Who of us still with 1020 as the only and main phone?

truefluke

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Lumia 640 expressly for the purpose of having a modern WM10 experience. My 1020 will remain on 8.1 and forever in the camera grip as a dedicated 41MP kick your butt point-and-shoot camera. :)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello, long term WP user here. Right now using 830(dying) and BLU HD(very slow on w10 and not the best camera around), is it unwise to pickup a 1020? I understand battery life is not the greatest and it take about 2-3 sec for a pic, in general is it very slow?

The 1020 does take 4seconds between photos and though it has arguably the best camera module on a phone, it doesn't have the latest features inbuilt like living images or hdr or 4k recording. If you're looking for a camera mainly for fast moving shots such as people partying or such, the 1020 isn't the best. But for all other types such as landscape photos, ordinary daylight photos, macros etc, it's just great. battery life can be optimised and is slightly better if you don't use windows 10 mobile

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
The cheap plastic on the 950 will eventually break where you have that lanyard. Plus, the back comes off VERY easily, so I can almost promise you'll run into a situation where you'll be holding the lanyard and phone back while your cheaply designed & made main section is in pieces on the ground. I hate my 950. Meanwhile, my 1020 rocks.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The cheap plastic on the 950 will eventually break where you have that lanyard. Plus, the back comes off VERY easily, so I can almost promise you'll run into a situation where you'll be holding the lanyard and phone back while your cheaply designed & made main section is in pieces on the ground. I hate my 950. Meanwhile, my 1020 rocks.

the 950 has a slot for inserting a lanyard? I didn't know that; great feature to have like the 1020

cliac

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Lumia 640 expressly for the purpose of having a modern WM10 experience. My 1020 will remain on 8.1 and forever in the camera grip as a dedicated 41MP kick your butt point-and-shoot camera. :)
I understood your point. I won't trade my 1020 as it is classic and I want to keep it. But holding a phone and "a dedicated 41MP kick your butt point-and-shoot camera" won't work for me. I have not carried a point-and-shoot camera separately since W6.5M age, and don't think I will go back.

It's certainly a big concern. Be careful when holding the back cover only.

the 950 has a slot for inserting a lanyard? I didn't know that; great feature to have like the 1020
A DIY solution.

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I understood your point. I won't trade my 1020 as it is classic and I want to keep it. But holding a phone and "a dedicated 41MP kick your butt point-and-shoot camera" won't work for me. If I have not carried a point-and-shoot camera separately since W6.5M age, and don't think I will go back.

It's certainly a big concern. Be careful when holding the back cover only.

A DIY solution.

Oh, not an inbuilt one :asleep:

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I retired my 1020 as a daily driver back in the fall sometime. I rock a 830 as my main W10M device. I reverted to 8.1 on it and with the camera grip, use it as a point and shoot for stills with great results.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I retired my 1020 as a daily driver back in the fall sometime. I rock a 830 as my main W10M device. I reverted to 8.1 on it and with the camera grip, use it as a point and shoot for stills with great results.

a few tips for long photos sessions - keep the 1020 on flight mode and all radios off. This will extend battery life considerably so you could take at most 250 photos on a single charge without the grip. With the grip, add another 100

cliac

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Just got a pair of 950/950xl (bought during BOGO promo) returned. Will stay with my 1020 for at least a few more months and see what happens.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
a few tips for long photos sessions - keep the 1020 on flight mode and all radios off. This will extend battery life considerably so you could take at most 250 photos on a single charge without the grip. With the grip, add another 100

Yeah. Great tip. I do miss this phone as a DD. Great piece of gadget history.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Curious, what about those phones did you not like compared to the 1020? Just asking..

some have found fault with the current way the MS camera app handles the processing - it seems it boosts too much or adjusts too high such that the image doesn't look natural anymore

cliac

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Curious, what about those phones did you not like compared to the 1020? Just asking..
It's not much about 950/950XL themselves but an overall situation. A few points in my thoughts:

1) On 1020 side, it is still performing well, and W10M on it is getting batter. Battery life has improved to about 14 hrs per charge with the latest .338 release. I still feel quite comfortable to use it. Still love the camera.

2) For 950/950XL, the BOGO promo is nice but I don't need 2 phones, and I am lazy for selling one on eBay or somewhere else. Sadly none of my friends is willing to buy from me. With a $600~700 budget, I maybe able to get a better product if one becomes available in a few months or before my 1020 dies, instead of holding 2 950s and let my still functioning 1020 sit ideal aside.

Last edited:

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Well the HTC 10 has been unveiled today and this might just be my departure from my long commitment with Nokia/Microsoft.

I'll wait for the hands on tests on the new UltraPixel 2, but very happy to see the Hi-Res Audio mics!!!
Although I'd love a xenon flash, I'll be willing to move to LED (again, will see the reviews first).
Also the aperture is f/1.8, better than the Lumia 950 in allowing more light in. (although the Samsung Galaxy S7 is f/1.7).

Obviously not a huge leap in technology, but so far so good!

EDIT: HTC 10 have reached top 1 spot in DX camera Rating:
HTC 10 camera overview: A great all-rounder for stills and video - DxOMark

I have the HTC 10, and I am sending it back on Monday.

- The camera is nowhere near to the Microsoft devices (at least not to 950XL)
- The Hi-res recording is good but having more mics (like we do in 950xl (just an example) 1020 has "only three"
- No manual control over videos during recording (big issue I guess)

and these are only for starters... if you need more info, just ask ... I just got back to my 950 XL

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
I have the HTC 10, and I am sending it back on Monday.

- The camera is nowhere near to the Microsoft devices (at least not to 950XL)
- The Hi-res recording is good but having more mics (like we do in 950xl (just an example) 1020 has "only three"
- No manual control over videos during recording (big issue I guess)

and these are only for starters... if you need more info, just ask ... I just got back to my 950 XL

It's such a shame that the 1020 only records in mono once it is updated to WM10, other than that, everything works perfectly, I don't understand with MS can't fix this one issue

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
It's such a shame that the 1020 only records in mono once it is updated to WM10, other than that, everything works perfectly, I don't understand with MS can't fix this one issue
Surely MS could fix it, but they simply won't. The Lumia 1020 is not a supported phone for the W10 update, so why should they put time, money and effort in this?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Surely MS could fix it, but they simply won't. The Lumia 1020 is not a supported phone for the W10 update, so why should they put time, money and effort in this?

What I said though we wish they could look into it. It might be just a simple one line piece of code that says:accept audio from multiple mics yes or no

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3