Windows Insider

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey so I don't use Windows Phone as my primary OS but I still love my Lumia 1020 and I would like to try out Windows 10 Mobile without buying another phone. If the performamce suffers too much I'll go back to WP8.1. My question is how do I do this in 2017? I remember using the Windows Insider app a long time ago on my Lumia 920. I have the app on my Lumia 1020 and I signed up for preview builds but nothing happens after that. I went to settings and phone update and it keeps saying the phone is up to date. Is there something else I need to do to get it to work. I remember reading that the Lumia 1020 wasn't officially supported for W10M but I'm not sure if there is a work around for it.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
There is a way, I think. Search for "Lumia 1020 Registry Hack" on Bing or Google. I'm pretty sure doing this really throws off the 1020's camera though.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
All the details are here if you want to get the Threshold 2 branch of W10M (currently latest build is 10586.753) on an unsupported Lumia - http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...s-10-mobile-10586-xxx-unsupported-lumias.html

If you want the newer Redstone branch, you have to change the device model in the Registry to that of a supported device and then join the Insider Preview - I haven't done this as it is much more complicated/risky and Redstone was never supported for the older Lumias (though many say it works well), whereas Threshold 2 was previously kind-of supported via the Insider Preview.

I haven't had any problems with the camera on my 1020 as a result of upgrading, as far as I know. Make sure you download and use the old Lumia Camera app rather than the built-in Camera app though. You can always go back to 8.1 if you need to by erasing and restoring it using the Windows Device Recovery Tool, so it is definitely worth trying W10M (if you don't mind erasing your device, which is strongly recommended after upgrading and is the only way to roll back to 8.1).

Just signing up to the Insider Preview now on an unsupported Lumia without changing the model won't do anything these days, it will never find any updates to download.
Ok thanks for the link and info. I don't have too many things loaded onto my 1020 as a result of me using Android as my daily driver anyway so I guess it's worth a shot, especially if I can keep the wonderful camera quality.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo