I cannot get any app for my Lumia 1020 from the Windows Phone App Store

Austim

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
For the past month or so, I have been unable to get any apps from the Windows Phone App store.

Whichever App I try to access (I have tried many, all without success) I see the notice "This app does not work on your device", and the "Get the App" button is inactive. I even get this result when I browse to any of the apps that I have successfully downloaded in the past, and which are still working satisfactorily on my Lumia 1020.

While I can still download *some* apps directly via the Store app on my phone, that does not show all the apps that I can see from a search of the App Store website. For example, there is an app for Melbourne Weather that I have used for a year or more, but which was playing up (problem with downloading updates). I uninstalled that, hoping to reinstall a new copy, but cannot get it from my phone app.

I get the impression that perhaps the details of my phone may have been corrupted in my account profile. Could there be some way that I could delete the 1020 from that profile and reinstall it?

I did post a similar call for help from the Microsoft Community on May 22, That did not turn up any solution, but it did show that 4 other users have the same problem.

I would welcome any suggestion that might lead to a solution.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
For the past month or so, I have been unable to get any apps from the Windows Phone App store.

Whichever App I try to access (I have tried many, all without success) I see the notice "This app does not work on your device", and the "Get the App" button is inactive. I even get this result when I browse to any of the apps that I have successfully downloaded in the past, and which are still working satisfactorily on my Lumia 1020.

While I can still download *some* apps directly via the Store app on my phone, that does not show all the apps that I can see from a search of the App Store website. For example, there is an app for Melbourne Weather that I have used for a year or more, but which was playing up (problem with downloading updates). I uninstalled that, hoping to reinstall a new copy, but cannot get it from my phone app.

I get the impression that perhaps the details of my phone may have been corrupted in my account profile. Could there be some way that I could delete the 1020 from that profile and reinstall it?

I did post a similar call for help from the Microsoft Community on May 22, That did not turn up any solution, but it did show that 4 other users have the same problem.

I would welcome any suggestion that might lead to a solution.

what version of OS are you running?

i can think of two solutions that will both take time:
One is to enrol into windows insider program and then install windows 10 mobile which could potentially solve the apps issue - but there would some issues with W10M on your phone that we can't foresee
Second is to do a factory reset and install everything from scratch

Austim

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Currently running Windows Phone 8.1 update.

Thinking that I might have had an old backup, I did do a hard reset, but the only backup it could find was pretty recent, and the problem remained.

I'm not keen on the upgrade to Win 10 - I can live with the problem as if, if it comes to that.

If I do a factory reset, will I lose my only backup, and could I be 100% confident that the problem would go away? I would prefer not to have to lose all my contacts etc. and still have the problem.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Currently running Windows Phone 8.1 update.

Thinking that I might have had an old backup, I did do a hard reset, but the only backup it could find was pretty recent, and the problem remained.

I'm not keen on the upgrade to Win 10 - I can live with the problem as if, if it comes to that.

If I do a factory reset, will I lose my only backup, and could I be 100% confident that the problem would go away? I would prefer not to have to lose all my contacts etc. and still have the problem.

If you do a hard reset, what you would lose is app data such as game saves and such. Contacts, messages - those are automatically backed up if you have enabled backup for them. Your contacts are saved in your MS account. Photos and videos - you can copy them to pc before doing the hard reset and then copy them back.

So do the hard reset, do not select any restore point and just sign in back to your MS account. For apps, you can go to store and download one by one by checking them in history

Austim

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Oooops!

I have now done the full reset, and signed back to my MS account.

Sadly, I am still unable to download any apps. The "The app does not work on your device" message is still showing for all Apps. That stops me from downloading any of the apps that I had already downloaded (and paid for in some instances).

Hopefully I will be able to restore from backup again, and be no worse off than I was when I started all this.

I definitely don't want to upgrade to Win10 and risk the possibility that my inability to download any new apps is carried over to the new OS.

I am going to try accessing the Store website with some other Internet browsers, just in the faint hope that perhaps I have some corruption stored in my browser cache.

Austim

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps that was worth a try. but...

Using Opera for the first time ever, I am still unable to access any App from the website (including those which had been installed on my phone).

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Oooops!

I have now done the full reset, and signed back to my MS account.

Sadly, I am still unable to download any apps. The "The app does not work on your device" message is still showing for all Apps. That stops me from downloading any of the apps that I had already downloaded (and paid for in some instances).

Hopefully I will be able to restore from backup again, and be no worse off than I was when I started all this.

I definitely don't want to upgrade to Win10 and risk the possibility that my inability to download any new apps is carried over to the new OS.

I am going to try accessing the Store website with some other Internet browsers, just in the faint hope that perhaps I have some corruption stored in my browser cache.

so you can't download any app at all? Even the basic ones like whatsapp? or 6tag?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering. How many Windows devices do you own or have owned in the past? It could be due to your account being used by more than 10 devices?

Last edited:

Austim

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I had wondered about that, but was unsure how to create a new account. I'll give that another try.

Thanks greatly for your persistence.

Austim

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I apologize for dragging this out, but......

I now have a second MS account, but do not understand how to register my phone in it.

I have added the second email address to my phone in "email+accounts", but then what should I do?

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Some apps that can't be seen in the store for 1020 are available to see and download through an app called "SysApp Pusher" (hopefully you can download this one) this app by itself has been great to find apps for the 1020

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Some apps that can't be seen in the store for 1020 are available to see and download through an app called "SysApp Pusher" (hopefully you can download this one) this app by itself has been great to find apps for the 1020

but his issue has been that he cant install any app at all, including ones that can be installed by any phone on 8.1

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I apologize for dragging this out, but......

I now have a second MS account, but do not understand how to register my phone in it.

I have added the second email address to my phone in "email+accounts", but then what should I do?

you'll have to reset your device and then set up your phone with the new account. That's a hard process but you need to do it
If you finish it and set up your phone using the new account and you can install apps, then the rest should be easy

Austim

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Sad news.

Having reset the phone to my new account, I am no further on. I tried whattsapp and 6tag - both say they wont work on my device.

I am about to return to my original account, and accept that my problem is permanent.

Thanks to you all.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest this. Go online and remove the phone from your Microsoft account. Then hard reset and do not restore the backup. If you have the time, I would suggest wiping the phone firmware completely using WDRT instead of a hard reset. Then download all OTA updates (if any) and then setup your phone.

It could be that either your phone's firmware is acting OR the app you're trying to install is acting. Being able to download other apps does mean your account is good.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Sad news.

Having reset the phone to my new account, I am no further on. I tried whattsapp and 6tag - both say they wont work on my device.

I am about to return to my original account, and accept that my problem is permanent.

Thanks to you all.

try the solution suggested above

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)