New L1020 owner asking for general inputs

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Nice to see a resurgence for the L1020.
It was my dream phone when I first read about it.
So glad I had a chance to own one.

I was thinking the very same thing a short while ago! I believe that many of us were sitting on the sidelines waiting for a suitable Lumia /Surface replacement or even (heaven forbid!) an iThing/Andy that would substantially exceed it. The latter two DID improve...but still now a 1020 or even 950 in capable hands...

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The grip is somewhat delicate.

I put the grip on and never took it off because my 1020 was a camera more than a phone.
The grip is a bit difficult to pop off actually.
With the grip the phone is still quite pocketable.

Also bought a short right angle micro USB to A cable to use for transfers/charging and left it in the usb port on the grip.
Thought doing that would lessen the stress on the port.

Just a few more thoughts...

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
On the subject of camera phones, have yous guys seen this? I'm sure it will give excellent results but how I wish they'd given it a big sensor like the 1020.
KODAK EKTRA Smartphone | Kodak

Great catch! I knew that something was coming from my old company but did not know it was just announced. It is also a bit of a coincidence in that right this morning, while shaving I was kind of hoping that Microsoft and Kodak would partner for a L1020 kind of follow up. The Ektar family of optics was always outstanding stuff plus Kodak's imaging algorithms were most advanced (if wasted by misguided marketing decisions).

Well, Microsoft won't be involved, at least for now. I see that Android is Kodak's choice for what will only be available in Europe for now, and with a very appealing features set. Hmm, better alert Qtweeter and whoever else among us here might be in those parts.

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I've ordered a BNIB Camera Grip and a 72" tripod.
Should be here by Friday. Still (impatiently) waiting for the 1020.

Neat! In the meantime, I tested the wireless FTP transfers to a PC (went well) and ordered a couple of different Qi micro usb charging receivers to try. It seems like the latter will be longer than what Qtweeter found in the UK but I could not find anything as short. Since the lens assembly leaves less space to play with, I may have to tweak things a bit ... or go for a Plan B (adapting from Nokia grip). Then again, there's also Guytronic's comment that the Grip is rather compact, which is intriguing. I'll know by Friday also, since mine should be here by then.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 1020 should be here today when I get home from work.

72" tripod arrives tomorrow (no more shooting from the odd perspective of 4' height).

Camera Grip on Friday.

I have some supplies to make quick detach wrist and neck straps so they will be easily interchangeable. One each for the 1020 and one each for the 1520. I plan to document the construction and results. I started this project with my 1520 retiring to camera duty, then decided to add a 1020. I may have to make a new meta-thread somewhere to put it all under one title.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
IMO the 1020 isn't good on WM10.
When I forced 10 onto my former 1020 it wasn't good.

The 1020 is best left to what it was aimed at which was WP8 and up to 8.1.
I absolutely hated WM10 on my 1020 because in essence it destroyed the camera.

Leave it alone for a joyful experience.
I'll take that advice as well.

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
My Lumia 1020 should be here today when I get home from work. 72" tripod arrives tomorrow (no more shooting from the odd perspective of 4' height). Camera Grip on Friday.

- RN, my grip arrived early...Wednesday. Tested it briefly. Works great for the most. I could even consider "permanent use" due to a nice "accident": a cheap canvas holster I ordered for temporary use is large enough for camera + grip. Bulky but not too much.
- One "big" problem with using the grip on full-time: Darn phone thinks it is a charger...phone never turns off fully. There may be a solution for this out there. I have a distinct recollection of someone saying that some later Win 10 mobile versions already fixed the issue.
- Also received today were a wireless charging base and two different receiving plates. One plate is going back to Amazon...heat almost fried a phone.
- The other plate seems to work like charm along with the new base...will confirm and provide links in a few days.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
re. the grip charging, just press the tiny little button next to the row of leds for about 5 seconds and that toggles the "charging" feature on or off

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
re. the grip charging, just press the tiny little button next to the row of leds for about 5 seconds and that toggles the "charging" feature on or off

Thanks! Confirmed; called home and asked my wife to try it. Now I have an extra choice.

OTOH, the wireless charging combo kept working well this morning. I went to bed and left YouTube videos running while on the charger. The concerns were heat and whether it would keep charging along the way (current). Happily, heat stayed acceptable and the darn thing charged, despite a draw on a card that has a low amp rating. So, Wi-fi + video streaming + charging still left slower but useful charging at about 1% per 5 minutes or so...roughly clocked for now.

Which, taken with your own experience with a similarly-rated card, may mean that 700mA is the sweet spot as far a power and heat. Thanks to your earlier link to the already discontinued Amazon UK version, I had decided to enlarge their photos to see if the power rating could be found. Big pixels and all, it seemed to be lower in amps than anything out there. Since it worked for you, I looked for something along those lines also. Bingo! Tks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster