Is WM10 ready for use on the L1020?

mymarcio

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
So... i did hard reset it.

As I mentioned before, I upgraded the phone but didn't do a hard reset.
So the posts above are the experience for a phone without a hard reset. (I know I ignored everyone's advice, but I just wanted to see how it went.)

My experience right now seems a bit better.

Initial Set Up:
I didn't restore my settings, just plugged in my windows live account.

Battery Life
The phone was at 30%, when I started the setup. Even though I was plugged in to the power, during this process of installing and downloading apps and restoring text messages. Now that everything as finished setting up though, I seem to be able to use the phone, charge it without feeling it overheat or losing power.

Apps:
Deleted all the AT&T and HERE Apps that came with the phone
Updated all the native apps (Phone, Glance, Extras, Touch, People, Messaging, Facebook, Maps, Calculator, Calendar, Outlook, etc.)
During this process the battery was still being drained even though it was plugged (30% > 20%)

After everything updated, I restarted the phone.

Installed additional apps that use such as 6tin, Photoshop, Messenger, Lumia Camera

Messaging
It now seems to load faster. Sometimes I get the loading screen for a few seconds, but the texts and conversations load faster.
I suspect this has something to do with the fact that it hasn't restored all the conversations, so there are only 200 texts to load, versus 4 years worth. Though I have it set to restore all my texts, they aren't being pulled in. Some conversations are being restored but many are restoring the same text duplicated. Most conversations are not being fully restored (not the recent stuff... nor the oldest, just randomly restored bits of texts here and there... annoying.) I also can't see the status of the restoring of texts,

Responding to texts is also now faster.

Operating System
The operating system does seem faster in some areas, where before I felt like it lacked performance.

It really seems like I might be able to give W10 a shot for now... (knock on wood).
So to summarize the topic of this thread... W10 might be ok to use as a daily driver (contrary to my previous belief) but HARD RESET is really necessary or you will most likely experience the same terrible problems I did in the previous threads.

Now I just have to sit and wait for someone to say "you wouldn't have to have gone through it if you followed all the directions on the initial thread!" :winktongue:

ramiusm

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Is the 1020 now functioning properly after a hard reset? To answer another earlier post, I was not able to overcome the errors you faced with the Messaging app, and eventually, after a week with W10M on the 1020, I had to go back to 8.1.

mymarcio

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to jinx it, but so far the phone is working and nothing has really crashed since the hard reset. The messaging app also seems to be working and loading faster. There has been very few instances where it takes 5~10 seconds to load the conversation threads, but the conversations themselves have loaded fairly quickly.

I am noticing that the restoring of all texts from all time is not working properly still and I am hoping I didn't lose any messages.

But I am able to use the texting function now normally for the most part -- which was a really let down. Apps like Facebook and Messenger also seem to load much faster on 10 than they did on 8.1. I noticed that the interface also looks a bit different but they could have updated FB these past few days and i wouldn't know since when I installed it yesterday that's when it started looking different.

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Okay I'm on build 10.0.10586.63, battery life is about the same and the mobile sharing bug still exists. I still have to use the Circulo Clock app to keep the screen on for mobile data sharing to keep working with my tablet. I'll update after a couple days.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

How are you using Circulo to do that ?

francis zver

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
How are you using Circulo to do that ?

Circulo clock app requires no permissions so it's pretty safe. And theres an option to keep screen on. I just keep screen on while I need to be a hotspot.... Kills the battery but doesn't matter if you only need it for 30 min or if youre plugged in. :).

The hotspot feature still fails if your screen goes to sleep... This stops that .

mymarcio

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Since I've had a chance to now use the phone after the full Hard Reset, I feel am at a loss of words.
This build does seem pretty stable and battery life now that the phone is done doing the updates seems to be better.

I also want to retract a statement i made earlier about the phone not even being able to charge while in use.
The timing when it started happening was purely coincidental but the charger/wire were faulty and it was taking hours to just charge any device when using it.

To compare the Battery Usage, the new report holds a much better outlook:

System: 47%
Display: 40.3%
In Use: 86.7%
Background: 13.3%
Microsoft Messaging 27%

Facebook 8.7%
One Drive 8.2%

This seems a bit more normal and even when checking estimated time remaining (after removing it from the charger, it looked like what it did when I had Windows 8.1 (1 day 15 hours)

Now of course that doesn't always hold true, and the battery doesn't seem to last as long as it did on 8.1, but I admit because the apps load faster in comparison (especially the ones that are being optimized for 10) I feel like I find myself using the phone more often. In my rant above, I go into how I am feeling frustrated, bla bla bla... but now I am experiencing the opposite. My Lumia 1020 feels like a new phone and it's actually exciting to use it.

