p20 pro

pruimman

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys think the P20 PRO is a worthy successor of my old lumia 1020

It also has 40MP so:p
to bad its android, nut im thinking of buying this one.

What are your opinions?

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Do it. The lowlight and zoom capabilities are amazing. The monochrome sensor alone is fantastic so there's heaps of camera options.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I've spent the last hour and a half looking over the same pics in the DxO P20 Pro review and it's just super apparent to me that the p20 isn't anywhere CLOSE to the same league as the 1020. It's actually quite a bit worse than I initially thought. I'm sorry, it's just not even close.

The biggest thing I see is that is smears the living snot out of details. Even at low ISO. And at high ISO, it smears it so damn much that it has that "pastel" look, but it's so far past the pastel look that it just looks like it is posterized. I didn't know it was as bad as it was until I looked closely at the pics in the review. And the noise reduction is SOOOO aggressive that there are artifacts on EVERY edge. When it's so bad like that, you cannot reduce it yourself. If the noise reduction is reasonable, then it's pretty consistent throughout the entire image, which means you can post process it really easily to your preference.

When I looked at the ISO 800 and 1000 photos, they really shocked me how they had NO detail left at all at 100%. The pixels have no clarity. I would rather have 5MP resolution with clarity and detail over 10 or 20MP of smeared mush. I tried reducing the P20 photos to 5MP, but they still looked smeared and void of detail.

Here are the same photos from the DxO review, who sell themselves as digital imaging experts. (Though I totally think they are out to lunch)

1. Huawei P20 Pro - ISO800 Full image -
P20a.jpg

2. Huawei P20 Pro - ISO800 100% crop
P20aa.jpg

The detail is so smeared out it looks like pastel.

3. Huawei P20 Pro - ISO1000 Full image
P20b.jpg

4. Huawei P20 Pro - ISO1000 100% crop
P20bb.jpg

Even worse at ISO1000. So smeary it looks practically posterized. No detail whatsoever. It looks like someone took a photo, printed it out, and then took a photo of the print in a very dark area. It looks horrific. But... not very surprising for a smartphone.

What WAS surprising was how bad it still looked at LOW ISO. It's supposed to look amazing at low ISO, but it still looks all smeary and lots of lost detail. Not as bad as high ISO, but still what I would consider to be ugly as heck.

5. Huawei P20 Pro - ISO50 full image
P20c.jpg

6. Huawei P20 Pro - ISO50 100% crop See how blended the hairs are, the fuzz on her scarf looks like puke. Skin looks plastic. It is SO overprocessed.
P20cc.jpg

And at first glance, the below photo looks good....
7. Huawei P20 Pro - ISO50 full image
P20d.jpg

Until you zoom in to 100%, and the grass looks horrendously BAD.
8. Huawei P20 Pro - ISO50 100% crop
P20dd.jpg

So I was just wondering if it had been so long since I used the 1020 that maybe my memory of it was a little too rosy. I went into my images and looked up some high ISO, low ISO faces, and some grass.
Here is a grass shot for comparison
9. Lumia 1020 - Full scene
1020_grass.jpg

10. Lumia 1020 - 100% crop
1020_grass2.jpg

And what do you know, the grass still looks like grass.

Then I tried to find a photo I took that would challenge the noise processing of the 1020. That would be a lot of high contrast lines on a darker toned image:

11. Lumia 1020 - ISO1000 Noise test full scene
1020_noise.jpg

12. Lumia 1020 - ISO1000 Noise test 100% crop
1020_noise2.jpg

Looking at these above, I am still blown away at what the 1020 could do. I honestly wouldn't get results significantly better on my professional camera gear. It would be more resolution, but I don't think I'd extract any extra usable detail.

Here is a high ISO 100% crop (I can provide the full images too if people want)
13. Lumia 1020 - ISO1600 @ 100% crop
1020_ISO1600.jpg

Look at how controlled and consistent the noise pattern is. And it's not even very noisy at all. It would be SUPER easy to reduce the noise if I wanted to. The clarity and detail is excellent. I can count each stitch on my son's shirt. It doesn't look smudged at all. You can see texture and perceive it's depth so easily because it isn't smeared at all. The 1020 is still blowing me away, 5 years after I first got it.

14. Lumia 1020 - ISO100 @ 100% crop
1020_ISO100.jpg

And at ISO100 above, it looks fantastic... comparable to a true DSLR in clarity.

So yes, I DO applaud Huawei for their attempt. And functionally the phone is much better than the 1020, but when it comes to pure imaging prowess, it is not even remotely close to the 1020. Upon careful comparison, the gap is a lot wider than I originally thought it was.

I would definitely not think it would be worthy to be called a viable Lumia 1020 successor.

It just makes me sad that I have nothing modern to use that has comparable image quality to what I had 5 years ago.

Last edited:

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
A factor here with the P20 Pro is the A.I kicking in with portrait mode and artificially smoothing the skin which is very popular in Asia.

I won't try making any excuses fir the grass though. My Mate 10 Pro is much the same and it irritates me

Last edited:

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
A factor here with the P20 Pro is the A.I kicking in with portrait mode and artificially smoothing the skin which is very popular in Asia.

I won't try making any excuses fir the grass though. My Mate 10 Pro is much the same and it irritates me

The thing is, it's not just faces. Clothing and hair lack texture, and anything that is a challenge to noise reduction algorithms are just REALLY bad. Don't get me wrong, I love Huawei and I love how they are pushing boundaries bigger companies aren't, but I just don't think this camera is one of them. On paper, it seems like it would be, but the results just are not. Especially when compared to the 1020.

Nguyen1

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
Did you guys see the test done on gsmarena between p20 pro and 1020?
Also, I agree that many Asian consumers like the smooth skin look of portrait mode. See the Exilim makeup cameras by Casio, for instance, very popular for selfies. The P20 just gives consumers what they want.

I personally will stick with my 1020, which takes some incredible pictures if I use it properly.

nlm

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the in-depth review and comparison. I wonder if the P20 Pro images on DxO are from the Pro setting, which tends to over-saturate and lose detail? One of the many P20 Pro vs 1020 reviews compared the P20 Pro in Pro mode, pro off and the 1020, noted how terrible the Pro setting was relative to the other images and continued with the comparison with the Pro setting off.

Also many of the other reviews seem to conclude that the P20 Pro maintains better overall detail than the 1020. There are more comparisons out there between the P20 and the 1020 than I thought.

fat8893

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
If you want zoom and ultrawide versatility, than the Huawei's your only choice.

If that's none of your concern, just stick with 1020 if I were you. I know it's old and slow and outdated, but it still can produce brilliant, if not better photo quality than Huawei's, even with the latest P30 Pro, especially in DNG format.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte