Lumia 1020 photos and messages gone, how can I get them back?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Lumia 1020 photos and messages gone

Hello guys,

I'm having quite a strange problem with my Nokia Lumia 1020. It all began with the gmail app that stopped syncronizing with the server. After an ordinary reboot I got a message that the device was restored after an error and then it started loading all the old mails back by dozens, as if they were all unread (which was not the case). Ok, after all the mailing app was in order again.

But soon after that I received an sms and realized that all the other messages were completely gone. Including the whole previous chat with the person who texted me.

Same thing for Whatsapp - no messages visible, no saved pictures. Just the call history.

After all I went on to check the Camera Roll - nothing left there either. But all the pictures are still visible when I sync the phone with the computer via USB.

So, after many attempts at soft-resetting, checking for updates etc, here's where I am:

- No photos visible in the Camera roll or trough any app (Camera, Instagram, photoeditors)

- All SMS are gone

- All Whatsapp contents is gone, too

- Everything else is fine. Call history, contacts, Facebook, mail apps, Microsoft and Gmail accounts syncronization...

Is there anything that can be done in this situation, except a hard reset?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 1020 photos and messages gone

Hello and welcome to Windows Central.

I believe this thread would need at least two or three back and forth replies - you may create a Windows Central account to respond in this thread,

The symptoms don't appear normal - have you installed any technical preview OS on your Lumia 1020?

BP1972

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site

Hello !! I have had the exact same issue with my 1020 yesterday, have you got any closer to solve the problem, or anybody else with an answer ??
Best Regards Bj?rn...

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Well, this happened to me just a few hours before my Lumia 1020 "died" - the solution of which was to have the main board replaced in the service center. (PC won't even recognize it after death, so that eliminates all software-level solutions).

I feel, then, that those are symptoms of a dying phone - but I could be wrong.

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi welcome. I'm not sure if this would work as you'd have to have done this prior.
OneDrive USUALLY auto uploads photos. The catch is it had to be turned on prior. If you store any photos to a cloud storage, you may be lucky to simply drag and drop from the cloud onto your 1020.
To avoid this next time. Sign into your OneDrive go to settings and allow auto uploads of pics and videos to OneDrive. Then you go to the photos app-settings and select the option show photos and videos from OneDrive.
If you were talking about sms messages go to messaging - settings and there is an option to show messages from anytime. Also select text backup.
Lastly go to the settings menu of itself go to accounts- sync settings
As I said this needed to be done prior but can help in the future as well. Hope this helps

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb