06-26-2016 05:52 AM
330 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Jim hi! Do You have a some probleem wiht camera?
    No problem with the camera.
    03-20-2016 08:28 AM
    1020 upgrade to .164 build keeps failing. How can I resolve this please
    You may have to use Windows Device Recovery Tool to go back to 8.1 amd then upgrade to .164
    03-20-2016 08:31 AM
    I was using 10 on my 1020, I think it was .107 and the one before and everything was fine, then I started having a lot of freezes and bugs. I went back to 8.1 then used insider to get to .107 and I reset it. Then went to .164 and reset it again, after all the app updates everything seems fine. I did the same thing to my 920 and it works like a champ with 10 now. Too bad its never going to be "official" but whatever...
    Guytronic and chrisval258 like this.
    03-20-2016 03:27 PM
    Is fine actually. I have tried the camera on the insider preview and it is horrible as comparing to the Lumia camera! I will rather 1020 stays with WP8.1 and use it as a portable digital camera rather.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-20-2016 08:11 PM
    Hey guys, do you have issues with mobile hotspot? It doesn't work on my 1020.. PC can connect to it, but it even not in the list on the phone..
    03-21-2016 02:05 AM
    Wp10 will not be available for Lumia 1020. I just found upgrade advisor app in the store which says "Your phone is not supported for the upgrade to windows 10." Hard luck for Lumia 1020. :(
    Yeah, I saw it too.. will wait for some time and if MS will not change their mind then I will switch to android.. I used WinPhones starting from Nokia 710 and always was happy with them.. but now I feel like they cheated because they promised the update and now they saying that they will not update. It's better to switch to Android.. at least with Android you will not expect that you will receive major updates in the future.
    vezycash likes this.
    03-21-2016 02:10 AM
    So is it better to try and fail rather than to not try? This is the crux of the matter

That MS tried to develop W10M for most phones but were unable with the time and resources available.

They could have not tried at all and where would we be? Without having tested W10M at all for our devices

For one, I am more than happy to have tested out W10M on my lumia 1020 and I am happy to continue testing and using as long as the phone still works. I got the chance to be involved in something big, something that has helped MS move forward, something that new users of W10M on the new phones can appreciate because of what my feedback did
    03-21-2016 03:42 AM
    So is it better to try and fail rather than to not try? This is the crux of the matter

That MS tried to develop W10M for most phones but were unable with the time and resources available.

They could have not tried at all and where would we be? Without having tested W10M at all for our devices

For one, I am more than happy to have tested out W10M on my lumia 1020 and I am happy to continue testing and using as long as the phone still works. I got the chance to be involved in something big, something that has helped MS move forward, something that new users of W10M on the new phones can appreciate because of what my feedback did
    I see your point, but as a developer I do not accept "try and fail" from MS in this case. They promised to deliver the update and they need to keep their promise. It was obvious that they will need to spend their resources in order to develop the update and it's clear that they will not get any direct short term benefits from the update (customer satisfaction is a long term benefit).

For examle, when they found that they can't delever WP 8 to all promised phones, they at least release WP 7.8 and it was ok by me, because they didn't leave me alone with the phone and they delivered new features as promised. And it is completely different story with 1020, which is a premium phone and it didn't receive any major update after the release. And there is no any issues realted to the hardware, because some phones with weaker hardware will get the update.

For me, it looks strange that they don't plan to keep the promise about updates, especially considering that they completely lost battle in Canada (you can't buy WP phone from any carrier or even BestBuy).
    theefman and vezycash like this.
    03-21-2016 03:59 AM
    here's a story from my country, Kenya.

In 2013 when the elections were happening, the current president promised that all standard one pupils in public primary schools would receive laptops by the end of the year.

3years later so far only a few dozen schools have received laptops as part of a testing program to see how they function and what is the best way forward.

Are people angry that their kids haven't got laptops yet? Yes, they are. Are they patient? Mostly yes. I've not seen any parent complaining that the government promised to give laptops and have failed to do so so far and hence they will take their kids to private schools.

Whether promises were given or not, whether plans were made or not, the fact is that the upgrade experience can be challenging and we still have options within the MS experience to continue forward.

Insider program is available. For a few months we still get to experience W10M. Redstone hasn't been released for the older phones and my expectation is it won't be for a couple of months. Add a few more months and I'm seeing W10M being available for our phones on insider until end of 2016
    I completely understand what you are saying and agree with it. My issue is that there are other players on the market and we can choose what to get for the same price. Lumia 1020 was not a cheap phone when I bought it and I kind of expected little bit more support from MS.. And I do not agree to consider Insider program as a replacement to the update.

Anyway, maybe I just overreacting.. perhaps it is just because I feel like MS failed me, especially that I was thinking to buy a Lumia 950 and now I'm not sure that it makes sense.. it is actually first time since I got my Lumia 710, when I'm thinking about buying an android phone instead of WP..
    03-21-2016 04:10 AM
    I don't get the metrics they chose to go by. On an expensive phone like the 1020, I can't just get myself a second one to load beta software on so Microsoft gets metrics. Neither do I have any idea where their "recommend" is supposed to be. I'm recommending it to real people in person. How about using metrics from people who use the phone for actual work - like number of photos uploaded to OneDrive in the last two months to judge engagement, and then do what needs to be done to serve your customer? This sounds like, "oops, we programmed it to where it takes more resources than most phones have" - could that perchance be poor programming/poor leadership? The 1020 is a phone for photography enthusiasts - and enthusiasts were one of Microsoft's three groups, weren't they? Is that also just smoke?
    03-21-2016 11:44 AM
    Hey guys, I just reinitialized my 1020 to the Insider program again,and chose the technical preview branch. And it offered and installed .107

I'm not sure yet what's going to happen with the WM1020, and it would be definitely a shame if MS gave up on the phone already. I still have hope, which is why i still have the phone.
    03-21-2016 12:15 PM
    Hey guys go to Uservoice and search "Upgrade Windows 10 mobile for 920/925/1020/1320/1520" and vote so that we can give MS their statistics!
    03-21-2016 12:25 PM
    Hey guys, I just reinitialized my 1020 to the Insider program again,and chose the technical preview branch. And it offered and installed .107

I'm not sure yet what's going to happen with the WM1020, and it would be definitely a shame if MS gave up on the phone already. I still have hope, which is why i still have the phone.
    Check again after .107, you should get .164
    03-21-2016 07:50 PM

you will get all the sub builds/cumulative updates to 10586 there will be.
    some time this year (many speculate summer, but as I know MS it will be later ), Redstone will become the "production build" and it will be released to non-insiders. after this push there will be no further updates to 10586 and you will be stuck with the build you have (e.g. 10586.260 or whatever).

or: you could hack your registry and get Redstone builds (but I would not recommend this to a common user)
    03-22-2016 02:23 AM
    I don't get the metrics they chose to go by. On an expensive phone like the 1020, I can't just get myself a second one to load beta software on so Microsoft gets metrics. Neither do I have any idea where their "recommend" is supposed to be. I'm recommending it to real people in person. How about using metrics from people who use the phone for actual work - like number of photos uploaded to OneDrive in the last two months to judge engagement, and then do what needs to be done to serve your customer? This sounds like, "oops, we programmed it to where it takes more resources than most phones have" - could that perchance be poor programming/poor leadership? The 1020 is a phone for photography enthusiasts - and enthusiasts were one of Microsoft's three groups, weren't they? Is that also just smoke?
    W10 works fine on the 1020. This decision is not about bugs or performance. MS just doesn't want to put any resources in supporting older phones. It's easier and cheaper for MS to exclude older phones (and MS enthusiasts are getting "forced" to buy new phones).
    another (conspiracy?) theory is that MS wants to put an end to W10 Mobile and that's easier if your user base was smaller
    03-22-2016 02:25 AM
    Well, recent news speak tons. A few days ago I said that I might not upgrade at all, well MS took the choice from me. My last Nokia was N93, I dropped Symbian and Nokia altogether because the lack of support for this great camera-phone. I said that I would never buy Nokia again, but MS tricked me. Make a guess if I would ever buy MS running device ever again. That's not how you treat flagships, and also that's why you never EVER turn back to something you said you would never get, you just make the same mistake twice.
    vezycash likes this.
    03-22-2016 01:10 PM
    W10M runs fine on 1020. Except for vey bad battery drain. Why can't they just fix that??
    GenuineGypsy likes this.
    03-22-2016 02:15 PM
    I don't have a SIM in my 1020 right now so I don't know what the real standby drain is with the cell radio connected. But without a SIM, it is doing about 1%/hour in standby on WiFi (ie., about four days). That is pretty much exactly what it used to do on Windows 8.1.

Paul
    03-22-2016 03:03 PM
    W10M runs fine on 1020. Except for vey bad battery drain. Why can't they just fix that??
    Turn off glance or set to 15 min, change email to read inbox at a specific interval, turn off background apps
    Penguin apple likes this.
    03-22-2016 06:28 PM
    I think you might be overreacting. I felt like you when I heard the news. But then I thought, what the heck, I've got the chance to install W10M on this phone, so why not just do it and see if I like it? So, a couple of days ago, I installed the Windows Insider app, set it to the Release branch, and away it went downloading W10 .107 first. After that installed, it updated all my apps, which took a bit of time, but I made sure the phone was on charge while all this was happening. Then it downloaded .164 and installed that, which was faster. Some more apps updated. About an hour later it was "settled". I restarted, but didn't do any hard resets (I did a soft reset once after it took a bit too long to shut down and seemed to have hung, but it's not done that again).

So, how does it run? As smooth as butter! I really don't know what all the complaints are about. Everything upgraded smoothly, the camera is exactly the same as it was on Lumia camera, though it launches faster, there are actually far fewer "resuming" screens (they were plaguing me under 8.1). The system hasn't rebooted or crashed. It runs cool when in standby (no overheating). It does run a bit warmer than under 8.1 when I'm using an app such as Outlook, but this is no surprise given that the app is so much more sophisticated -- feels very much like Desktop Outlook.

The only downer is battery life when using the phone. It's probably about 70% of what it was, but it's hard to judge because I've been using the phone a lot more than under 8.1 what with trying out Edge, Outlook, the Office apps, etc. I am careful to "properly close" apps if I'm sure I won't need to go back to them in a session.

Try it out, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I have been. Unless battery life is a major concern for you (I have the charging shell for my 1020, so I tend to keep it on a charging plate when not using it at the Office and at Home, so battery isn't a big concern for me, and I don't really expect the phone to hold much charge after nearly three years of constant use).

Bottom line is, MS has provided a sophisticated OS for you, and you can have it on your phone if you want it. Try it before you complain so much, and definitely try it before you switch to Android. For me, so far, with no hard resets, W10M is running smoother than WP8.1 on my 1020.

Bugs: I'm not getting active email notifications (banners etc.) from Outlook despite having them turned on. I might need to reinstall it, but the tile shows the new emails, so it's not big deal for now. Cortana is a bit slow to launch, but she hears me fine and location-based reminders are working.

Oh, and if you like it, and MS really doesn't include the 1020 in future upgrades, you can install Redstone with the hack, once you're on W10M. I haven't done that yet, because I don't need it, and I only want stable, release-quality builds.

Is W10M for "the masses" (/sarc) on the Lumia 1020? No, because most people are happy with their phone as long as it works, and they would complain about the reduced battery life in a phone that already had poor battery life on WP8.1, and is probably deteriorating rapidly as it is after 3 years. MS probably made the right decision, but as usual they don't know how to communicate it. They should have said "Hey, Lumia 1020 owners, we've provided you with the option of installing a really good and stable build of W10M for your phones, and if you want to have it, just install the Insider app. However, we've determined that it should be your choice whether or not to install it, because W10M does demand more from your battery, so we're not going to recommend it officially for everyone who is happy with the way their phone runs right now. If you're keen, why not try it out, and if you don't like it, you can always reinstall 8.1 again. If you're happy with how your phone runs now, we'd recommend you stay on 8.1" If they'd put it that way, we probably wouldn't be grumbling so much.
    pankaj981 likes this.
    03-24-2016 07:35 AM
    I think you might be overreacting. I felt like you when I heard the news. But then I thought, what the heck, I've got the chance to install W10M on this phone, so why not just do it and see if I like it? So, a couple of days ago, I installed the Windows Insider app, set it to the Release branch, and away it went downloading W10 .107 first. After that installed, it updated all my apps, which took a bit of time, but I made sure the phone was on charge while all this was happening. Then it downloaded .164 and installed that, which was faster. Some more apps updated. About an hour later it was "settled". I restarted, but didn't do any hard resets (I did a soft reset once after it took a bit too long to shut down and seemed to have hung, but it's not done that again).

So, how does it run? As smooth as butter! I really don't know what all the complaints are about. Everything upgraded smoothly, the camera is exactly the same as it was on Lumia camera, though it launches faster, there are actually far fewer "resuming" screens (they were plaguing me under 8.1). The system hasn't rebooted or crashed. It runs cool when in standby (no overheating). It does run a bit warmer than under 8.1 when I'm using an app such as Outlook, but this is no surprise given that the app is so much more sophisticated -- feels very much like Desktop Outlook.

The only downer is battery life when using the phone. It's probably about 70% of what it was, but it's hard to judge because I've been using the phone a lot more than under 8.1 what with trying out Edge, Outlook, the Office apps, etc. I am careful to "properly close" apps if I'm sure I won't need to go back to them in a session.

Try it out, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I have been. Unless battery life is a major concern for you (I have the charging shell for my 1020, so I tend to keep it on a charging plate when not using it at the Office and at Home, so battery isn't a big concern for me, and I don't really expect the phone to hold much charge after nearly three years of constant use).

Bottom line is, MS has provided a sophisticated OS for you, and you can have it on your phone if you want it. Try it before you complain so much, and definitely try it before you switch to Android. For me, so far, with no hard resets, W10M is running smoother than WP8.1 on my 1020.

Bugs: I'm not getting active email notifications (banners etc.) from Outlook despite having them turned on. I might need to reinstall it, but the tile shows the new emails, so it's not big deal for now. Cortana is a bit slow to launch, but she hears me fine and location-based reminders are working.

Oh, and if you like it, and MS really doesn't include the 1020 in future upgrades, you can install Redstone with the hack, once you're on W10M. I haven't done that yet, because I don't need it, and I only want stable, release-quality builds.

Is W10M for "the masses" (/sarc) on the Lumia 1020? No, because most people are happy with their phone as long as it works, and they would complain about the reduced battery life in a phone that already had poor battery life on WP8.1, and is probably deteriorating rapidly as it is after 3 years. MS probably made the right decision, but as usual they don't know how to communicate it. They should have said "Hey, Lumia 1020 owners, we've provided you with the option of installing a really good and stable build of W10M for your phones, and if you want to have it, just install the Insider app. However, we've determined that it should be your choice whether or not to install it, because W10M does demand more from your battery, so we're not going to recommend it officially for everyone who is happy with the way their phone runs right now. If you're keen, why not try it out, and if you don't like it, you can always reinstall 8.1 again. If you're happy with how your phone runs now, we'd recommend you stay on 8.1" If they'd put it that way, we probably wouldn't be grumbling so much.
    I agree with you. The only bugs present on my lumia 1020 are the same as everyone else on every other device.

For your email notifications, check within the outlook mail app under settings for notification settings. Apparently you have to set them on in the app and in general settings section
    vezycash likes this.
    03-24-2016 08:09 AM
    For those who have upgraded to 10586.164 and then hard reset, does the hard reset improve battery life significantly other factors remaining constant?
    03-24-2016 08:10 AM
    Today is the 4th days using my L1020 with Win10 on 10586.164 after hard reset.

So far so good, only 3 things that I feel that it need to improve:
    1. Battery Life, need to turned off a lot of apps that run on background in order to have longer battery.
    2. Touch sensitive, can't find the setting to set it like Low, Medium or High. I think the default now is High, sometime it react when my finger haven't touch the surface.
    3. Animation Lags, it's not a very big issue, just sometime the animation transition like hang for less than 1 sec then respond.

Overall, Win10 on L1020 is ok, can't understand why Microsoft said it have a poor result on user experience. It's may not have the latest cpu but if iron out a few bugs & optimize it, L1020 still can on par with the latest mid range phone.
    03-24-2016 08:57 AM
    How many hours can you handle with a single charge?
    03-24-2016 10:31 AM
    For my 1020 it lasts a full working day after setting glance to 15 min, turning off most background apps and setting a specific time interval for email accounts to check the inbox.
    03-24-2016 12:22 PM
330 ... 89101112 ...