If I was to add anything to my wish list would be to just really optimize and fix the Messaging app (to restore all the texts, improve load speeds) and of course improve battery life overall.

I've read some complaints about the new keyboard and swype, but I must admit, i am enjoying the new keyboard a lot. I also love that now I can swype in Portuguese PT, where before it was just acceptable to Portuguese BR (which is confusing since Portugal and Brazil signed an orthographic agreement on how words should be spelled)

I noticed that new emoji's have been added like (two man holding hands for example, they displayed before, but we couldn't text them ourselves from the options) but there are still other emoji that are not available for selection like "EN, BR, PT, IR" etc and if someone was to text you the "bottle of champaign" that shows up as a square. Of course these are things that don't really impact functionality but for the emoji / social media type this will probably still annoy them.

Something I forgot to consider. When connecting Windows 10 to your car, there is a new dashboard that allows you access quick apps. The interface seemed nice, but I don't recall it's name to reference it. I might start a better log somewhere of the things I like, things I dislike and mark them off as fixed/improved for fun but... Now that I have 10 installed I should get up to speed by watching some tips and tricks that I might not know about it.

I'm really glad someone started this thread. Though it started as a challenge, this has allowed me to hold off on buying the 950 and possibly get one more year from my 1020 until the next best thing comes out. (Unless I win the 950 sweeps through Bing Rewards, which I don't count on.) :D

ramiusm

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Mymarcio, for the very useful post. Do all the built-in apps work properly after the hard reset? Apps such as OneNote (I had issues with it backing up), Groove (intermittent crashes), Messaging (sudden rebooting), Facebook (crash when trying to post a photo), Lumia Camera (photo didn't save to phone after I took it). How much worse is the battery life on W10 compared to WP8.1 after the hard reset? Any stability issues encountered?

ramiusm

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I just installed the .63 build, and did a hard reset in the 1020. So far so good. OneNote seems to work fine, as does Lumia Camera and Messaging. Will update again after a week.

ramiusm

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
So far, OneNote still exhibits a bug when trying to attach a photo to a note - it will work when the photo already exists, but won't work when I activate the camera within OneNote to take a pic.

mymarcio

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Onenote works for me but doesn't let me use the share button. Battery life improved by an hour or two but not much. I'd say I get 6 hours out of it in comparison to the actual 12- 15 I'd get from normal use.

Recently I also noticed that the Maps app keeps crashing and doesn't get my location. My phone tends to have 4-10 reports to be submitted via insider everyday. I am wondering if the system is always performing some type of diagnosis and that's why the battery is dying. According to battery saver its messaging that's the culprit.

I did just notice recently that we can respond to messages from the lock screen by swiping down. I knew of the feature but wasn't aware it was already implemented. 6tin already supports it too which is pretty neat.

To respond to your question, most built in apps are working fine from my experience but maps do far.

tanager

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
I recently installed .63 on my 1020, lumia camera had hiccups and crashes so I just use the ms camera app now. the only other issues I have noticed since using win10 on the 1020 is the response time of cortana is not as smooth and accurate as on win8.1 and the loss of here drive and maps. other than that, its actually running fine, my battery life is the same as 8.1

francis zver

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I recently installed .63 on my 1020, lumia camera had hiccups and crashes so I just use the ms camera app now. the only other issues I have noticed since using win10 on the 1020 is the response time of cortana is not as smooth and accurate as on win8.1 and the loss of here drive and maps. other than that, its actually running fine, my battery life is the same as 8.1

WIth .63, I was able to reinstall lumia camera app, and it helped with the performance of the app a little bit. Though, sometimes i still get "ghost" edges that are left from the screen refreshing from a snapshot. They disappear after a moment.

And I agree, the Cortana response time is noticbly slower, however I'm hoping with a finalized build, this would speed up.

Double check in the store if you can still reinstall it, and give that a shot?

tanager

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
thanks man, that did the trick, launched it 5 times, no crashes and response time was pretty good
i'll take a few test shots in the weekend

by any chance, is there a way to get here drive and maps installed again? I don't see it listed in the store anymore and reading some posts, it seems some still have it since they were on earlier win10 builds but if you're on .63 you're out of luck

ramiusm

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Which app, MS or Lumia?
The .63 update seemed to have solved the problems that I had with Lumia Camera. I use the Windows Camera for photography now, and Lumia Camera only when I need to take a full resolution photo. So far so good. W10M is definitely slower on the 1020 than WP8.1, but still usable.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
new issue I noticed in the past 2 weeks. It only happens when I have taken a lot of photos (think 200+) in a day

I think it's the OIS that fails sometimes. I take a shot and it's really blurry. Like several images have been combined into one though with small shifts so the whole photo is scrap.

Is this because of failing OIS when being pushed for a long time with a lot of photos? Or w10M?

If it happens again, I'll save the photo and upload it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa