Is WM10 ready for use on the L1020?

triturbo

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Well, recent news speak tons. A few days ago I said that I might not upgrade at all, well MS took the choice from me. My last Nokia was N93, I dropped Symbian and Nokia altogether because the lack of support for this great camera-phone. I said that I would never buy Nokia again, but MS tricked me. Make a guess if I would ever buy MS running device ever again. That's not how you treat flagships, and also that's why you never EVER turn back to something you said you would never get, you just make the same mistake twice.

EJMDC

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Re: Lumia 1020 not on list of official Windows 10 release

W10M runs fine on 1020. Except for vey bad battery drain. Why can't they just fix that??

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

I don't have a SIM in my 1020 right now so I don't know what the real standby drain is with the cell radio connected. But without a SIM, it is doing about 1%/hour in standby on WiFi (ie., about four days). That is pretty much exactly what it used to do on Windows 8.1.

Paul

Jim Bob4

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

W10M runs fine on 1020. Except for vey bad battery drain. Why can't they just fix that??
Turn off glance or set to 15 min, change email to read inbox at a specific interval, turn off background apps

Peribanu

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
I think you might be overreacting. I felt like you when I heard the news. But then I thought, what the heck, I've got the chance to install W10M on this phone, so why not just do it and see if I like it? So, a couple of days ago, I installed the Windows Insider app, set it to the Release branch, and away it went downloading W10 .107 first. After that installed, it updated all my apps, which took a bit of time, but I made sure the phone was on charge while all this was happening. Then it downloaded .164 and installed that, which was faster. Some more apps updated. About an hour later it was "settled". I restarted, but didn't do any hard resets (I did a soft reset once after it took a bit too long to shut down and seemed to have hung, but it's not done that again).

So, how does it run? As smooth as butter! I really don't know what all the complaints are about. Everything upgraded smoothly, the camera is exactly the same as it was on Lumia camera, though it launches faster, there are actually far fewer "resuming" screens (they were plaguing me under 8.1). The system hasn't rebooted or crashed. It runs cool when in standby (no overheating). It does run a bit warmer than under 8.1 when I'm using an app such as Outlook, but this is no surprise given that the app is so much more sophisticated -- feels very much like Desktop Outlook.

The only downer is battery life when using the phone. It's probably about 70% of what it was, but it's hard to judge because I've been using the phone a lot more than under 8.1 what with trying out Edge, Outlook, the Office apps, etc. I am careful to "properly close" apps if I'm sure I won't need to go back to them in a session.

Try it out, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I have been. Unless battery life is a major concern for you (I have the charging shell for my 1020, so I tend to keep it on a charging plate when not using it at the Office and at Home, so battery isn't a big concern for me, and I don't really expect the phone to hold much charge after nearly three years of constant use).

Bottom line is, MS has provided a sophisticated OS for you, and you can have it on your phone if you want it. Try it before you complain so much, and definitely try it before you switch to Android. For me, so far, with no hard resets, W10M is running smoother than WP8.1 on my 1020.

Bugs: I'm not getting active email notifications (banners etc.) from Outlook despite having them turned on. I might need to reinstall it, but the tile shows the new emails, so it's not big deal for now. Cortana is a bit slow to launch, but she hears me fine and location-based reminders are working.

Oh, and if you like it, and MS really doesn't include the 1020 in future upgrades, you can install Redstone with the hack, once you're on W10M. I haven't done that yet, because I don't need it, and I only want stable, release-quality builds.

Is W10M for "the masses" (/sarc) on the Lumia 1020? No, because most people are happy with their phone as long as it works, and they would complain about the reduced battery life in a phone that already had poor battery life on WP8.1, and is probably deteriorating rapidly as it is after 3 years. MS probably made the right decision, but as usual they don't know how to communicate it. They should have said "Hey, Lumia 1020 owners, we've provided you with the option of installing a really good and stable build of W10M for your phones, and if you want to have it, just install the Insider app. However, we've determined that it should be your choice whether or not to install it, because W10M does demand more from your battery, so we're not going to recommend it officially for everyone who is happy with the way their phone runs right now. If you're keen, why not try it out, and if you don't like it, you can always reinstall 8.1 again. If you're happy with how your phone runs now, we'd recommend you stay on 8.1" If they'd put it that way, we probably wouldn't be grumbling so much.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I think you might be overreacting. I felt like you when I heard the news. But then I thought, what the heck, I've got the chance to install W10M on this phone, so why not just do it and see if I like it? So, a couple of days ago, I installed the Windows Insider app, set it to the Release branch, and away it went downloading W10 .107 first. After that installed, it updated all my apps, which took a bit of time, but I made sure the phone was on charge while all this was happening. Then it downloaded .164 and installed that, which was faster. Some more apps updated. About an hour later it was "settled". I restarted, but didn't do any hard resets (I did a soft reset once after it took a bit too long to shut down and seemed to have hung, but it's not done that again).

So, how does it run? As smooth as butter! I really don't know what all the complaints are about. Everything upgraded smoothly, the camera is exactly the same as it was on Lumia camera, though it launches faster, there are actually far fewer "resuming" screens (they were plaguing me under 8.1). The system hasn't rebooted or crashed. It runs cool when in standby (no overheating). It does run a bit warmer than under 8.1 when I'm using an app such as Outlook, but this is no surprise given that the app is so much more sophisticated -- feels very much like Desktop Outlook.

The only downer is battery life when using the phone. It's probably about 70% of what it was, but it's hard to judge because I've been using the phone a lot more than under 8.1 what with trying out Edge, Outlook, the Office apps, etc. I am careful to "properly close" apps if I'm sure I won't need to go back to them in a session.

Try it out, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I have been. Unless battery life is a major concern for you (I have the charging shell for my 1020, so I tend to keep it on a charging plate when not using it at the Office and at Home, so battery isn't a big concern for me, and I don't really expect the phone to hold much charge after nearly three years of constant use).

Bottom line is, MS has provided a sophisticated OS for you, and you can have it on your phone if you want it. Try it before you complain so much, and definitely try it before you switch to Android. For me, so far, with no hard resets, W10M is running smoother than WP8.1 on my 1020.

Bugs: I'm not getting active email notifications (banners etc.) from Outlook despite having them turned on. I might need to reinstall it, but the tile shows the new emails, so it's not big deal for now. Cortana is a bit slow to launch, but she hears me fine and location-based reminders are working.

Oh, and if you like it, and MS really doesn't include the 1020 in future upgrades, you can install Redstone with the hack, once you're on W10M. I haven't done that yet, because I don't need it, and I only want stable, release-quality builds.

Is W10M for "the masses" (/sarc) on the Lumia 1020? No, because most people are happy with their phone as long as it works, and they would complain about the reduced battery life in a phone that already had poor battery life on WP8.1, and is probably deteriorating rapidly as it is after 3 years. MS probably made the right decision, but as usual they don't know how to communicate it. They should have said "Hey, Lumia 1020 owners, we've provided you with the option of installing a really good and stable build of W10M for your phones, and if you want to have it, just install the Insider app. However, we've determined that it should be your choice whether or not to install it, because W10M does demand more from your battery, so we're not going to recommend it officially for everyone who is happy with the way their phone runs right now. If you're keen, why not try it out, and if you don't like it, you can always reinstall 8.1 again. If you're happy with how your phone runs now, we'd recommend you stay on 8.1" If they'd put it that way, we probably wouldn't be grumbling so much.

I agree with you. The only bugs present on my lumia 1020 are the same as everyone else on every other device.

For your email notifications, check within the outlook mail app under settings for notification settings. Apparently you have to set them on in the app and in general settings section

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
For those who have upgraded to 10586.164 and then hard reset, does the hard reset improve battery life significantly other factors remaining constant?

draco76x

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Today is the 4th days using my L1020 with Win10 on 10586.164 after hard reset.

So far so good, only 3 things that I feel that it need to improve:
1. Battery Life, need to turned off a lot of apps that run on background in order to have longer battery.
2. Touch sensitive, can't find the setting to set it like Low, Medium or High. I think the default now is High, sometime it react when my finger haven't touch the surface.
3. Animation Lags, it's not a very big issue, just sometime the animation transition like hang for less than 1 sec then respond.

Overall, Win10 on L1020 is ok, can't understand why Microsoft said it have a poor result on user experience. It's may not have the latest cpu but if iron out a few bugs & optimize it, L1020 still can on par with the latest mid range phone.

Jim Bob4

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
For my 1020 it lasts a full working day after setting glance to 15 min, turning off most background apps and setting a specific time interval for email accounts to check the inbox.

Jozef jurcisin

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Same story!
I remember when I got my Lumia 810.
First released Q4 2012 The Lumia 810 was discontinued in stores on April 2013!

thanks you MS for your: Word removed by staff!

Last edited by a moderator:

Siema_CoTam

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site

Wp10 will not be available for Lumia 1020. I just found upgrade advisor app in the store which says "Your phone is not supported for the upgrade to windows 10." Hard luck for Lumia 1020. :(

Some days ago I have been used Upgrade Adivsor and my Lumia 1020 wasn't supported. Today I checked it again. Suprisingly Lumia 1020 is supported now. Only do .107 build - .164 is for Insider Preview Release Candidante.

Someone was observed the same on his Lumia 1020?

Regards, Siema_CoTam (Hi_WhatsUp)

Post Scriptum:
Upgrade Advisor is no longer available. I tried to reinstall and I haven't this app now.

Last edited:

Podster16

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
latest or last build runs great on the 1020, but I found a clean install runs much faster/smoother I think some of the apps that carry over from 8.1 cause the battery drain issues, i'm getting 2 days out of mine.
I find the camera is not as good as running 8.1, I do miss the panorama app etc but the camera might get an update in time

Siema_CoTam

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
latest or last build runs great on the 1020, but I found a clean install runs much faster/smoother I think some of the apps that carry over from 8.1 cause the battery drain issues, i'm getting 2 days out of mine.
I find the camera is not as good as running 8.1, I do miss the panorama app etc but the camera might get an update in time

Which build (number) do you use?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss