A review of the 2013 Lumia 1020, in end-2015

ramiusm

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I've never owned an Android device before, although I have heard of the lagging issue that plagues the operating system. Is it really that bad?

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I know on my note 1 it is horrible. and most I have used yes. I am buying a asus phone and watch to play with to see how it works on that.

ramiusm

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Right. I'm thinking of switching to Android after what will probably be my last Windows device, the 1020. Unless Microsoft really does something special with W10M.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I've never owned an Android device before, although I have heard of the lagging issue that plagues the operating system. Is it really that bad?

Completely untrue.
I have 2 Android phones in addition to my 1020.
In my case two platforms compliment each other.
My opinion boils down to this there's no reason to trash one platform over another.
Windows has major benefits along with Android.

The Windows phone store simply doesn't include many apps that users may depend on.
Because of this I have been forced to use Android in addition to Windows mobile.
As it stands today it's just a fact of mobile life for the Windows user.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Completely untrue.
I have 2 Android phones in addition to my 1020.
In my case two platforms compliment each other.
My opinion boils down to this there's no reason to trash one platform over another.
Windows has major benefits along with Android.

The Windows phone store simply doesn't include many apps that users may depend on.
Because of this I have been forced to use Android in addition to Windows mobile.
As it stands today it's just a fact of mobile life for the Windows user.
I agree, and this is the same situation for me.

triturbo

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
I agree, the 1020 is my main phone now, but I'll still use my aging iP4 for everything that's missing, which for me at least, is not that much. Have to say it - iMovie is still better than Movie Creator Beta. If Microsoft decides to add simple fade or stripes transitions, that would be great!

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am on the other side to android coin. Every android phone I have ever owned or used, when scrolling etc has been jumpy, laggy, and constant app closures etcs. after about a month or so, the entire system starts slowing down and you have to re install everything fresh to get it back to somewhat good. I have never had this issue with WP. Other than loading early versions of 10, and having to revert back to 8.1. I am using my note now with 4.4.4 and its friggin horrible. I am ready to just toss it out a window. Android is a wreck. constant app closures, auto reboots etc. Pure crap.

I was excited first to get all the apps that are not on wp. half of them are unuseable as they keep crashing etc. Not worth spending any money on an android phone for me. I am somewhat glad that MS did away with the android porting in favor of IOS development. Yeah, it will put app development back on the timeline a bit, but will be worth it in the end.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I am on the other side to android coin. Every android phone I have ever owned or used, when scrolling etc has been jumpy, laggy, and constant app closures etcs. after about a month or so, the entire system starts slowing down and you have to re install everything fresh to get it back to somewhat good. I have never had this issue with WP. Other than loading early versions of 10, and having to revert back to 8.1. I am using my note now with 4.4.4 and its friggin horrible. I am ready to just toss it out a window. Android is a wreck. constant app closures, auto reboots etc. Pure crap.

I was excited first to get all the apps that are not on wp. half of them are unuseable as they keep crashing etc. Not worth spending any money on an android phone for me. I am somewhat glad that MS did away with the android porting in favor of IOS development. Yeah, it will put app development back on the timeline a bit, but will be worth it in the end.

Sad to see that your Android experience has been less than enjoyable.

My devices on current Android versions have been stable with little to no bugs.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I was close to spending my 950xl money on a new zenfone 2 and zenwatch 2. But I am glad I never. I would be regretting that in short order. WP is the best setup out there at the moment. Hopfully this year we gain some traction with w10 and new apps..

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I have a 1020 with w10m. I must say it works well. I've installed every preview bar 1. The only issues I have is the resuming screen SOMETIMES. no real bugs or lags as such. My only other peeve is battery life. And I put that down to 2 things:
1. I'm always using WiFi.
2. I think from the get go I didn't "train" my battery.
My 1020 was brand new.
However, it had plenty of hardware issues. (2nd Mic not working, no audio in video, can't hear Cortana, Cortana can't hear me, port charges but doesn't connect to PC, screen has gone completely black).
As I'm in the Caribbean, I can forget about warranty. Device was bought March 2015. Which has me hesitant about purchasing the 950.
I'm going to repair the issues eventually as I really liked my 1020....and had no issues with w10m

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
That's amazing battery life, Steve. It may be also due to different operating frequencies - I'm in Singapore, and we use GSM here - so far my experience here is that even other makes, like the iPhone and Galaxy models, suffer from terrible battery life - my old Lumia 920 and BlackBerry Q10 also exhibited this 'characteristic', as does a friend's brand new Samsung Galaxy A5. Probably something to do with network congestion here in Singapore that causes the battery to drain faster. Most folks I know don't get more than 6 hours of battery life, regardless of which phone they're using, unless it's a Passport or phablet-class device.

Hi Ramiusm,

Good to see a fellow country man in this forum. I am on M1 and I get a full day (20 to 22 hours) on my Lumia 1020.

ramiusm

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi Ajayden. Good to see someone in the Lion City who hasn't succumbed to social pressure and switch to iOS or Android! How do you get that kind of battery life, man? I'm also on M1. Currently back on Windows 10 (.63) on the 1020.

anon(8911628)

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 1020 still worth it?

Hi,

What do you think guys, is lumia 1020 good deal right now? I use Lumia 920 and Lumia 1520. The first one is really old and has broken glass... the second - it's great but sometimes large screen makes me angry... I am looking for windows phone (mobile 10) device with great camera, so... what do you think?

Moreover, I see there are a lot of stores that sell this phone in Internet. Could you recommend me the best one with good price? Thanks.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia 1020 still worth it?

Anything can be a good deal if the price is right. That depends on you probably.

I wouldn't get the phone because the camera isn't worth everything else for me, but others might beg to differ.

There's a thread about using the 1020 late last year, I'd check that out.

anon(8911628)

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site

I can buy this phone for 230EUR but it is from second hand. I will read some similar topics. Hope, I will find more details :) .

Sorry for my bad english :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I didn't notice anything wrong with your English actually.

I wouldn't buy it at that price, I would sooner get a Lumia 930 - all the 1020 really has over it is the high megapixel count, but I'd get the 930 which is superior is most every other regard and probably costs around that price. Now if the 1020 was around $100-150 USD I'd think its more worth it.

triturbo

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site

Depends on how much you want it. I paid 255EUR for mine - 64GB, yellow, unlocked with brand new camera grip (I've removed the safety seals). For me it's worth it for two big reasons (and many runner-ups). First - the camera, no need for further explanation, this is the main reason why I got it. Second - the OS, this is the reason why I'll stay and most likely my next phone would be another WM. With recent go-huge phones, WM deals pretty nice with the large real-estate and it still is pretty one-hand friendly OS. While for me the 1020 is on the bigish side, seeing that most new "phones" (the top-tier ones) are way above 5", I couldn't be happier that the 1020 is sub-5". The last WM I've used was an HTC TyTN II with 6.5. WM has come A LONG way since then! As of now (8.1), I LOVE IT! Again, from what I've tried, it's the only OS that can be comfortably used with one hand up to 4.5".

anon(8911628)

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site

Depends on how much you want it. I paid 255EUR for mine - 64GB, yellow, unlocked with brand new camera grip (I've removed the safety seals).

Would you like to tell something more about store/seller that you used? :) It sounds good. I found 64GB and yellow version too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb