Who of us still with 1020 as the only and main phone?

Johnson Rajan

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 1020 had been my daily driver since the last 3 years. Had tried W10 many a time but had to revert back because it was very buggy. It came to a point that I was going to buy a new phone. And as a last attempt installed 10.0.14393.576 thro' registry hack. The best windows 10 build on this phone. Really good battery life. Used 10 hrs light use, few calls and still had 83% left this evening. Camera is ok. No glance but got it setup in my previous build and it works as I need. Very fluid, never seen any resuming bug that annoyed me before. Task switching is really fast, no delay. Camera and photos are ok. If this keeps up will continue using it. Did anyone have similar experience???

SammUL

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 1020 had been my daily driver since the last 3 years. Had tried W10 many a time but had to revert back because it was very buggy. It came to a point that I was going to buy a new phone. And as a last attempt installed 10.0.14393.576 thro' registry hack. The best windows 10 build on this phone. Really good battery life. Used 10 hrs light use, few calls and still had 83% left this evening. Camera is ok. No glance but got it setup in my previous build and it works as I need. Very fluid, never seen any resuming bug that annoyed me before. Task switching is really fast, no delay. Camera and photos are ok. If this keeps up will continue using it. Did anyone have similar experience???

I wish to try it myself but no glance is a dealbreaker for me... if you could get it and post an updated guide to registry hack process that'd be great :)

Johnson Rajan

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I had gone back to W8.1. Then rooted phone and changed Phone info via regedit loading hive. This updated my phone to 10586.3xx not sure. At this stage I sideloaded Glance. It didn't install as the instructions were given. Never showed up in extras. But an app popped up with some different name. It let me to set up glance the way I wanted it. The build was a bit slow and was not very smooth. Had to change the Phone info again as had done a hard rest. This brought me the the latest build. Surprisingly glance settings didn't change after update. Tried to sideload glance, it installed exactly as the last time, but when I opened, it just showed settings on top and nothing else so it was broken.
Haven't managed to install Here Drive which I miss.

SammUL

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Don't fight against Microsoft??

I think he's trying to say that one should avoid upgrading to OS builds which are beyond what the OS (microsoft) meant them to be upgraded to
Which is also what keeps me away from doing the hack thing.. I'm afraid at one point it could just stop working without notice, considering its an old architecture and officially unsupported device that has to pretend to be a different device to keep latest version of the OS :(

If there was no risk and the process was more simple (+had glance) then I would go for it :)

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
It is fine to stay in 8.1 for many, if it works for them or if attempting the upward move is too complicated.

For those of us either needing/wanting some of the goodies in W10 like me, or simply being adventurous (yeah, kind of me too :), there is the safety net that one can always return to 8.1. But, sure, the risk is always there. Thus, the folks to which line #1 applies may be the wisest and should not feel defensive. (Darn, I cannot brag of being all that smart, to be honest.)

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I think he's trying to say that one should avoid upgrading to OS builds which are beyond what the OS (microsoft) meant them to be upgraded to
Which is also what keeps me away from doing the hack thing.. I'm afraid at one point it could just stop working without notice, considering its an old architecture and officially unsupported device that has to pretend to be a different device to keep latest version of the OS :(

If there was no risk and the process was more simple (+had glance) then I would go for it :)

I totally understand your point of view but there's not really any risk involved. You can always flash your original 8.1 ROM if something goes bad down the line.

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
When I said Don't fight against Microsoft?? I meant the decision was already made by Microsoft not developing the necessary drivers firmware laying to make 1020 compatible.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
When I said Don't fight against Microsoft?? I meant the decision was already made by Microsoft not developing the necessary drivers firmware laying to make 1020 compatible.

But it is compatible. We had this discussion over and over. There are other reasons to not support the 1020 and many other x20 phones for MS. Mainly because of costs (it's cheaper to officially support fewer phones) and of appearance (if W10M only runs on fast phones people will assume it's a fast OS. if they see it on slow phones they could assume it's a slow OS).
The 1020 runs W10M perfectly fine. Sometimes it's even better than on 8.1.

SammUL

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Can someone post an updated guide to hack the 1020 to latest W10M for those already on Threshold build? With Glance hack? For Christmas plz? :D

SammUL

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks milkywayz! I read it again and for those already on 10M, there's much less 'hacking' required, and I now have redstone :)

however, unfortunately I can't manage to enable glance screen even after following the guides :(

Update: I got glance now tee hee ^_^

Last edited:

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
...however, unfortunately I can't manage to enable glance screen even after following the guides :(

I myself left the reinstalling of Glance for later. That said, THIS* tool may be helpful if you are already in W10. It is "pre-release", but it may be a good resource to have for all those who are already in Win10 (and have a flair for "tweaking" :)). It gives quite a few easy extra options...and the registry edit works like charm in my L1020. (The PC interface usually works fine but, for short text tweaks, the phone entry itself can be used.)

*ref link: at XDA: Interop Tools - A versatile registry app for all devices, doesn't require cap unlock

Johnson Rajan

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I too thought the same and I bricked my 1020. The battery went so low that it was not being detected by pc for flash. And nothing would show on the screen. I thought I lost my phone. But left it to charge for a day and got it flashed. Ohhh I nearly lost my phone. But back to W10.

Marlon Bu

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I still use my now over three years old Lumia 1020. The reason: I see no other phone on the market with a really better Camera than the 41 Megapixel Zeiss Cam.

hydemus

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
i'm still using 1020 because it's unique camera (xenon flash and sensor size)... and 1020 still can handle my daily activity as well.. so i think there's no need to change to other smartphone...

Johnson Rajan

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I am now on 14393.1066 and its working fine. Side loaded stock Nokia Camera app 4.8 and works fine. Unable to use here drive won't launch but Maps has got better (may be getting used to it now). Battery is decent to run for a day. Edge is very fast. Skype won't work for me, but anyway its going to stop working on Win8.1. Had tried creator update but had load so bugs so reverted back. I guess this is the build for me for good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism