1020 Vision

Skittle Milk

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
So I just yesterday purchased a Lumia 1020 for what I think was a steal at $120. Phone is in like new condition and I of course couldn't be happier with the camera. My question is this, seeing as how we're moving into the era of W10M how many people are still using and enjoying the 1020 as their daily driver and how many plan to KEEP using it? Did I buy a phone with little to no community support or a phone that will go down as a legend and fight all the way down? What are your thoughts on the 1020 and it's ability to run W10M, especially those running the latest Insider builds?

Tom Stuart1

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi Skittle. Welcome to 1020 club. I am a fairly new owner myself and just getting to grips with it. There are some superb articles here but also on the all about windowsphone website where Steve Litchfield the world's greatest advocate for the 1020 reviews the 1020 in the new world of W10M.
The big thing I learned today is that you shoot your photos with the Lumia Camera app not the new Camera app and also edit/ reframe them IN the Lumia camera app. I was getting confused trying to use the Lumia Creative Studio app to reframe the oversampled images. I am learning all the time. I also have the Lumia 1520 which has a lovely big screen and faster camera. Good luck.

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Welcome Skittle. I too am a 1020 owner and have been using windows 10 mobile (W10M) insider preview from inception.
The latest build is great!
Working well on my device.
I'll take the initiative and try to answer a few of the questions you may have:
1. How do I get the latest build? Install the windows insider app from the store. Choose "Fast Ring". Check for updates.
2. Should I backup? Yes.
3. Should I hard reset after backup? Yes.
Here is some advice. Go to store. Turn auto update off. Download and install all the SYSTEM apps you will need. (only system apps no others as yet.) Languages, keyboards, Lumia camera, glance screen etc. Update ALL system apps except Lumia camera. Install windows insider. Backup this. Install latest build. Hard reset. Restore THAT last backup and you're good to go.

Skittle Milk

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I appreciate all the feedback I've gotten thus far. Thanks all. I believe the last two preview builds have done away entirely with Lumia Camera, unfortunately. That being said, is there another app besides the default one that makes better use of the industry-leading camera or is there a way to make the default camera app work better with the camera? I get a feeling with the default Microsoft Camera app, the 41MP is not being utilized to it's greatest potential...

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I thought Lumia Camera was staying for the 1020? You might also want to take a look at Proshot, which is a pretty good app.

Skittle Milk

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Indeed I stand corrected. I have downloaded Lumia Camera on my 1020. Pity it cannot be had on the 640 as I really am not a fan of the default Microsoft camera. Any who, do any fellow 1020-toting individuals have any tips on how to get the best shots possible using Lumia Cam?

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I asked the same question. If you check my profile there is a thread I participated in where one person sent me a link to a walkthrough of taking great pics. When I find the link ill edit

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
For some if you hard reset on wm10, you will lose lumia camera. I haven't hard reset and it's been 2 days now and everything runs great. No glitches, bugs etc.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Indeed I stand corrected. I have downloaded Lumia Camera on my 1020. Pity it cannot be had on the 640 as I really am not a fan of the default Microsoft camera. Any who, do any fellow 1020-toting individuals have any tips on how to get the best shots possible using Lumia Cam?

Best idea is to take your phone on a photo expedition and try it out in different scenarios - scenery, dawn, dusk, cities, closeups-macro, people, indoors and you will slowly understand what settings to use in each scenario. More or less you will change light settings depending on lighting conditions like sunny or cloudy, incandescent or fluorescent or auto.

Sometimes you will change focus manually to get a macro shot

ISO and shutter speed - you might change when indoors as lighting could be mediocre

Check your photos after taking them, review them and try to gauge whether that's what you wanted from the camera. If you take a photo of a flower in strong sunlight, it might appear too bright. So next time you try to reduce exposure.

Try several shots of the scenario if you can and then later review and select the best ones. Always copy them to the pc and keep them for future reference

I would recommend you NOT to use auto upload to onedrive as that would consume a lot of battery and data. I've always kept it off. I would be a fool to upload 3Gb of photos per day when that data bundle would cost me 10USD. Spending 200USD per month on data is crazy

Pack an extra power bank in case of long trips

Keep your hands steady when taking shots. It has OIS but you also need to play your part. If you can and it's available in your country and you have the money, buy the camera grip and use a tripod. Majority of countries don't have this unfortunately

If you have specific questions, just quote me and I'll answer as quick as possible

mariachris

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
For some if you hard reset on wm10, you will lose lumia camera. I haven't hard reset and it's been 2 days now and everything runs great. No glitches, bugs etc.

You can always get your lumia camera app back from "my library". As for the latest build, I agree with you it's been a great experience I've been using it for 4 days. Only one problem so far: the mobile hotspot/internet sharing doesn't work after the screen locks itself. Anyways, warm welcome to any L1020 users. 😊

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
You can always get your lumia camera app back from "my library". As for the latest build, I agree with you it's been a great experience I've been using it for 4 days. Only one problem so far: the mobile hotspot/internet sharing doesn't work after the screen locks itself. Anyways, warm welcome to any L1020 users. ��

This doesn't work for all users. If you've read the forums, you'll find some people saying it's not available in their library. I'm not risking losing lumia camera so I can hard reset for some marginal improvement in performance

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to owning the best windows phone ever. arguably the best phone ever. I have had them all, yes some are marginally faster, etc, but overall experience and the camera make the 1020 the best. Its a shame that Microsoft did away with the design and philosophy of the 1020 phone.

Skittle Milk

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Best idea is to take your phone on a photo expedition and try it out in different scenarios - scenery, dawn, dusk, cities, closeups-macro, people, indoors and you will slowly understand what settings to use in each scenario. More or less you will change light settings depending on lighting conditions like sunny or cloudy, incandescent or fluorescent or auto.

Sometimes you will change focus manually to get a macro shot

ISO and shutter speed - you might change when indoors as lighting could be mediocre

Check your photos after taking them, review them and try to gauge whether that's what you wanted from the camera. If you take a photo of a flower in strong sunlight, it might appear too bright. So next time you try to reduce exposure.

Try several shots of the scenario if you can and then later review and select the best ones. Always copy them to the pc and keep them for future reference

I would recommend you NOT to use auto upload to onedrive as that would consume a lot of battery and data. I've always kept it off. I would be a fool to upload 3Gb of photos per day when that data bundle would cost me 10USD. Spending 200USD per month on data is crazy

Pack an extra power bank in case of long trips

Keep your hands steady when taking shots. It has OIS but you also need to play your part. If you can and it's available in your country and you have the money, buy the camera grip and use a tripod. Majority of countries don't have this unfortunately

If you have specific questions, just quote me and I'll answer as quick as possible

I do have a question that isn't camera related but I don't wanna ask in the main forums because I'm sure it'd be like beating a dead horse...what's the end-all be-all of Twitter apps on WP, even running 10? The official app seems...lacking to say the least. I don't mind paying for something faster and more full featured. Thanks in advance.

Skittle Milk

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to owning the best windows phone ever. arguably the best phone ever. I have had them all, yes some are marginally faster, etc, but overall experience and the camera make the 1020 the best. Its a shame that Microsoft did away with the design and philosophy of the 1020 phone.

Why is this, in your opinion, the best ever. Is it the camera module alone that keeps it in the top spot in your eyes? Does it beat out something like...say...the L1520?

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Why is this, in your opinion, the best ever. Is it the camera module alone that keeps it in the top spot in your eyes? Does it beat out something like...say...the L1520?

Many reasons,

1. Camera. The camera kicks massive amounts of butt! I have used most every other camera lately in phones and the 1020s camera produces the best photos period

2. The camera grip that is offered with the phone. It adds extra battery, and a tripod mount. A boon when out shooting.

3. Size. The 1520 is a great phone, but it is massive. the 1020 is still a great size that you can use single handedly.

4. Battery life is great on our end. I get all day useage plus. at the end of most days I am at about 40% or so.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I do have a question that isn't camera related but I don't wanna ask in the main forums because I'm sure it'd be like beating a dead horse...what's the end-all be-all of Twitter apps on WP, even running 10? The official app seems...lacking to say the least. I don't mind paying for something faster and more full featured. Thanks in advance.

I'm not on twitter so I can't help you there. Sorry

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am not using twitter either. Oh, just rememebered probably the best thing about the 1020 is, when you pull it out in public, there are always a few that freak out when they even see it. Whats that! and their eyes light up!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)