Who of us still with 1020 as the only and main phone?

diego866

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Good, I wanted to know who of us still with 1020 as the main and only phone, although has not been exceeded as camera and He hits the market in 2013 but continues to give much play.
a greeting

Last edited:

Graphic_Delusions

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Yup, still using my one and only (1020) phone since launch 2.5 years ago, but refuse to install Windows 10 on it.

I've had all the greatest camera phones out there (Nokia N93, N82, N8, 808, Lumia 1020) and sadly now hit a brick wall.

Never in my life that I had to wait so long for an upgrade, but there is simply no phone that can compete with the camera.

I remember I was reluctant at first to upgrade from the 808 to the 1020, but I really wanted a faster and modern OS & better apps. The upgrade meant compromising the sensor and it's qualities on the 808 (which even to this day had the best white balance) for better algorithms and modern OS/apps on the 1020.

Now 2.5 years later since owning the 1020 - the only option right now is the Lumia 950/950XL, but that would mean compromising yet again on the camera module / sensor size & Pureview zoom qualities for faster OS and improved algorithms (due to better processors).

Dedicated camera phones have unfortunately declined since Nokia was bought out by Microsoft. Other companies, such as Samsung, are / have already caught / catching up on the imaging technologies that was once dominated by Nokia.

I'm still holding on to my 1020. I hope the imaging guys at Microsoft are cooking up something great to reveal otherwise I have no choice but to look at other leading companies.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a 1020.

I don't need more pixels or a bigger sensor. Give me a fast and reliable autofocus that just works, together with a fast camera. The 808 did at least have the latter, can't remember how the AF performed.

I tried a 950, admittedly with 10586.0, but the looping focus was just so annoying. I think it's fixed by now tho.

If the 950 had a finger scanner I'd get it, I still have my doubts about the eye scanner.

Graphic_Delusions

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Well the HTC 10 has been unveiled today and this might just be my departure from my long commitment with Nokia/Microsoft.

HTC 10 Rear Camera:
12MP (HTC UltraPixel 2) (1.55um per pixel)
Camera launches in 0.6 seconds
laser autofocus
Optical Image Stabilization (OIS)
f/1.8 aperture
Pro mode
RAW Format support
Auto-HDR
Zoe Capture
hyperlapse
12X Slow motion mode
4K video recording with Hi-Res Audio

I'll wait for the hands on tests on the new UltraPixel 2, but very happy to see the Hi-Res Audio mics!!!
Although I'd love a xenon flash, I'll be willing to move to LED (again, will see the reviews first).
Also the aperture is f/1.8, better than the Lumia 950 in allowing more light in. (although the Samsung Galaxy S7 is f/1.7).

Obviously not a huge leap in technology, but so far so good!

EDIT: HTC 10 have reached top 1 spot in DX camera Rating:
http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/HTC-10-camera-overview-A-great-all-rounder-for-stills-and-video

Last edited:

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I know it's not the device in question but thought I should chip in. I'm still using my L920 as my one and only phone. Running Build 10586.164
No plan of changing at least to next year hoping Surface Phone comes. Current devices in stock now not worthy the upgrade from L920 (930 amd 950 are too pricey for me.)

tohoshinki

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
The camera on this phone is an interesting beast. It's slow to save, slow to open, struggles with focus, and 99% of the time it will output weird colors.... But when you finally figure out how to really work the camera, you realize how powerful it is. Even today there is nothing like it available in the mobile space.

As a professional photographer, the ability to shoot with bracketing, and save high-res RAW images and color correct/lens correct them in Adobe Bridge/Photoshop with Nokia's Camera Profiles is a huge deal. The Xenon flash is still lightyears better than any LED set-up. I shoot incredible photos in clubs, everyone is lit and everything looks great. Which isn't something I can say for other devices. I discovered by accident that the 1020 will sync with professional studio lights via the optical slave. Traditional lens filters work here also. I've done some really cool cross-exposure photography with the 1020. The Camera grip brings in tripod support (and extra power!) and wrist strap give you the freedom to shoot in much riskier ways than you would with your typical, slippery and fragile iPhone.... W10 brought support for Wireless Triggers which I've also found invaluable... You simply will not find all of this in another device.

I just wish it was a little faster... W10 chews through the battery, but it's not so bad with a power pack. I can imagine a device like this would fly with an 808 or 810... With big files like these, those extra cores really count! I'm sad Microsoft won't be bringing redstone to the 1020, in my experience it's been a really solid, capable device.

