How do I get wifi to override my mobile carriers data when in range of wifi connections?

ncinsguy

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Cricket and Lumia 1320 Data Usage

Please let me know if this is true or not. I switched to Cricket from Virgin Mobile so I could go back to Windows with the 1320. In my 1st month with them I went over my 2.5 GB of data with about a week left in the month. In five years with VM I can count on one hand the times I went over 1.5 GB with them. Checking my data usage on Cricket's website I see 1-3 entries per day detailing my usage, some with very large amounts of data. Cricket CS tells me that my device uses their network first and Wi-Fi 2nd. So in other words when I'm at home and connected to my home wi-fi the device will use Cricket's data even though it's connected to my Wifi. To fix this they told me I have to manually disable data from their network when I don't want to use it. Now this makes no sense to me since the 3 Android phones I've had did not do this once I connected to Wi-Fi the carrier's data was disabled. I think there must be a setting on the phone that must wrong that is keeping this from happening other that what Cricket CS told me. The way they explained it to me Wi-fi is useless because their data would be used regardless if it's connect or not. Can someone please enlighten me on this subject?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Cricket and Lumia 1320 Data Usage

What? Windows Phone prioritizes Wi-Fi data over cellular data, unless your Wi-Fi signal is extremely weak or doesn't throw internet access at you at all.

Try going into settings>cellular+SIM then toggling "don't use cellular data" under "For limited Wi-Fi connectivity."

Take not that I'm assuming you're on 8.1.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

WP does tend to use a bit of data to get set up initially. It will be interesting to see what month 2 brings.
I have a 1020 on cricket and my data usage matched my T-Mobile usage from before the switch pretty much. I haven't seen any surprises.

ncinsguy

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I'm using Windows 8, no cyan update yet. Most of the time I'm connected to Wifi either at home or my office. There are entries in the list at 6am for 200 mb or more and I was asleep at that time and at home connected to wifi.

Last edited:

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

If you have it you would find it in settings.
I know ATT disabled the feature on their phones, I don't know if that policy extended to their cricket branded handsets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise