Is WM10 ready for use on the L1020?

Peribanu

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
latest or last build runs great on the 1020, but I found a clean install runs much faster/smoother I think some of the apps that carry over from 8.1 cause the battery drain issues, i'm getting 2 days out of mine.
I find the camera is not as good as running 8.1, I do miss the panorama app etc but the camera might get an update in time
That's strange, I have Lumia Panorama running just fine on .164. I just tried it and made a nice panorama of my bedroom! Can't you download it?

Peribanu

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Today is the 4th days using my L1020 with Win10 on 10586.164 after hard reset.
So far so good, only 3 things that I feel that it need to improve:
2. Touch sensitive, can't find the setting to set it like Low, Medium or High. I think the default now is High, sometime it react when my finger haven't touch the surface.
I found the sensitivity adjustment under Settings -> Extras -> Touch -> Use touch screen with most types of gloves. Turn that off, and it won't be so sensitive (in theory).

draco76x

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I found the sensitivity adjustment under Settings -> Extras -> Touch -> Use touch screen with most types of gloves. Turn that off, and it won't be so sensitive (in theory).

My Touch setting was not in the Extras after hard resetting when I installed .164, I have installed SysApp Pusher & manage to get the Touch setting.
Now is the Glance setting, tried to install but can't as it said was not compatible and doesn't allow me to install.

Anyway, it's not a very but issue to me, so far everything works fine.
Battery life still acceptable, some apps still a battery sucker when in 4G mode, wifi can last longer.

FinnishDude

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
I have had .164 for a while in my 1020. I did not hard reset, I try to avoid that as long as possible.

I am having issue with my screen brightness. Action center brightness button is not logical. When you press it to cycle between low - normal - high brightness, brightness will chance, but not in that order. Sometimes high brightness is lower than low and so on... And even with automatic brightness, the screen is always way too bright.

When the phone is connected to charger, I still experience battery level drop and intense heating if I am surfing web with edge or doing something else normal activity. Though, I think this may be because of that brightness problem, and that might be caused by firmware instead of win 10. Anyway, I hope there is going to be improvement. Also, I think sound level 1/30 is still way too loud for minimum.

anonius

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
But how did you upgrade your 1020 to Windows 10? I see no upgrade coming on mine and 1020 is not on the list of phones which will be upgradeable? Is there a way? Actually I used 920 with 10 but it died recently and is not able to charge anymore. Is it because of 10 or because battery really died?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
But how did you upgrade your 1020 to Windows 10? I see no upgrade coming on mine and 1020 is not on the list of phones which will be upgradeable? Is there a way? Actually I used 920 with 10 but it died recently and is not able to charge anymore. Is it because of 10 or because battery really died?
Please read more in this forum about the Windows Insider program. This will allow any supported phone, including the 1020, to download Windows 10.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
If you want to use your 1020 mainy/purely for the camera and don't care much for the software: stay on 8.1
If you want to use the new UWP apps use Windows Insider to get to W10 10586
If you are constantly graving for updates, want to "live on the edge" and are used to the Windows Device Recovery Tool you can hack your registry to get Redstone updates.

mmoller

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Great to know, but for those of us who are not comfortable with making these type of changes, could you or someone offer a step by step instruction set to join the insider program and install WIN 10 /10586 - Along with instructions to uninstall and get back to WIN 8.1 if it doesn't work out? I won't be "hacking" to get Redstone, but I would like to try WIN 10.

There are a lot of people talking about installing this and that version in this forum. For us non-technical people we need a simple guide to walk us through the process, and to ease our fears about getting back to where we started if something goes wrong.

Best regards

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Great to know, but for those of us who are not comfortable with making these type of changes, could you or someone offer a step by step instruction set to join the insider program and install WIN 10 /10586 - Along with instructions to uninstall and get back to WIN 8.1 if it doesn't work out? I won't be "hacking" to get Redstone, but I would like to try WIN 10.

There are a lot of people talking about installing this and that version in this forum. For us non-technical people we need a simple guide to walk us through the process, and to ease our fears about getting back to where we started if something goes wrong.

Best regards

Here is a good start, explained quite well, read through the post and replies, it is based on a 1020
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...2-guide-how-install-w10m-insider-preview.html

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Best regards

Before upgrade, make sure your data is backed up and everything synced. Clear some memory - about 3Gb free is okay
Download windows insider app
Enroll in the app and select slow ring
It will ask you to restart.
After restart, check for updates - you should see windows 10 mobile update
Let it download and install. Do this while your phone is charging and using wifi as the update can be large
After installing, check for updates again, There might be more
After OS updates are finished, check for store updates and then app updates
Let your phone be on wifi and charging while it syncs and data and updates any app

Change settings as you like and test it out.

To go back to windows phone 8.1, you will need a computer for that. Install a program called windows device recovery tool and follow instructions in the program on how to restore your phone back to 8.1

slickjr169

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
I had an issue with 10.0.10586.107 in that my phone would not update past this and also some noticeable performance issues, so today I bit the bullet and went down to 8.1. Re-installed the insider app and selected fast ring, but my phone will not pull down the update. Changed to slow ring and same thing. The worst thing is that my backups are for windows phone 10. I did this procedure before back in October and didn't have any issues. Any clues out there on what I'm missing?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster