1020 / 2016

Skittle Milk

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Time to show your love, people! Who will be carrying the beloved, though legacy, Lumia 1020 as their daily driver well into and maybe through 2016 and why? If you have absolutely no plans to switch to a phone in the 950 series, why not?

VladIV

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I've been carrying this old fighter since it's launch and I will go further, until Microsoft releases the next megapixel monster with xenon flash. But if they won't do it soon, I'll most likely switch to a iPhone 7 at the end of next year. Unless of course, windows 10 mobile will suffer a colossal increase is app number.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
See ya later. There will never be another 1020 device. Thank god that w10m runs great on the 1020. Enjoy it. I am keeping our two 1020s but we are moving to the 950/xl next year.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The 1020 is a fine device.
I'll keep mine for a bit longer just to have fun with it in the wild.

I find myself using a small format Lumix camera for photography in most situations lately.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I enjoy using my 1020 around the house, the camera is way to slow to take photos of my kids, I use my Nexus or iPhone 6 for that..

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
The 1020 has always had two limitations for me:1) unexpandable >32GB storage (I have twice as much music, to start with, and my great lens takes huge pics and videos); and 2) an unreplaceable battery, which I had never "accepted" since my Treo 270. I will keep my 1020 for stills and videos, but I am waiting for the 950 to show and will likely be toting that in 2016. It's a compromise, like every other purchase, because I'd much rather have a smaller, more pocketable device. I always felt that the 1020 was as big a phone as I ever wanted to have; but, I didn't expect flagship offerings to be so limited in this regard.

L?stima, dommage, too bad; but, I am looking forward to the 950. At least it will be a little narrower, thinner, and lighter. If they came out with a 950S, I'd jump to that. :wink:

Zomby Jeezus

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I thought I could sit it out and wait for surface phone to come out, but I don't think I can. My 1020 is not taking the insider wm10 well at all. The camera app fails me constantly. Batter drains at nearly twice the rate. Random reboots. Start screen goes dark with the " resuming" issue at least once a day for thirty minutes or longer. I cannot update apps. The groove music app is atrocious. When the camera does work, it takes twice as long to snap a photo and sometimes they disappear in the photos collection. I want to wait for the 950 xl... But wm10 so far has greatly disappointed/angered me. No idea what I am going to do, but this phone is driving me crazy now

nedarata

May 5, 2015
Visit site
i will stay with 1020 until it breaks
it is really funny how some people change phones just like socks
also won't "upgrade" to w10

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am defenantly upgrading to w10. its a good step forward. Yep. Love new gadgets....My issue is I keep all my old stuff too. I still have my blackberry 8130 pearl. ha ha.

Mike Newport

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Definitely keeping mine through 2016 because just a year ago I paid 300$ for my 1020, and I'm old fashioned , so 300$ translated to at least 3 years. Not sure why everyone is having issues, the new mobile build 10581 is performing better than 8.1 ever did, plus photos and videos still crush any other competition...

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Exactly Mike. The phone is still holding up to the latest stuff. do the qi case mod and you have a phone with all the features of the new stuff but with a superior camera!

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I can't afford to upgrade at the moment. Also any other camera (phone) seems like a downgrade, although I have felt the photo quality of my phone is slipping lately and its slowness in capturing images is frustrating. But financially I have to stick with it.
Not sure about W10, I am happy with 8 and not convinced of the benefits of 10, plus I worry about it causing problems with my phone.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I can't afford to upgrade at the moment. Also any other camera (phone) seems like a downgrade, although I have felt the photo quality of my phone is slipping lately and its slowness in capturing images is frustrating. But financially I have to stick with it.
Not sure about W10, I am happy with 8 and not convinced of the benefits of 10, plus I worry about it causing problems with my phone.

So you are sticking with the L1020?

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Me ! I'm sticking around with the 1020 for awhile more ! Nothing can beat the monster of a camera (helps especially when you are sitting 4 rows from the whiteboard in class ;P ). Also sticking around for the design ! The new 950/950XL looks quite plain compared to the bold design of the 1020 ! I considered the 950/950XL before, but didn't get it because 1. the design are quite plain compared to my 1020, and 2. although liquid cooling has been used for the 950XL, I still don't really trust the 810. Only thing that really tempted me was the battery size of the XL. Hope that next year we can see some neat devices !

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I looked at what the new phones offer for the price and compared to the 1020 with its unique lossless zoom and still awesome picture quality I just cant bring myself to buy one now. Obviously they are bigger, higher res, faster but I did all that with a 1520 and didn't miss any of it that much on moving back to the 1020, and with no other compelling reason I think my 1020 will still be around in 2016 still running WP 8.1.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The picture quality, size of the phone and uniqueness of it is why I am keeping mine. Eventhough we are getting a 950 and xl for my wife and I, We LOVE our 1020s.

Ma1dere

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I'll stay with my 1020 for a few months at very least, mostly because of the image quality. Then I'll most likely switch to mid-range Android phone + high end point-and-shoot camera.
After all, it will be realy hard for me to justify buying another Windows handset, especially considering unimpressive hardware MS makes nowdays.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Got my 950 on Friday, transferring my 1020 SIM service to it at the MSFT store. Loving every aspect of this most-impressive device, but my 1020 still is charged every night and is with me ready to shoot on demand. A big advantage is that my monster 41mp light capturer no longer has to share the meager 32GBs of storage memory with a treasured load of music files. On the other hand, my 950 is now saving wonderful stills and videos mostly to my 128GB card! (I also purchased an even higher-speed 64GB card that will probably specialize in shooting and saving 4K files.)

These are most interesting times for photography.

Best device management to all. :smile:

P.S.: My 1020 is staying happily at 8.1 unless I learn of a compelling reason to upgrade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb