Is WM10 ready for use on the L1020?

ramiusm

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
W10M on the 1020 drains the battery a lot more than WP8.1, but it's a better operating system overall. Just have to make sure you have access to a portable battery charger etc. The Edge browser is an excellent browser.

triturbo

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi there, just got officially into WM (holding my phone in hands that is, waited almost a month to get it). I think this is the proper topic, since it's related to W10 experience. I have a couple of questions, does the W10 debrands the phone? Mine is O2 version (because 64gigs) and I wonder if I should go through the hassle to debrand it, or just update to Denim (currently on Cyan) and wait for the official W10.
The second - USB OTG? If it's still not supported I wonder if attaching a powered hub would do the trick (that's what I think the hardware issue is - not able to supply voltage back to the USB port, other than the software support that is).

ramiusm

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
You got the 64GB version of the 1020? Yum! Since you're on 8.1, update it to Denim. I've just switched back to 8.1 because I have experienced significant battery drain and some bugs with Lumia Camera and Groove. In my opinion, you'll need to be able to endure manually-forced reboots and some usability bugs if you want to use W10 on this. If you want to try W10M, you will want to use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to initialise the device to vanilla 8.1 (this will effectively debrand the unit), then install the Windows Insider app and use either the Slow Ring or Fast Ring. For USB OTG, it is not supported on the 1020. I don't think using a hub will help you in this regard. Worth a try, though.

Last edited:

francis zver

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Update on using my phone:

So i have the 32GB 1020, with OS build 10.0.10586.36

I use it on the daily, and I've been trying to see how life is like with the battery problems. I'd have to say that just like everyone else here, I'm getting less battery life. Though this reminds me of the type of battery life that the 1020 had when it was first released, before the OS "Settled in" . It's been more than 3 weeks with this build, and the OS hasnt settled in. So I'm strongly thinking about having to accept the current battery life.

My only crutch is that I have the camera case / external battery. With this case connected, I'm able to get the battery life I had before. Since the photos on this thing is still pretty amazing, I'm going to keep the phone for as long as I can. :) All i'm really hoping now is that Google follows up with it's promise of bringing a native hangouts app for WM10. I need it for work.

ramiusm

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Yeah. I felt the battery life was too lacking for me. I too, use the camera grip, albeit occasionally (only when I travel or need a tripod mount). If Hangouts does come to W10M, that would be great! I used IM+ for GoogleTalk (the old name for Google Hangouts) on WP 8.1. You can still use that for Hangouts, but just text messaging - no video support.

francis zver

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Okay I'm on build 10.0.10586.63, battery life is about the same and the mobile sharing bug still exists. I still have to use the Circulo Clock app to keep the screen on for mobile data sharing to keep working with my tablet. I'll update after a couple days.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

francis zver

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Francis. Is the Lumia Camera app still buggy in this version?

I did not have it installed as of your message. So I tried the following:

1) I was not able to search and find it in the store
2) I was able to find it in under owned apps
3) I was able to reinstall it
4) I was able to launch it
5) I was able to take a photo with raw enabled
6) i was able to verify a raw file was created

*note i have phone dev mode enabled to allow me to sideload apps

mymarcio

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I finally bit the bullet last night and installed 10586.63.

The upgrade seems to have gone smooth and I didn't follow some of the advice (clean install). I wanted to try the upgrade path and see how polished this version was in terms of usability.

Concerns:
- My battery took a huge hit, but I am assuming it's from the system trying to optimize some settings in the background and probably downloading the messages again or something. From 7AM to 12:30PM the battery was 0%
- While the phone was plugged in charging at some point the power fell from 9% to 8%, which I don't recall ever losing battery when doing tasks plugged in.
- When I restarted the phone, I was not able to access the Action Center (Notification Center). Swiping down would not bring it down. Eventually after the fourth restart... it just started working again.
- Interface animations sometimes seems to stutter when changing from App to App, but the performance doesn't seem impacted.

Speed:
Apps seem to open faster like Facebook, Maps. I haven't played around with the camera to see a difference.
Lumia Camera - when going to settings I still see the option to take the 5MP + 34MP (DNG). Not sure if this was addressed in a recent update or if by upgrading I was able to keep that choice. From what I've read some users don't see the option for RAW.

I haven't tried all the apps but will try to update as I go through it.

Questions:For some reason when texting people, some of my texts have black text, while others have white text... I am not sending MMS or SMS differently so I am not sure why that's happening.

ramiusm

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the update. I realised that some of my OneNote entries never got backed up when I was using the previous build of W10M. Hope they will fix that too.

mymarcio

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
When I tried to use OneNote today, it wouldn't open. It kept taking me to the store, but the store said that I already had it installed. If I clicked on the link to open it, it would bring me back to the store. Later in the evening there was an update for OneNote and now it's working.

I've been a bit frustrated with the Pictures app and Messaging App.

Messaging
is slow to open and when I get texts, the phone doesn't vibrate or ring even if the sound is on. Sometimes the App crashes or doesn't open several times. If someone texts me and I go in from the notification center, it takes around 30 seconds to open / load the message.

Pictures is taking its sweet time to load and sometimes crashes.

Around 9:30PM my phone got another update, I don't know if anyone did, but it's the same build but I don't know if it changed the version. It's listed right now as Version 1511.

I'm also aware that I didn't do a hard reset after installing the build... so maybe that's why all these things are not as smooth.

For the amount of time my phone was also plugged in today, I was never able to get past 50% battery charged. I am hoping that after a full night of charge I can get a better sense of how much the battery truly lasts with Windows 10.

mymarcio

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hm... Did it eventually get fixed for you or did you roll back? I am contemplating in doing a HARD RESET, but would rather not if it won't solve the issue if it's known to be a built issue.

mymarcio

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Anyways my report for today:

After letting the phone sit overnight with nothing running, the battery was full by the time it was 7:30AM.
This was a terrible experience though haha...

100% at 7:30AM

93% 7:45AM to 7:55AM Went back and forth texting a few friends. Checked Facebook App and deleted a few emails in Outlook -7
30% at 11:30, having the phone on standby. -63%
25% Responded to a few messages (less than 5 mins) and lost 5% in just this time.
Plugged In left the phone charging for 1.5hrs, battery recovered was only 6 for 31%

The battery life has been significantly hurt. According to Battery Saver:

System: 32.6
Display: 62

In Use: 88.5
Background: 11.5

Microsoft Messaging 42.6
I don't understand how this app uses the most. I used other messaging apps like facebook longer with only 1.8 usage...
Windows Default Lock Screen 25.7
Windows Feedback 7.6

These numbers just seem insane. :) I send on average 5,000 texts a month, and my messaging app was probably one of the lowest power consumption apps on 8.1.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Anyways my report for today:

After letting the phone sit overnight with nothing running, the battery was full by the time it was 7:30AM.
This was a terrible experience though haha...

100% at 7:30AM

93% 7:45AM to 7:55AM Went back and forth texting a few friends. Checked Facebook App and deleted a few emails in Outlook -7
30% at 11:30, having the phone on standby. -63%
25% Responded to a few messages (less than 5 mins) and lost 5% in just this time.
Plugged In left the phone charging for 1.5hrs, battery recovered was only 6 for 31%

The battery life has been significantly hurt. According to Battery Saver:

System: 32.6
Display: 62

In Use: 88.5
Background: 11.5

Microsoft Messaging 42.6
I don't understand how this app uses the most. I used other messaging apps like facebook longer with only 1.8 usage...
Windows Default Lock Screen 25.7
Windows Feedback 7.6

These numbers just seem insane. :) I send on average 5,000 texts a month, and my messaging app was probably one of the lowest power consumption apps on 8.1.

about messaging,

unlink from skype as that has been the major issue. Sign out of skype and any other skype service on the phone

You'll improve battery life by a great margin

francis zver

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
about messaging,

unlink from skype as that has been the major issue. Sign out of skype and any other skype service on the phone

Tossing my 2 cents in here, and saying I did this a while back, and it definitely increases the battery life on the phone.

mymarcio

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
about messaging,

Tossing my 2 cents in here, and saying I did this a while back, and it definitely increases the battery life on the phone.

Thanks for the suggestions. I want to continue trying using Windows 10 Mobile, but I might just have to roll back.
Even after disabling Skype the stability seems to be really off.

I was excited when I searched for this post and saw that it seemed possible to have the phone as a daily driver, but truth be told it seems like it's not. So I don't want my feedback to be taken as a rant, because I knew what I was signing up for. I am just hopping that my observations let other users know that as of 1/14/2016, the build is not stable enough to depend on based on battery life and the ability to do basic tasks such as texting.

Messaging:
- The app doesn't alert me of new text messages
- The battery drain is excessive
- The app takes too long to load in the following scenarios:
--- Loading list of conversations (takes around 10~15 seconds)
--- Loading a contacts conversation (takes around 20 seconds)
--- Sending a text message after hitting send (sometimes takes 30 seconds)
--- Sometimes the app won't load at all and crashes.

I received an update for messaging yesterday but it didn't improve any of the problems above.
Yesterday trying to send 4 texts, took me almost 5 minutes... where before i could have probably accomplished it in less than one minute.

This is how it went down:
Messages (wait 15 seconds) > pick a conversation to continue (wait 20 seconds) > write message > press send (15 seconds for message to go from input to sent) > go back > select new conversation (wait 15 seconds for conversation to load) > write message > press send (15 seconds for message to send)

In contrast to how it was in 8.1:
Message > pick a thread > write message > press send > back button > new conversation > write message > send
(none of these tasks had any delay...)

Windows 10 Feedback: I've seen that most of this feedback is already in the Windows Feedback app as "received"

Camera:
I haven't been able to open the camera successfully today.

Outlook, Pictures, Calendar, OneNote, OneDrive, Word, Excel, Groove, Store, Maps, Facebook, Messenger
These native (Microsoft) apps crash often when trying to open.

The graphical glitches, though I might make note of them, I don't really care (in Beta) as long as it doesn't affect performance or keeps me from performing a task.

I did purchase the Lumia 950XL and returned it after using it for 7 days -- the OS felt unpolished then and the text messages weren't even being recovered from the cloud after several days. I've been wanting to get my hands on it again -- but I can't justify the premium cost when the OS seems to still need a lot of work.

Still debating if I should roll back today and use my old 920 to keep testing Windows 10 Mobile until the time I feel like maybe it's ready. Who knows.

MY EMO RANT~
I probably am experiencing what many other users are -- burn out and lack of excitement from the constant bashing of the media and my positive expectations being short lived. I do like where the new Microsoft is headed, but perhaps after all those layoffs they could start rebuilding a team that is able to assist in polishing some of these bugs faster. [insert sad emoji face]

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte