Should I just buy it?

TCB1468

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I am seriously considering a Lumia 1320. I currently have a laggy Galaxy Note II. I have had it since launch and really love it except for the frequent times it gets bogged down. I am jealous of other iPhone and Windows Phone users that can fly through different apps without slowing down. My Note II is fast and smooth once an app is completely opened but the first few actions in any app are a laggy mess especially the messaging and gallery app. It is embarrassing when you take a group photo and they want to see it but your Note II takes 6 or 7 laggy seconds to open the gallery app. Haha. I used to have a Titan II and even that would open the gallery and messaging apps smoother. Although the Note II beats it for web browsing. Anyways I really miss the fluidity of Windows Phone so do you think the 1320 would be good fit? The one thing I am worried about is the screen PPI. I hated seeing the pixels so much on the Titan II and am not completely satisfied with the Surface RT (first gen) PPI. If it is like my Note II then that would be perfect. So should I get the 1320 or 920 with more PPI and better camera but small screen? This is all off contract by the way. My upgrade is not until the end of the year. Thank you and sorry this is so long.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I would say to get a windows phone, the question is, which one.

The 920 and 925 are steller phones, but lack the screen size of the phablets. You can't go wrong with any of the choices to be honest, but I do think that if you can live with a screen size drop, then get a 92x. If not, sell the note and get a 1520 from eBay.

TCB1468

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
So do you think the PPI on the 1320 will bother me? I don't really want to buy a 1520 right now because my upgrade is so close at the end of the year. So at that time I can buy the newest windows flagship. Right now I just want something for 300 or under. I like the 920 but the screen is small and the fact that it is two years old worries me.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
So do you think the PPI on the 1320 will bother me? I don't really want to buy a 1520 right now because my upgrade is so close at the end of the year. So at that time I can buy the newest windows flagship. Right now I just want something for 300 or under. I like the 920 but the screen is small and the fact that it is two years old worries me.

My 920 works just fine running 8.1. Of course I've used and abused it since the day it came out, so the battery doesn't last quite as long. But overall it works great. I've never used a 1320 so i'm not sure about it. Maybe just go to a local store so you can see what it looks like in person. There's also the option of just suffering with your current device until your contract is up. I know it seams harsh, but time really does go by fast and before you know it, it'll be over.

TCB1468

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Any more advice? I guess my only real concern is hating the screen. The screen on my Note II is pretty much perfect for my standards besides outdoor visibility. The Note II's PPI is 267 and the 1320 is 245. Do you think this is close enough? I know I am paying to much attention to the specs. Haha. But this is really the only spec I pay attention to. I keep thinking to just go with the 920 but the screen just looked so small...

James Griggs

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Any more advice? I guess my only real concern is hating the screen. The screen on my Note II is pretty much perfect for my standards besides outdoor visibility. The Note II's PPI is 267 and the 1320 is 245. Do you think this is close enough? I know I am paying to much attention to the specs. Haha. But this is really the only spec I pay attention to. I keep thinking to just go with the 920 but the screen just looked so small...
The PPI should be fine... On the 1320. The 920 does have a puny screen compared to a phablet...

p.vivekkumar

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Dear its personal decision however before buying windows phone, you should be ready to accept few things which windows phone lacks specially when you belong to Android genre...

1) If you have WIFI around you, then only go for WP as big files are restricted to WIFI only for download. No liberty given to user to choose between WIFI or DATA plan.
2) If you are habituated to File Manager then WP is not for you as it does not have file manager.
3) If you share pre recorded audio/video through IMs like whatsapp then this is not your type of phone as wp support sharing of pre recorded audio/video only through Bluetooth, mails, one drive etc.
4) If you have habit of keeping different videos in separate Album/folder/genre etc then this is not your type of phone as video hub displays all videos so you need to search manually for desired video.
5) You can not hide your very private/personal audio/video/picture.
6) If you are addicted to apps, then please check all the available apps in store as wp lacks apps miserable.
7) No privacy, as if you friend takes your phone just to check features he will be able to see all personal files, you kept it in phone. So, either you don't buy WP or stop giving your phone even for a minute.
8) WP8.1 upgrade also wont help you much as this is more of a upgraded interface rather than utilities. And 8.1 eats up all you battery in no time.
9) A better dialer is much needed in WP. What we have now is fine but why doesn't the dialer integrate with the contacts hub so that when we type someone's name or number, it autofills or at least shows suggestions for available contacts?

Over all its not the phone, you can call personal as everything is under the control of Microsoft. This smartphone is not even as smart as old Nokia Qwerty series like e5, 61 etc etc . Apart from above lackings or some more which right now, I don't remember, phone is Brand " Nokia " which is known for great build quality, best hardware quality, sturdy, beautiful.

Last edited:

kmok

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Dear its personal decision however before buying windows phone, you should be ready to accept few things which windows phone lacks specially when you belong to Android genre...

1) If you have WIFI around you, then only go for WP as big files are restricted to WIFI only for download. No liberty given to user to choose between WIFI or DATA plan.
2) If you are habituated to File Manager then WP is not for you as it does not have file manager.
3) If you share pre recorded audio/video through IMs like whatsapp then this is not your type of phone as wp support sharing of pre recorded audio/video only through Bluetooth, mails, one drive etc.
4) If you have habit of keeping different videos in separate Album/folder/genre etc then this is not your type of phone as video hub displays all videos so you need to search manually for desired video.
5) You can not hide your very private/personal audio/video/picture.
6) If you are addicted to apps, then please check all the available apps in store as wp lacks apps miserable.
7) No privacy, as if you friend takes your phone just to check features he will be able to see all personal files, you kept it in phone. So, either you don't buy WP or stop giving your phone even for a minute.
8) WP8.1 upgrade also wont help you much as this is more of a upgraded interface rather than utilities. And 8.1 eats up all you battery in no time.

Over all its not the phone, you can call personal as everything is under the control of Microsoft. This smartphone is not even as smart as old Nokia Qwerty series like e5, 61 etc etc . Apart from above lackings or some more which right now, I don't remember, phone is Brand " Nokia " which is known for great build quality, best hardware quality, sturdy, beautiful.
There seems to be a lot of wrong information here.
1. I have not had this experience except with updates, does this happen when downloading files through a web browser?
2. Pocket File Manager is a good file explorer and there are many other good choices. The file managers seem to be able to do a lot more now then when I came to Windows Phone.
3. I haven't experienced this, but I believe you on this one.
4. This is somewhat annoying to me, but I don't take a lot of pictures.
5. Yes you can, just need an app. I use "Unit Converter" which is disguised as a unit conversion app but lets you hide and encrypt pictures and videos.
6. There are a lot of third party apps available and have met most of my needs. I wish some Google Apps were available that I used when I was on Android (mainly Google Voice and Chromecast support).
7. Put a lock code on your screen? This is the case for Android and iOS as well. I know there are apps on Android where you can set passwords for different apps, but who really needs that.
8. I personally really like the WP8.1 update with the notification center. I really missed having a notification center on Android. Battery life is about the same for me.

I have been a long time Android user and I always rooted my phone and flashed ROMS but I have since switched to WP and like it much better than Android. I still switch back to my android phone from time to time to play around with it but I always come back to my WP. I was looking at the 1320, but it did not have the 3G/HSPA+/LTE bands I was looking for. I ended up going with a Lumia 820 because of the micro SD card slot and removable battery. I think only having 16GB of storage and no expandable storage with the Lumia 920 would not be sufficient and is why I did not end up going with one. I would personally go with the 1320 over the 920. In the end it all depends on what you want out of the phone. The bigger screen with better storage or better screen with limited storage. Performance will probably be about the same, but maybe a little better with the 1320's better processor and GPU.

p.vivekkumar

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
1. I have not had this experience except with updates, does this happen when downloading files through a web browser?
2. Pocket File Manager is a good file explorer and there are many other good choices. The file managers seem to be able to do a lot more now then when I came to Windows Phone.
5. Yes you can, just need an app. I use "Unit Converter" which is disguised as a unit conversion app but lets you hide and encrypt pictures and videos.
6. There are a lot of third party apps available and have met most of my needs. I wish some Google Apps were available that I used when I was on Android (mainly Google Voice and Chromecast support).
7. Put a lock code on your screen? This is the case for Android and iOS as well. I know there are apps on Android where you can set passwords for different apps, but who really needs that.
8. I personally really like the WP8.1 update with the notification center. I really missed having a notification center on Android. Battery life is about the same for me.

I have been a long time Android user and I always rooted my phone and flashed ROMS but I have since switched to WP and like it much better than Android. I still switch back to my android phone from time to time to play around with it but I always come back to my WP. I was looking at the 1320, but it did not have the 3G/HSPA+/LTE bands I was looking for. I ended up going with a Lumia 820 because of the micro SD card slot and removable battery. I think only having 16GB of storage and no expandable storage with the Lumia 920 would not be sufficient and is why I did not end up going with one. I would personally go with the 1320 over the 920. In the end it all depends on what you want out of the phone. The bigger screen with better storage or better screen with limited storage. Performance will probably be about the same, but maybe a little better with the 1320's better processor and GPU.

I wrote what I have faced so far. I may be wrong or mis informed. However, honestly speaking, I used all OS except iOS ( But I know little abt it as my brother owns it) that's why I was disappointed after using WP 8. WP8.1 was my last resort and definitely it helped me to change my decision to move back to Android. However, its a fact that even after massive update from Microsoft, WP 8.1 is still behind other OS and Microsoft needs to listen to its users to upgrade and make it best.

1) Yes, try to download big files like Here Maps, Big size games like Asphalt 8 etc. Take today's incident, due to last night heavy rain, my broadband is not working so my WIFI. But my data plan services is working fine. Both are different service provider and I need to update Pocket File Manager, network +, 2048, Line, touch, PDF reader. I have to wait for wifi, no option. Microsoft needs to understand most of the world does not have hi speed wifi around them like in USA people have.
2) I may be wrong but in built file manager seems to work more efficiently then third party as it is the issue of deepest kept file in the system and permission from OS.
3) I am surprised that you haven't heard about one of the most common issue of WP.
4) Phones are for everybody weather he takes less picture or more. Cant segregate on the basis of habits.
5) I may be wrong but I feel WP apps to hide pics does not work efficiently as they don't move files to hidden folder, actually they copy it to hidden folder and after sending pics to that gallery lock, we need to delete it from original and if you want to retrieve it or unlock it, it wont go back to original folder, it goes to "Saved Photos" folder. where already you have many pics saved and you need to search manually for your pics to see. Just imagine if again you want to send it back to lock, again you have to select>send>select>delete from folder.
6) Apps are the key to success of any OS now a days. weather its a big company or small, every body has their app in iOS and Android. But WP just can not compete.
7) Its my humble request that don't take it personal, I am just giving examples. Imagine someone has some very personal pics of his girlfriend or wife in his phone and if your boss's/friend's phone battery gone dry and he asks for your phone to do few calls, in that case one needs to open the security lock. Or take it other way, everybody has at least few restricted picture or videos in their phone, I case your close one asks for phone just to play around with features so that he/she can make up his/her mind for next phone change then....one needs to protect his phone all the time. What I am telling is very practical thing which happens in our daily life. So, that statement " who needs that" is very theoretical not practical.
8) you are lucky that you battery is good. Most of the people are facing battery problem after WP 8.1 update.

As I said, phone is good but Microsoft has to be a bit flexible on few things. And 920 has 32 GB internal memory. 16 GB phone which you were talking about is lumia 925.

Last edited:

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site

The 2012 Nexus 7 and most Galaxy Tabs (7") have 1280*800 resolution on 7 inches, and the screen was considered top notch when they were released. 1320 resolution is just fine. It has better PPI than Lumia 720 (217ppi), and you can read on it just fine. Sure, it's not as sharp as 1080p would be, but it's certainly not a dealbreaker, WP works really well with low PPI because of it's simplistic, sharp design.

Also a comment on laggy apps on android: WP solves this with 'loading' screens, and those can be quite long sometimes on low-range phones, however, once the loading screen is over, app flies. I find loading screens a better solution, at least the app doesn't tease you with it's unresponsiveness :D

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
7) ... Imagine someone has some very personal pics of his girlfriend or wife in his phone and if your boss's/friend's phone battery gone dry and he asks for your phone to do few calls, in that case one needs to open the security lock. Or take it other way, everybody has at least few restricted picture or videos in their phone, I case your close one asks for phone just to play around with features so that he/she can make up his/her mind for next phone change then....one needs to protect his phone all the time.
first, it's a bad idea to keep such photos on your phone, protected app or not, files have to be physically stored somewhere, and photo hiders on android just create a bunch of bogus folders and store .jpgs in there. Not exactly safe. At least you could put such photos on dropbox and use CloudSix for dropbox with PIN access. If you lose your phone or it gets stolen you can just unlink it from dropbox and naughty photos will be gone forever from the phone. Nothing is more tempting then a PIN protected gallery.

8) you are lucky that you battery is good. Most of the people are facing battery problem after WP 8.1 update.
Battery is just fine once you reset your phone, and once the official update comes the battery will improve again, because of updated firmware. Another simple solution is to wait for official update in the first place.

I also have another comment on file managers: they are absolutely not needed in WP, files are very neatly organized in apps like music, photos, documents etc. If you rely heavily on your phone to execute shell scripts and email zipped files then WP may not be suitable for you, but if you use the phone for phone, internet and multimedia I found it a no brainer. And I used file managers on android A LOT before getting the WP.

p.vivekkumar

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I also have another comment on file managers: they are absolutely not needed in WP, files are very neatly organized in apps like music, photos, documents etc. If you rely heavily on your phone to execute shell scripts and email zipped files then WP may not be suitable for you, but if you use the phone for phone, internet and multimedia I found it a no brainer. And I used file managers on android A LOT before getting the WP.

For usage of phone for phone, internet and multimedia, nokia's old feature phones like Nokia e series, N Series, X series was very efficient then why world moved to smart phones. Infact Asha 502 can also handle phone calls, internet, multimedia, Whatapps, facebook etc etc...how nokia lumia is different or better than those featured phone. I liked Lumia because its Nokia made, good hardware quality and good UI. Apart from that I feel, this is the only smart phone which is not smart yet....long way to go....

George Jenkinson

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

I haven't seen a 1320, but I can offer my experience in going from a 920 (4.5 inch screen) down to iPhone 5S (4 inch screen). I use my phones for work and don't watch videos, play games or stream anything, so I can't offer experience on that part, but for email, general website use and photos, I notice the smaller screen makes a difference. I have to zoom a lot more and flip the phone to landscape for reading. I have got used to it though, so you may also adapt to a smaller screen. (The drop in size from your Note 2 to a 920, probably isn't as extreme as from 4.5 to 4 as the 4 inch screen really is small by today's standards...

You'll love the camera on the 920 btw...

TCB1468

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I am not to worried about the software limitations of WP because I used to have a Titan II with WP7 and didn't have any problems that WP8 hasn't fixed now. I am not big into file managers on either Android or Windows Phone. I keep a lot of music and photos on my phone but I have never needed a file manager really. And for security a passcode is plenty and kidscorner will be useful! So I guess I just have to decide between the camera of the 920 or the large screen of the 1320. My first thoughts would be just to use my Pentax Q and NX300 to take pictures and put them on the microsdand big screen of the 1320. But a good camera on the 920 would be nice...

TCB1468

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site

There is a version of the 1320 with LTE right? I am on att. I assumed there was because the online stores I have been looking at say LTE.

kmok

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I wrote what I have faced so far. I may be wrong or mis informed. However, honestly speaking, I used all OS except iOS ( But I know little abt it as my brother owns it) that's why I was disappointed after using WP 8. WP8.1 was my last resort and definitely it helped me to change my decision to move back to Android. However, its a fact that even after massive update from Microsoft, WP 8.1 is still behind other OS and Microsoft needs to listen to its users to upgrade and make it best.

1) Yes, try to download big files like Here Maps, Big size games like Asphalt 8 etc. Take today's incident, due to last night heavy rain, my broadband is not working so my WIFI. But my data plan services is working fine. Both are different service provider and I need to update Pocket File Manager, network +, 2048, Line, touch, PDF reader. I have to wait for wifi, no option. Microsoft needs to understand most of the world does not have hi speed wifi around them like in USA people have.
2) I may be wrong but in built file manager seems to work more efficiently then third party as it is the issue of deepest kept file in the system and permission from OS.
3) I am surprised that you haven't heard about one of the most common issue of WP.
4) Phones are for everybody weather he takes less picture or more. Cant segregate on the basis of habits.
5) I may be wrong but I feel WP apps to hide pics does not work efficiently as they don't move files to hidden folder, actually they copy it to hidden folder and after sending pics to that gallery lock, we need to delete it from original and if you want to retrieve it or unlock it, it wont go back to original folder, it goes to "Saved Photos" folder. where already you have many pics saved and you need to search manually for your pics to see. Just imagine if again you want to send it back to lock, again you have to select>send>select>delete from folder.
6) Apps are the key to success of any OS now a days. weather its a big company or small, every body has their app in iOS and Android. But WP just can not compete.
7) Its my humble request that don't take it personal, I am just giving examples. Imagine someone has some very personal pics of his girlfriend or wife in his phone and if your boss's/friend's phone battery gone dry and he asks for your phone to do few calls, in that case one needs to open the security lock. Or take it other way, everybody has at least few restricted picture or videos in their phone, I case your close one asks for phone just to play around with features so that he/she can make up his/her mind for next phone change then....one needs to protect his phone all the time. What I am telling is very practical thing which happens in our daily life. So, that statement " who needs that" is very theoretical not practical.

As I said, phone is good but Microsoft has to be a bit flexible on few things. And 920 has 32 GB internal memory. 16 GB phone which you were talking about is lumia 925.

I understand WP is behind other mobile operating systems currently, but I can see they are improving.

1. I'll definitely have to look into that. I'll probably do some experimenting once I near the end of my month of service so I don't use all of my data up early on lol.
2. On Android I never used the native file manager and a native file manager was rare before Jelly Bean if I remember correctly. You can actually do a lot with the currently available file managers you obviously need to find a decent one.
3. I don't send a lot of videos or audio through MMS. We're different users with different needs lol.
4.I wouldn't say I was segregating. I was just giving my experience for the OP.
5. What were you doing before on another OS to hide pictures? The app I mentioned keeps them hidden and allows for you to access them without having to move them back and forth. On Android I placed a .nomedia file into the folder or used an app.
6. I understand apps are very important, but most of a user's needs can be met through the currently available apps. This obviously is not done in the most ideal way though. I understand what you're saying here though.
7.Not taking it personal at all lol. Put the restricted pictures and videos in the protected app such as Unit Converter. If you have these files on your phone you need to take the time to use some sort of protection that is available through apps in the store or take the risk.
8. I hear about people with bad battery life so yes I guess I am lucky. You also need to take into consideration that it is currently a "developer preview" and also does not have the firmware from the manufacturer that will likely help with many of these issues.

I agree that Microsoft has a ways to go before Windows Phone will be as on par with other mobile operating systems in some areas. My mistake on the 920 only having 16GB of internal storage, I had it mixed up with the 925 (Vodafone version has 32GB though).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786