone 10 preview onto their Lumia 1020? I had a 1020 ages ago (read: October 2014), and, sadly, it passed on to a better life than my dropping it and taking it everywhere....

However! I just picked one up as a backup phone yesterday, and I'm now in the process of the lengthy setup. Last night I was able to fully update it to windows phone 10 (note, some users have had trouble updating and revert back to Windows Phone 8.1, however, after much googling, I discovered you need only perform a hardware reset (volume down button + power button for 15 seconds / 3 buzzes) after selecting to install the preview and once the phone screen goes black and the install will complete.

I am no successfully running the new OS, however, the hardware reset pretty much clears your phone out. So! Here I am, with my Lumia 1020, with WP10, and I was wondering if anyone has any setup tips from their own; I have downloaded the XBox Music preview as well and am considering options for the camera app (key ofc for the 1020 :D) as well as trying to navigate through WP10 in general.

Any advice/insight would be great! Thanks all, and I hope you're enjoying your 1020s as much as I'm going to enjoy having one again!! :)

JeremyNever Die

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I am currently not able to use my phone at all. After i unlock it, the screen continues to say "loading" and thats it. The only thing i got to interact with was my wifi through the drag down bar and get phone calls and the settings. thats it. and yes i have the Lumia 1020

pyrosol08

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
That's interesting.... I had trouble installing the Windows Phone 10 preview. I had to hard reset my phone before beginning. Then I went through all of the available WP8 / 8.1 updates, then I installed the windows insider app and finally started the upgrade to windows phone 10, which would lead me to a black screen that did nothing until yet another hardware reset that finally saw the install work. After that, I had to clear out A TON of apps (basically everything tbh except for stock apps and some always-used apps like Fbook etc. but now everything is working , and I'm slowly installing stuff.

The only thing I haven't gotten working yet is email.... unfortunately no matter what I try to do, it just refuses to work. I've tried searchign to reinstall (and I'm sure installing a different 3rd part email app would work) but no luck yet

I'll try and upload a screenshot of my home screen later, it's a massive pain in the *** right now (I can't share it to myself via gmail, the upload to onedrive is hooky (sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't, but you can't manually force it to right now), I'm going to try to text it to a friend to have it email to me..... wow.. haha! beta testing at its finest :) but it's fun!

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I'll follow this thread for sure. I also just bought another 1020, having first owned one when it came out in 2013. It's a secondary phone for me so I'm most looking to using the camera and as previous poster I'm curious to how that will work with Windows 10 Mobile TP.

jjmorgan64

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I am currently not able to use my phone at all. After i unlock it, the screen continues to say "loading" and thats it. The only thing i got to interact with was my wifi through the drag down bar and get phone calls and the settings. thats it. and yes i have the Lumia 1020

Go to settings and change your background from solid to tile or vice versa, it doesn't matter just change that setting and the home screen week load, hopefully.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I had the "Loading Screen" for home and just ended up doing a factory reset and that fixed the issues

I had the same and reset and it is even worse now. Also, using the swipe keyboard will crash the phone within a few sentences every time. Have to hard reset. The technical preview should not have been released for this device

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi all. I think I may be able to answer a few questions. I'm using the L1020 as my main device using w10m as my only os. I had difficulty at first installing.
Solution 1: I left my phone plugged in on my nightstand on that "loading" start screen. Woke up in the morning and boom! There was my tiles.
2. Revert to w8m. Update to w10m. However, do NOT restore any backups. Go totally fresh. After installation do not setup ANYTHING. No wifi or accounts. Power off totally. Press vol. Down and power. At Nokia logo, release power but continue to hold col. Down until you see a big exclamation mark on the screen. At that point press: Vol. Up, vol. Down, power, vol. Down. Your phone will reset and from there you should be good to go.
Camera- I'm not sure....using the built in file explorer no RAW images are present. Using Files (explorer) I can only see (pictures)_PRO.jpeg.
Hope this helps.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Actually the camera grip has been working for me on all of the W10 TP builds. That's with the Lumia Camera app though, the default Microsoft one I have had endless issues with and is useless.

genenorton

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Installed today. Had some issue with phone app not working "Phone Off". Restart phone, Unpin and rePin Phone. Works now. All Lumia apps had to be re downloaded. apps that were pinned in folders disappeared from start screen. "Pin to Start" was grayed out. Uninstall app and re-install. Pin to start now works.
It forgot a lot of settings that have to be reset...
Auto brightness not working right. Turn of and back on... works now.
Insider Feedback questions come in a few minutes...Too soon...

wrea

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Actually the camera grip has been working for me on all of the W10 TP builds. That's with the Lumia Camera app though, the default Microsoft one I have had endless issues with and is useless.

Interesting, it didn't work with Lumia Camera or ProShot when I tried the first build to come out with 1020 support.

chihs

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
bad experience on my lumia 1020 to upgrade to the WP10TP, totally slow, camera slow too, unable autofocus, even don't know where is the point your camera to focus, Save photo image too long, over picture auto to link onedrive even you are offline, so very slow......... listen music sometimes will auto reboot, many times after screen sleep but unable to resume.
by the way, very often, after take picture then unable to turn of the camera, keep water power, even you cannot normal turn off the phone, then you need to force reset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium