Does it make any sense to buy a 1020 now?

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
At the OP and Steve Adams. Just learnt there is a workaround to get the best of both worlds.
1. Use MSRT to take the 1020 back to 8.1
2. Go to Marketplace/Store and TURN OFF AUTO UPDATES.This is the most important aspect!
3. Install NOKIA CAMERA,Glance, Languages/Keyboards you need, no other apps, just system apps basically. You can update all manually EXCEPT Nokia Camera.
4. Save that as a backup
5. Upgrade to w10
6 Do a restore of that saved backup.
You should now have back your hi-res images and be on w10m
I have a 1020 but haven't been able to try this as yet. Let me know how it goes.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to chime in as a second vote to consider an 808. If you want a second phone to play with that has a great camera, superb on-device media capabilities, etc, it's great.

As a daily driver, that would be far more tenuous - I think a talk, text, pic, maps, and very light internet connecting would be quite acceptable though.

Picked up a red one for $129 this summer and the camera is, of course stunning. Colors are spot on (no yellow cast!), only real weakness I've found is the dynamic range, highlights can get blown out. Watching that with the histogram and using exposure/ND filter gets to be second nature though.

Pureview is a different sort than the kind in the Lumia lineup. It's a "pick your resolution, zoom and get oversampling until max zoom" thing. You can do 3, 5, or 8 mp shots, but you lose that background full res shot allowing reframing. Shot to shot time is much better though. (Still the option for full res if you like.)

As a super iPod like device though, it's great. Pentaband cellular with GPS, onboard maps, micro-HDMI out, AV out (composite plus stereo) DLNA video out, microSD and USB OTG, BT 3.0, NFC, FM receiver AND transmitter. With an older Nokia headset controller and a 3rd party app you have a remote camera control. You can also control the camera via BT or WiFi with the app. I have a 64GB card in it, went with a custom firmware as well (DFW 1.5).

So, all that being said, what do I think? <insert usual rant about MS and cameras and argh> The 808 would be tough as a daily driver for someone accustomed to more. I use it as a super connected P&S/iPod like device that can make a call in a pinch. And use my regular phone(s) for smartphone things.

Hope this helps anyone like me who didn't know too much (anything, lol) about the 808 or particularly Symbian before.

Vijay_Anand

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your wonderful advice and suggestions. Much appreciated! Sorry I've been MIA after I started the thread. Thanks again.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I personally wouldn't recommend just for the camera. Don't get me wrong the camera is great, but it's also slow. Most of the newer smartphone cameras in general are much snappier and can take 2-4 more shots than what the 1020 could.

It's like the old saying, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take".

Vijay_Anand

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I personally wouldn't recommend just for the camera. Don't get me wrong the camera is great, but it's also slow. Most of the newer smartphone cameras in general are much snappier and can take 2-4 more shots than what the 1020 could.

Thanks! I've decided to take a nibble at the 950.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
there is also an old saying, "Quality, not quantity"

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
there is also an old saying, "Quality, not quantity"

And I'd totally agree with you if this was 2 years ago when the 1020 came out. It still holds out pretty good, but why gimp yourself on an old phone when most of the newer phones have better camera sensors, aperture, OIS and speed to boot? It's still a good camera, but not worth buying at this point.

The S6, G4, 950 all beat the camera quality of the 1020 by a little bit. The only advantage is the MP count. It is impressive for a 2 year old phone.

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
yeah... You have to look at the alternatives, devices like Panasonic CM-1 or Asus zoom X550. NOKIA 808 with new hardware would be also fine.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
no, no they don't.

And I'd totally agree with you if this was 2 years ago when the 1020 came out. It still holds out pretty good, but why gimp yourself on an old phone when most of the newer phones have better camera sensors, aperture, OIS and speed to boot? It's still a good camera, but not worth buying at this point.

The S6, G4, 950 all beat the camera quality of the 1020 by a little bit. The only advantage is the MP count. It is impressive for a 2 year old phone.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720