Interestingly, it also has the best cellular antenna of any device I've ever owned. I imported the AT&T Variant and I get incredible coverage, where my network issued smartphones struggle to pick up 3G....

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It's interesting to see quite a few other manufacturers now seeing the camera as a point they can differentiate on.
MS failing to adequately replace the 1020 is costing it yet more market share.
It's like they want to fail.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The camera on this phone is an interesting beast. It's slow to save, slow to open, struggles with focus, and 99% of the time it will output weird colors.... But when you finally figure out how to really work the camera, you realize how powerful it is. Even today there is nothing like it available in the mobile space.

As a professional photographer, the ability to shoot with bracketing, and save high-res RAW images and color correct/lens correct them in Adobe Bridge/Photoshop with Nokia's Camera Profiles is a huge deal. The Xenon flash is still lightyears better than any LED set-up. I shoot incredible photos in clubs, everyone is lit and everything looks great. Which isn't something I can say for other devices. I discovered by accident that the 1020 will sync with professional studio lights via the optical slave. Traditional lens filters work here also. I've done some really cool cross-exposure photography with the 1020. The Camera grip brings in tripod support (and extra power!) and wrist strap give you the freedom to shoot in much riskier ways than you would with your typical, slippery and fragile iPhone.... W10 brought support for Wireless Triggers which I've also found invaluable... You simply will not find all of this in another device.

I just wish it was a little faster... W10 chews through the battery, but it's not so bad with a power pack. I can imagine a device like this would fly with an 808 or 810... With big files like these, those extra cores really count! I'm sad Microsoft won't be bringing redstone to the 1020, in my experience it's been a really solid, capable device.

Interestingly, it also has the best cellular antenna of any device I've ever owned. I imported the AT&T Variant and I get incredible coverage, where my network issued smartphones struggle to pick up 3G....

I'm with you on so many points, the strap, camera grip, flash though it doesn't light up everything. Haven't used a tripod yet since they are expensive here.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am running my 1020 on 218, but I am getting us 2 new 950s. I need a dual sim for work, so xl it is for me. Chintan did I read you live in Kenya? I want to visit there very bad, actually all of Africa. ITs beautiful there!

GO 1020.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I am running my 1020 on 218, but I am getting us 2 new 950s. I need a dual sim for work, so xl it is for me. Chintan did I read you live in Kenya? I want to visit there very bad, actually all of Africa. ITs beautiful there!

GO 1020.

yes, I do. Come on over, you're welcome whenever you like. You can send me a private message for any questions or just reply here so others can benefit from the information:wink:

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Same as mentioned somewhere above that main reason for upgrade is the better OS compared to Symbian. I had the N8 then 808 and then "909" but I think 808 is the best camera around. I have the 808 and hopefully I can flash it with custom firmware and use it as a camera and for the rest use the 1020. Although I am undecided about the WM10 for 1020.
At one stage I was against it when I tried the preview OS and I also lost the 8.1 Update when I rolled back from W10 and now that MS doesn't want us to have it I feel like using the TP seeing that there are fair few people who like it on the 1020 without much issues

nomolosanu

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Hello!

I still use my Lumia 1020, I shot over 6000 pictures with it and I have more than 100 hours of video.
This is my only phone and I use it as an all-in-one device.
I'm very satisfied of it. I love it.
If and only if Microsoft will have another device with a camera with a 41Mpixels sensor or more or if Nokia will come back in business with a device better than Lumia 1020 then I'll change my L1020.
I forgot to tell that I've installed W10Mobile insider on it and it works very well.

nedarata

May 5, 2015
Visit site
i still use it with w10m

don't be fooled with that 41mpix sensor
latest apple/samsung stuff will beat it even with ~12mpix sensors (sharper images, 10x faster shooting, usable panoramas, 4k video, improved OIS)
low light, dng and xenon flash are last 1020 advantages

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
don't be fooled with that 41mpix sensor
latest apple/samsung stuff will beat it even with ~12mpix sensors (sharper images, 10x faster shooting, usable panoramas, 4k video, improved OIS)
Exactly. The pixel count is the last thing that needs improvement.
low light, dng and xenon flash are last 1020 advantages
I don't think low light is that good, and Samsung does give you DNG/RAW as well. The S7 camera does have its drawbacks tho.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills