Is WM10 ready for use on the L1020?

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 1020 not on list of official Windows 10 release

My Thoughts :

Not supporting 1020 is ridiculous, this phone was the one that finally got some respect for the brand, turned heads and brought respect for both the manufacturer and the OS that ran it.
IT WAS MADE A BLINDING YELLOW COLOR FOR A REASON.
Windows 10 .164 runs great on the device, (only issue for me is recording in mono) EVERYTHING ELSE works.
Leaving what I would consider a "FLAGSHIP" phone of the official list would look to many as a ****, why not support a device that caught the imagination of many.
The Camera alone is still the Camera to judge all others by.
It's still the only phone that looks different to any curious mind.
To not support this phone is nothing short of a DISGRACE, I'm sure this lack of support for a device that is still considered "modern" will remain in the minds of MS faithful regarding future purchases of what is marketed as an OBVIOUS ATTENTION SEEKING DEVICE, an almost future proof/respected device.
YET THROWN TO THE CURB.
I and many others won't forget this lack of support

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 1020 not on list of official Windows 10 release

Not "yet" on the list. Regardless, use the Insider Program to get .164 now.

Update: Looks like there won't be a "yet" anymore.

Last edited:

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site

My Thoughts :

Not supporting 1020 is ridiculous, this phone was the one that finally got some respect for the brand, turned heads and brought respect for both the manufacturer and the OS that ran it.
IT WAS MADE A BLINDING YELLOW COLOR FOR A REASON.
Windows 10 .164 runs great on the device, (only issue for me is recording in mono) EVERYTHING ELSE works.
Leaving what I would consider a "FLAGSHIP" phone of the official list would look to many as a ****, why not support a device that caught the imagination of many.
The Camera alone is still the Camera to judge all others by.
It's still the only phone that looks different to any curious mind.
To not support this phone is nothing short of a DISGRACE, I'm sure this lack of support for a device that is still considered "modern" will remain in the minds of MS faithful regarding future purchases of what is marketed as an OBVIOUS ATTENTION SEEKING DEVICE, an almost future proof/respected device.
YET THROWN TO THE CURB.
I and many others won't forget this lack of support

I'm sure you would be saying the same thing if you owned a 520 or something.

Sent from mTalk

Jozef jurcisin

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Nokia Lumia 810 was announced in October 2012, and went on sale solely through T-Mobile shortly afterwards. Just six months later, in April 2013, the handset was removed from sale!

Now my second Lumia 1020 I need to dump away! Phuck you MS!

coozman

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

Re-installed W10 this past weekend for the 3rd time - and and bottom line is that the phone just cant handle it. God awful performance. Lagged, MS Edge performed at dial up speed if at all - been running W10 on a 640 and it blew away the 1020. Time for an upgrade...

Jim Bob4

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

Installed WM10 on my 1020 and it runs fine. I suggest a reset afterwards.

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site

Installed WM10 on my 1020 and it runs fine. I suggest a reset afterwards.

Mine runs WM10 .164 really well, no issues at all, battery last well, hard reset is really important. The only thing that annoys me about it is the fact it won't record in stereo

coozman

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

Hmmmm - interesting. Did a hard reset with a fresh install - nothing restored. Was def running slower than with 8.1 and Edge was truly unuseable. Navigating any website was very painful and slow. Wonder what the differences could be?

farhanaxiq

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

It running just fine on my 1020, battery is excellent, except groove music flickering(which affect all phone with w10m 10586) and camera not recording in stereo( firmware update needed?)

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

you can use a registry hack to change your phone's ID. that way you can install Redstone builds on the 1020 (just sayin')

Govind Katkamwar

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Wp10 will not be available for Lumia 1020. I just found upgrade advisor app in the store which says "Your phone is not supported for the upgrade to windows 10." Hard luck for Lumia 1020. :(

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

am sure MS have paid more attention to earlier(bad) insider feedback for the 1020 and based it on that, whereas if they knew the results for end users with more recent builds, which, i repeat again, for me, is better than official 8.1, then we might have a different result.

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

I am outraged....to put it mildly. I have had W10 on my 1020 for many months and have no performance issues AT ALL. I have no idea what MS is talking about. And further, I am outraged that they made the determination FOR ME re: whether or not I would be happy with my phone after upgrading. I upgraded (Windows Insider), I'm happy. What did I miss?

Fortunately, I was participating in the insider program and so have a copy of W10 on my 1020. But I guess I'm done with the insider program.... since it is done with me. And I guess that means I'm stuck on the build I have.... no more updates. Bad, MS. BAD.

Beyond all this, I had been counting on MS and Windows 10 to be a real alternative to Android. Where Google and Android seem happy to abandon phones after a couple years, it was looking like MS was different in that they separated the OS from the "radio" and would support old phones as long as they could still run the OS. I guess not. My 1020 runs W10 just fine but MS decided that I would not like it so they no longer support it on my phone. That makes them no better than the Android OEMs.

Why should I buy a new Windows phone now (was considering the 950), knowing that it will be abandoned just as quickly and surely as any Android phone? That was a MAJOR reason to switch to a Windows phone.

MS, you blew it big time in my book. I'm very VERY disappointed in you. Instead of listening to insider feedback and addressing issues, you decided to just drop us. I feel every bit as betrayed as I did when Motorola did that to me.... twice... first with the Atrix 4G and then with my lovely Moto X. This is NOT the way to build a Windows 10 mobile user base!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

OdysseasP

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site

Microsoft didn’t upgrade Nokia Lumia 1020, which features Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus (MSM8960) & 2GB RAM, to Windows 10 Mobile because of “performance issues”, while at the same time it announced officially that devices such as Microsoft Lumia 430 & Microsoft Lumia 435, which both feature Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 (MSM8210) & 1GB RAM will be upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile. According to cpuboss.com the performance advantage of the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus (MSM8960) in comparison to the Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 (MSM8210) is insane. Furthermore, the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus (MSM8960) is manufactured using a 28nm process allowing for a more powerful, yet cooler running processor in comparison to the Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 (MSM8210) which is manufactured using a 45nm process. Also, the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus (MSM8960) is clocked at 1.5GHz featuring Krait core micro architecture (custom ARM Cortex-A9 core micro architecture), while the Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 (MSM8210) is clocked at 1.2 GHz featuring standard ARM Cortex-A7 core micro architecture. The benefit to a custom design is typically better power and performance characteristics compared to the more easily synthesizable designs you get directly from ARM. The L2 cache per core of the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus (MSM8960) is 0.5 MB/core, while the L2 cache per core of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 (MSM8210) is 0.25 MB/core. Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus (MSM8960) features a dual channel built in memory controller while the Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 (MSM8210) features a single channel built in memory controller. At 3.3 DMIPS/MHz (Dhrystone Millions of Instructions per Second/MHz), Krait should be around 30% faster than a Cortex A9 (2.5 DMIPS/MHz) running at the same frequency and around 100% faster than a Cortex A7 running at the same frequency. All the above support the fact that Microsoft simply was too afraid to put in direct competition a smartphone which was released almost three years ago (Nokia Lumia 1020) with their current flagships (Microsoft Lumia 950 & Microsoft Lumia 950XL) by providing them with the same operating system (Windows 10 Mobile). Instead, it consciously chose to cripple the Nokia Lumia 1020 by deciding not to upgrade it to its latest operating system (Windows 10 Mobile), giving a software advantage to their latest flagships since obviously it believed that if it didn’t do so, they wouldn’t be able to compete with the Nokia Lumia 1020, despite the three years which separate them. Their argument of satisfactory user experience for deciding against upgrading Nokia Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 Mobile would stand if they hadn’t upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile smartphones such as the Microsoft Lumia 430 & Microsoft Lumia 435, which both feature a less capable SoC and have half the amount of RAM in comparison to the Nokia Lumia 1020.

draco76x

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

I was quite disappoint when I came to know that L1020 was not in the list & what Microsoft had "promise" that all model is upgradable to Win10 mobile.

I can accept this "IF" there's a phone that replacement of L1020 so at least I have a choice & excuse that "Hey, L1020 is old, like my old N82 with end of support, time to change". But this was not the case, they just give me a false hope that L1020 maybe old in hardware but the "power" of the Win10 core is able to push it's limit that what Win8.1 can't do.

Anyway, I've joined the Insider Program and install the WM10 .164, to play with it. At the same time, looking out for new phone on Android camp since Microsoft already letting me to "choose" which camp to join.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

Makes no difference what the specs are.. That is what the insiders program was all about, trying the OS and giving feedback.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven