[L1020] Battery draining on sat nav?

raggedy b

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi am I right in thinking the 1020 needs 2amp power supply to use the sat nav,just bought a power supply for my bike which Amazon seller says is 2 amp,tried it on the way home this evening and battery went from 70% to 50% after twenty minutes which I guess means it's not up to the job,are all lumias high drainage when using the sat nav

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Which particular app are you using?

Most probably, it is the screen that was contributing to most of the battery drain. If you're app is constantly using internet data (such as Waze for live traffic updates), then that's also a major battery drainer. Aside from these two, the GPS antenna also contributes to battery drain but not as much - the proof of this is that when using a track logger that uses GPS under lock screen, my battery doesn't drain as fast as compared to when the screen is turned on (battery drain under lock screen for GPS only is around 10% per hour).

That the screen and mobile data antennas consume a lot of power are applicable to almost all smart phones, so if you would be using these two while navigating (check if your app uses data while it is active), you would want to connect your L1020 to a portable power supply, e.g. a power bank.

I've never left my house without a power bank - got myself a 10,000 mAh Sony power bank with a max output charge rate of 3.6A (but I think the L1020 can only take around 2A, so 2A should be enough). :wink:

raggedy b

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I was using Here drive,when I got home I left the app open and plugged in my battery pack on the 2amp output and it charged it 10 % in fifteen minutes,would be nice to use my bike for charging rather than the battery pack

Mr Kaja

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Maybe problem is in charger. I have read about some x20 lumias, where "no-name" 2A wasn't enought even to keep the battery full, but nokia 1A charger worked OK.
I don't say, you need nokia charger, but beware - not all chargers work in a way, you would expect (rather buy review chargers).
Anyway, try the here nav with another charger...and in case of powerbanks, cheap thin cable could have influence on speed of charging.

anon(5316299)

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
I'm also voting for the charger. With a good 1A charger from htc, I have no problem using navigation and music while I drive, and still maintain positive charge.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

raggedy b

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I'm thinking the charger isn't up to the job,wasn't a lot of money but the seller upsold it as one suitable for smartphones that draw a lot of power and need 2amp charging,I shall leave a nice review for the product 😉

Mr Kaja

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, I have my own weird experiences including even original Nokia chargers. Original charger for my lumia 1020 slowly stopped working. So, I borrowed older charger (AC-10E) for Nokia E55. It worked great. So, I bought a new AC-10E. It was original from Nokia, but body and cable ware just slightly different from old version. Ok...so I tried it - worked OK with Motorola, Samsung...but not worked with my lumia and even old E55! Quite confusing and funny.
So, I bought 2A charger from Samsung and all works like a charm... so, you will never know...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb