HOW to prevent the phone nokia 1020 from automatically switching on?

M_arko

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
HOW to prevent the phone nokia 1020 from automatically switching on?

this NOKIA 1020 is the crappiest phone I ever had!!!

the most annoying "feature" of the Nokia Lumia 1020 is that it impossible to switch the phone OFF when you don't need it.

This moronic phone decides on its own when to switch ON - as soon as the battery is charged just enough to start it, it tries to start, drains the battery and 5 minutes later tries again to start and keeps repeating this vicious circle to no end.

When you connect to a charger strong enough, it will charge BUT you SIMPLE CAN'T SWITCH IT OFF when you don't need it - this idiotic phone keeps restarting until the battery is drained!!!

There is no way that you can charge the phone and keep it switched off until you need it!

Is this some hopeless moron's idea of a "feature" or is there a way to keep a charged NOKIA Lumia1020 switched off when you don't need it?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Central.

We understand your sentiments, but feeling that way will not contribute to the situation. So far, that "feature" is not limited to the Lumia 1020 - all (if not most) Lumia phones automatically turn on when plugged into a charger.

Could it be that the charging port of your Lumia 1020 is dirty, preventing it from charging properly? Or the battery could already be damaged?

Connect your phone to that "strong enough" charger and let it charge for around 30 minutes - leave it untouched, don't try to turn it off or anything and just let it charge.

You may calmly create a Windows Central account to Reply in this thread.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone devices will always power on when plugged into a charger. It has to do with OS oversight of battery management... Whatever.

If you want to charge the phone and then turn it off, does it not power down?

Are you sure you don't have a damaged boot sector and the phone is stuck in a boot loop?

Sounds like some more issues going on then just trying to turn the phone off. I may be wrong, but some more details will allow us to help you better.

If you need to add additional information or want to post additional questions, please join the site so you can see the reply button and continue the conversation in the same thread you originally made. Please see this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

M_arko

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
to cut a long story short. (a story about how to make a crap phone out of the best hardware)

when the phone is charged (and obviously ON because it turned itself ON without asking if you want it or not) you can turn if OFF - there is even a button for that!

BUT the small problem is that the moment it's switched OFF it restarts again and if you switch if OFF again it will simply restart again - there is simply no way to keep the phone charged and switched OFF

Or am I missing something?

The idea to design a phone that will switch itself ON without asking is already bad enough, but to make it impossible to switch it OFF would be positively ludicrous!

Is it something wrong with my phone or was someone really so idiotic to design on purpose a phone that will not switch off until the battery is drained?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
to cut a long story short. (a story about how to make a crap phone out of the best hardware)

when the phone is charged (and obviously ON because it turned itself ON without asking if you want it or not) you can turn if OFF - there is even a button for that!

BUT the small problem is that the moment it's switched OFF it restarts again and if you switch if OFF again it will simply restart again - there is simply no way to keep the phone charged and switched OFF

Or am I missing something?

The idea to design a phone that will switch itself ON without asking is already bad enough, but to make it impossible to switch it OFF would be positively ludicrous!

Is it something wrong with my phone or was someone really so idiotic to design on purpose a phone that will not switch off until the battery is drained?

Yes, you're right with your underlined statement, which is the same with my reply and the reply of RumoredNow.

What is the objective here? Are you trying to get your phone charged and working or are we in for a discussion behind the philosophy of the technological design specific to that device? If the objective is just to charge the device, have you tried leaving it plugged and untouched (don't turn it off) for at least 30 minutes to see if it will sustain itself charging? But if the objective is the philosophical discussion, we won't go anywhere since the engineers who implemented them are not here - we're not Microsoft.

triturbo

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
I guess something has messed up with yours. Charged (78% currently), turned it off, stays off, pressing the power button turns it on. Maybe you could try to reset it. Good luck!

M_arko

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
there are two separate problems, both linked to this SBB (Stupid Beyond Belief) idea to make a phone for people to lazy too switch the phone ON themselves:

when you try to charge it, because it switches ON itself as soon as possible (completely unnecessary, zillions of phones are perfectly capable of being charged while OFF) you have to connect to a source producing more than the 500mA that are the USB standard, you need a special USB charger than can give 1 A or preferably 2A, otherwise the charging current is wasted on keeping the phone alive instead of charging the battery of the phone! But then by researching the subject I found another priceless gem: if you use a charging current that is too strong, the battery life gets shortened! You simply can't win! Either it charges forever or never, or you damage the battery!

But the best practical joke on the unsuspecting buyer/user is that every time I switch the phone off, it restarts immediately!

So from what is said here there is REALLY no way to fully charge the phone and keep it switched off until you get to spot in the middle of nowhere where you want to take pictures?

Is anyone told me that some genius would even think of designing a phone like that, I wouldn't have believed it!!!

How would you like if someone sold you a laptop that you keeps switching on until the battery is drained? Or a car where the engine starts as soon as there are few drops in the tank and keeps running until the tank is empty?

Thanks for confirming that there is nothing particularly wrong with my phone (that was my objective), that it's the designer of the phone that is in need of a serious head-check!

If I knew that this phone was designed by such morons, I wouldn't have spent a single penny on it. Total waste of money.

The only potential saving grace of this phone is the camera, but apart the high resolution of the picture, all the rest is unimpressive - it's just a high resolution idiotmatic. If you take static pictures in intense daylight, yes you get really good pictures (if you mange to avoid strong contrasts) - but any disposable idiotmatic loaded with a fine grained film can do that (and probably better, and cheaper). You don't even have the possibility to change the contrast setting, high resolution apart it doesn't compare with any advanced amateur camera!

I know now to stay clear of ANY Lumia phone, and in the future before buying any phone to check for something so basic as to whether the contraption can or can not be turned off when the user wants it!

M_arko

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I guess something has messed up with yours. Charged (78% currently), turned it off, stays off, pressing the power button turns it on. Maybe you could try to reset it. Good luck!

Thanks for your post!
So it should be possible to turn it off!
The phone updated itself from Win 8 to Win 8.1, apart from that I didn't try to change anything, I can't see why it refuses to stay OFF.
I'll try a reset!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3