Who of us still with 1020 as the only and main phone?

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
My wife still uses a 1020 daily...but lately the battery has been terrible on it, nothing running in the background, also she said it stalls and freezes up a lot...I am mad that it won't get the official update to 10 when MS said that it will...I used to be a fan of Windows phone, but her next one probably will be an android to get a decent camera.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
My wife still uses a 1020 daily...but lately the battery has been terrible on it, nothing running in the background, also she said it stalls and freezes up a lot...
I had issues with mine recently, it took at least two seconds until it reacted when I pressed the unlock button. It also started crashing, and it wasn't possible to switch off wifi.

First I deleted all apps, but that didn't help. Then I went for a hard reset using the hardware buttons, and now the issues are gone. I actually had forgotten how easy it is to restore everything after a reset, just some logins and app settings. The phone is just as good as two years ago again. :)

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Lumia Camera though has issues on W10. Like the focus thing. The windows camera still lacks RAW output and the dual 38 + 5 Megapixel mode

I this really/still the case for those now on Win 10? I am considering buying a 1020 to bridge me over to the "next generation" (much delayed/if ever ;) of Win phones. IF I do this, Win 10 has to work well with the camera.

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
There's still Lumia Camera app available, "refurbished" on W10 store, and who works well after just the last W10 "insider preview" update.

John Christopoulos

May 9, 2014
Visit site
WHile trying the last Insider preview, Lumia Camera refused to download from Store. Sorry to disappoint you. But if you come from an earlier version of W10Mobile, with installed Lumia Camewra and just upgrade to the last version (no reset), it might work

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Well, this is 1020 forum, so I recommend to have W8.1 installed at first, working fine and stable. After that you can update to W10 through Insider, and DON'T DO HARD RESET. Firmware layer has to be kept.
As for Lumia Camera app, doing this, update of the app is allowed. This update is a kind of mix with Microsoft camera. In manual focus no infinite, but automatic focus is pretty decent

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, this is 1020 forum, so I recommend to have W8.1 installed at first, working fine and stable. After that you can update to W10 through Insider, and DON'T DO HARD RESET. Firmware layer has to be kept.
As for Lumia Camera app, doing this, update of the app is allowed. This update is a kind of mix with Microsoft camera. In manual focus no infinite, but automatic focus is pretty decent
What do you mean by "firmware layer has to be kept?" A hard reset does not overwrite the firmware, only settings. Besides, Microsoft has enabled Lumia Camera Classic on the 1020 on W10M to capture the 41mpx shots. The default camera app is not capable (won't be updated) to capture the high-res 41mpx shots

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
A hard get doesn't integrate so well with previous firmware.
Lot of people complaining of Lumia Camera not working correctly.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
A hard get doesn't integrate so well with previous firmware.
Lot of people complaining of Lumia Camera not working correctly.

So you're proposing not to hard reset because Lumia Camera will not work as expected (I haven't seen any confirmed reports but I'll take your word on it) but you may also know that a hard reset is more or less necessary between 8.1 >> 10 upgrade for the OS to function correctly. In that case the end user has to choose to either upgrade + hard reset (better stability in the long run) or upgrade and not hard reset (retain Lumia Camera settings but OS/device is unstable) or stick to 8.1?

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Good description. Without Hard Reset O.S is probably not optimized, but you have the satisfaction that all old apps keep working. And update including firmware like Denim would be necessary.
Not optimized, but stable anyway. That's my case. Main Windows functions like Bluetooth work pretty well. It's good anyway to cancel some Windows features. 100 % Windows features or 100 % external apps working. That's the choice.

carlcamera

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Still on the 1020 full time on WP8.1 and quite happy with what it provides. Not really tempted by the 950. I wish we had Edge though.
lumia-1020.jpg

cliac

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I bought my 1020 on the first day it became available at MS store. It's still my only phone right now. Started debating whether I shall go with a 950 or 950xl after bought a pair of 950/950xl during the BOGO promotion. What will be your opinion whether I shall keep using 1020 or switch to 950/950xl?

My major issue with 1020 is the battery life. But seems .338 makes it better - I have about 14 hrs per charge, based on Battery app.

The only "must have" feature 950/950xl gives me is dual sim capability. I do use a separate phone when travel overseas. A dual sim phone will be convenient.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Good description. Without Hard Reset O.S is probably not optimized, but you have the satisfaction that all old apps keep working. And update including firmware like Denim would be necessary.
Not optimized, but stable anyway. That's my case. Main Windows functions like Bluetooth work pretty well. It's good anyway to cancel some Windows features. 100 % Windows features or 100 % external apps working. That's the choice.

I still don't understand your point of "hard resetting clears firmware settings" and "not to hard reset on WM10". I haven't read any wide-spread reports to avoid hard-resetting after the upgrade. On the contrary, we here have been recommending a "hard reset" after the WP 8.1.x to WM 10 upgrade.

I bought my 1020 on the first day it became available at MS store. It's still my only phone right now. Started debating whether I shall go with a 950 or 950xl after bought a pair of 950/950xl during the BOGO promotion. What will be your opinion whether I shall keep using 1020 or switch to 950/950xl?

My major issue with 1020 is the battery life. But seems .338 makes it better - I have about 14 hrs per charge, based on Battery app.

The only "must have" feature 950/950xl gives me is dual sim capability. I do use a separate phone when travel overseas. A dual sim phone will be convenient.

If you already have a 950 XL lying around then its really a no-brainer. The camera experience (and everything else included) is better than the 1020.

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Camera experience is better, but pictures seen on a big screen have nothing to do, plus the ability to zoom.
Hard Reset is good for O.S. but, as W10 is not optimized for 1020, if you don't do it, Lumia Camera, Skype, Opera Mini, Vevo, Here apps, etc... work without bugs. (Who else can say that). I'm attached to my classy high level 1020 working in that way.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I still have mine. I was stupid and bought a 950. I love the images and video from the my 1020 and there's no universe where the crappy W10M on the 950 comes close to being as smooth, beautiful and functional as WP8.1 on my 1020. I just use the 950 to continue testing how horrible W10M is... and will always be. I'll use my 1020 until it doesn't work anymore.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
The camera is a lame 20mp compared to the 40mp of the 1020. Although the 950 is a faster camera, I always get better images with better close-UPS on my 1020. Also, the video on the 950 has ridiculous remnants when lights flash (like lightning, for example) that my 1020 doesn't get. Very distracting on playback. WP8.1 is better, period, than W10M. The performance of my 1020 on WP8.1 is infinitely better than performance on my lame 950.

Bai

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hello, long term WP user here. Right now using 830(dying) and BLU HD(very slow on w10 and not the best camera around), is it unwise to pickup a 1020? I understand battery life is not the greatest and it take about 2-3 sec for a pic, in general is it very slow?

gemini5150

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I was super reluctant to get rid of my 1020, I just did for the bogo on the lumia 950xl. One key feature that the 1020 had was the strap. I have yet to see another phone with one. However since the 950xl had a replaceable cover. I just drilled two little holes and boom now I have a strap on it. haha. it holds up really well too. so if the strap is holding you back, just drill the two holes and boom your 1020 is upgraded to 1050 statues.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3