Why isn't my Nokia Lumia 1020 connecting to my computer?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Nokia Lumia 1020 isn't connecting to my computer

So I've just finished my contract while having a Nokia Lumia 1020, and can no longer use it due to having a new phone on my contract. I have hundreds of photos on my old phone, and I want to transfer them all over onto my computer. I have plugged the phone into the computer, using a general charger, and also the official Nokia charger, and all that happens is that my phone charges: the computer doesn't recognise that the phone is plugged in.
I don't know what the problem is as the computer and the phone have connected before but for some reason they're not connecting now.
This is really annoying because I have over two years of memories on my phone, that I need to have access to in the future, and would like to be able to transfer across and not have stuck on a phone. I am unable to email the images to myself as the sim in the phone has been deactivated, so therefore I cannot upload them to the onedrive/cloud storage. I have hundreds, maybe even over 1000 photos and videos that I need transferred.
I would like help with how to connect my phone to my computer, but if not then a quick and easy way to transfer hundreds of photos and videos (a lot of gig/memory) to my computer.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nokia Lumia 1020 isn't connecting to my computer

What OS are you using on your PC? You'll need to update the USB/phone drivers for the PC to recognize the phone's internal storage.

Try turning the phone completely off and plug it into the PC with the Nokia USB cable. When you plug it in, it should come on and automagically install the drivers.

If not, I'd go into Device Manager and update the USB drivers there.

Also, even though the phone is deactivated, the WiFi connection should still work just fine. Just connect the 1020 to your home WiFi and upload all your photos to OneDrive. (Yes, I know transferring them over a cable to your PC is the ideal, faster method)

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nokia Lumia 1020 isn't connecting to my computer

I am unable to email the images to myself as the sim in the phone has been deactivated, so therefore I cannot upload them to the onedrive/cloud storage.
Don't you have any WIFI to use? It works independently of the mobile data connection.

If you do, use Easy Transfer to transfer the pictures directly to your computer.
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...2Feasy-transfer%2F9wzdncrfhzq8&token=aj809Gn8

I'm surprised that no one suggests transfer to a computer via WIFI.

Also, make sure that the USB connector isn't filled with pocket lint. Turn the phone off and clean with a needle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs