Is WM10 ready for use on the L1020?

photographerdan

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I've been trying out the windows 10 builds with my old lumia 920 which I keep as a backup phone. I knew i'd eventually get the 1020 updated to windows 10 once it became stable and that happened once build 10571 came out which ran really well on the 920 - 10581 came out shortly after and it was at that point good enough for my daily phone. Being as the hardware is very similar I knew if anything it would run even better on the 1020 since it has double the ram.

A few things to consider.

You will want to do a factory reset after updating to windows 10. You can try not to but even though the phone will seemingly work fine you'll come across some really critical glitches. Some really important functions and menus will overlap with older versions causing some issues which can't be remedied by rebooting or hard resets. You can successfully recover a very recent backup without ruining the stability of your phone though. Retrieving the data after the factory reset worked really well.

When you update the phone the process will take a very long time. I'd say I had the gears animation, black lifeless screens and loading bars that looked like they weren't going anywhere etc. . .for over an hr. Give it time, it will take longer than previous updates. Do not try resetting your phone or powering it off etc. . you will be one of the people on the forum talking about how the newest build is a joke and it ruined your phone. Don't be one of those people.

Choose the Lumia Camera as your default application for your camera. You may have to download it from the store. The new default camera app isn't capable of using all of the 1020's resolution. Despite other phones not allowing the use of lumia camera and instead rerouting you to the new camera software, microsoft has allowed it's use on the 1020.

Performance:

Battery life is great, just as good as the latest 8.1 build which for me was stellar. The phone is fast and very stable. I would say in most cases is outpaces 8.1 Some apps such as 6tag will load slower upon initial launch but overall everything works faster. Feels like a new phone, it's that good.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree with his findings - that 10581 is safer to be installed on one's daily driver than previous builds. I finally decided to upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile (still preview though) after reading the reviews and feedback (especially on stability). I upgraded without performing a hard reset first - so all my apps, photos and other relevant settings were carried over.

So far, after 7 hours, I've experienced some hiccups, lags (Store and Settings) and a high battery drain attributed to all the app updates the phone has been trying to do. Nonetheless, after the app updates, the phone performance was smooth (a lot smoother than when it was in WP8.1) and battery life is better. Lumia Camera (most critical!) launches faster and focuses more quickly.

All the other apps seem to work as expected, although I lost some of my pinned tiles (Groups, Settings) which I easily pinned back.

francis zver

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the update guys!!!! I had left my 1020 in the dust about a month ago, then I realized.... I missed it, and the phone resolution and windows phone in general. My work currently uses alot of google hangouts, which is why I left Windows Phone. But google released that they will be supporting Windows Phone 10, so I'll be covered soon.

The other thing that was missing was "Hey Cortana" for the 1020. And I know that this wont fix it, but I did get to try it on my currently new, (soon to be returned) android phone, and I know what I'm missing... which is.. not much.

I'll get started on installing WP10 on my 1020 tonight, and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Once again... thank you for letting us know that this build is good enough for at least, a daily workhorse :)

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Good to know. I am guessing that once the RTM is released on the 12th, it will be put in fast ring as well. I am gone to 10 at that time. Most all of the issues will be totally worked out by then.

francis zver

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Okay, updated my Lumia 1020 to 10581! Took bout 1.5 hours, but *shrugs* waited patiently. So far so good, so I'll update later tonight after a full day. Thanks again guys!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried taking a new photo or are you trying to auto-upload your older photos?

I've just tested the feature now - the photos in my "Saved Pictures" began auto-uploading, but not my Camera Roll photos.

One observation is that at few moments (seconds) after turning this feature on, an arrow appeared beside my Wi-Fi icon, indicating continuous net activity. Shortly after, photos began appearing in my OneDrive folder. So, if you don't have any photos in your Saved Folder, but the "arrow" still appears, then it may be uploading something else - just wait a bit since the L1020 photos taken with the new Camera are all large files.

Update: My Camera Roll photos taken after the feature was turned on were now uploaded automatically. Hence, the auto-upload feature would most likely work on your devices running build 10581 as well.

francis zver

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Okay, so I seem to may have not waited long enough?
I was at home with wifi, and I took a couple photos and waited an hour. And that didn't upload.
I enabled "over metered connections" and that worked.
Then I disabled "over metered connections" and took more photos, and that worked.

So i'm confused, but I guess it's working now as designed. Thanks for the help :)

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, working fine on my 1020 for a week so far. Lumia Camera is still there.

I've been using the new Camera (not Lumia Camera) more now - interface is similar and has new features, plus the fact that it no longer takes 5MP+34MP (two photos of different resolutions) since now it takes only one photo. The reframe function of Lumia Camera is no longer directly accessible through Lumia Camera - you need to go to the Photos App, tap on the photo you took and tap on "Open with Lumia Camera".

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I've been using the new Camera (not Lumia Camera) more now - interface is similar and has new features, plus the fact that it no longer takes 5MP+34MP (two photos of different resolutions) since now it takes only one photo. The reframe function of Lumia Camera is no longer directly accessible through Lumia Camera - you need to go to the Photos App, tap on the photo you took and tap on "Open with Lumia Camera".

The only issue with the app is the fact that it does NOT take 34mp photos. Photos from the camera app on the 1020 look horrible. Lumia camera is needed, until MS puts support for the big sensor in the new camera app.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I updated my 1020. Its def. daily driver duty. I am enjoying my phone for sure! I have to install and update my apps. But other than that its fast, and efficient. Also, camera takes the proper photos now!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
The only issue with the app is the fact that it does NOT take 34mp photos. Photos from the camera app on the 1020 look horrible. Lumia camera is needed, until MS puts support for the big sensor in the new camera app.

Are you sure? My (Windows) Camera app always takes 34 or 38 MP photos (depending on aspect ratio). The photos also don't look "horrible". I suspect that you're zooming into the photo but not waiting for the details of the zoomed image to load... it takes around 10 seconds for the full image resolution to load. The feedback section of the Photos App has numerous accounts on this sluggishness. If you don't wait for 10 seconds, all you'll see when you zoom in is a pixelated version of the full high resolution image.

Another bug is with the "infinity focus" setting - at this setting, the camera isn't actually focused at infinity, since distant objects will appear out of focus while nearby objects (around 5 meters) will appear in focus. To compensate, I have never set my focus to infinity, but rather manually set the focal point such that whatever I'm shooting (whether nearby or distant) is always in focus.

Check these two things, and verify if the Camera app performance in build 10581 is still not good.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
No zooming in for me. There was a big difference in photos in the Lumia and windows camera apps in w10. I am using the Lumia camera app now and its much better.

sarthakm

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Updated a few days ago and got nothing but "Loading..." at the start screen. Was the same issue I had months ago with early builds and it still hasn't been fixed. Reverted back to WP8.1.

Attempting another update and hard reset thereafter. Will post how it goes.

Aziz Yankee

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys! I've updated from my Lumia 1020 to Windows 10.10581 Mobile.

I've got some problems with updating the following apps:
Extras & Info
Lumia Help+Tips
Here Maps
call+sms filter
device hub
msn news
msn weather
nokia account
display
access point
audio
network services
rate your device

I receive an error and they wouldn't update.

Besides, most important question - how do I download Lumia Camera? I can't find it on Store :(

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys! I've updated from my Lumia 1020 to Windows 10.10581 Mobile.

I've got some problems with updating the following apps:
Extras & Info
Lumia Help+Tips
Here Maps
call+sms filter
device hub
msn news
msn weather
nokia account
display
access point
audio
network services
rate your device

I receive an error and they wouldn't update.

Besides, most important question - how do I download Lumia Camera? I can't find it on Store :(

Lumia Camera is now WINDOWS CAMERA in W10M. Search that...

Also, about the apps errors...Have you done a HARD RESET after the Update? Hold VOL DOWN + POWER until you feel a vibration. May take 30-45 sec....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb