So who want's Nokia's Phablet?

philsound71

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm really interested in the 1520, but more than anything, this is going to be one of those - get your hands on it before you buy it - situations. Going from 4.5" to 6" is definitely going to be a change - hopefully for the better :)

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Nice to see you here once again. :)

LOL thanks, work keeps me busy these days. A large US carrier started getting their prototypes about a month ago (this usually means the device is in carrier lab for carrier testing) and I was not able to check one out in person until last week. I also got to briefly check out the Nokia RT tablet before he had to put it away. The 1520 and the tablet both look like giant 925 in regard to design cue & styling, but you guys already know that from the pics. :)

(IMO, the tablet feels nice in regard to size, I'd say nicer than my Surface RT tablet, but it left me scratching my head why RT and not 32-bit Windows 8 like the Acer W3)

Hi Michael-Dallas,

You're one of the first outsiders to experience the 1520. Besides the feeling of "hugeness" can you give us any more feedback? How was the weight? Is it lighter than the 920? Anything else stand out like it's thin-ness, etc?

Thanks from all of us

It had a rubber cover around it, but it still felt lighter than my 920. I was told this was most likely due to not having the wifi charging coil like on the 920. Even w/ the rubber cover, it was a mm thicker (so it's slightly thinner naked). Eyeballing the height and width - it's about 1.75 inches taller and 0.75" wider.

I haven't been keeping up w/ the upcoming flavors and changes to WP8, so I didn't quite look for any specific changes in the OS. The display is 1920x1080 and the camera is 21mp (16 + 5), but you guys probably already know this. I forgot to check to see if tiles could be sized to the full width of the display, but I asked afterwards and was told no. It looks like Nokia is going w/ the 925 style w/ their upcoming stuff, so I usually like to check out the physical dimensions and weight over OS changes.

Hope this helps.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I wanted this phone until I held the Galaxy Mega. Its just too big, and I have rather large hands. I really suggest anyone who has never held a phone this big and is interested in this device, go hold a 6" phone. Its much closer to the size of my 7" tablet than I thought.

Now, had I known about the 929 before I bought my 1020, I'd have probably waited for that sucker! Oh well, I have no regrets with this 1020.

jbyron

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
This is the phone I've been waiting for! I've had my Focus S (such a great phone experience, I'm going to be sad to let it go) for an amazing 23 months now, and this has everything I've wanted in a phone. Great cam, big screen, and thin body.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I wanted this phone until I held the Galaxy Mega. Its just too big, and I have rather large hands. I really suggest anyone who has never held a phone this big and is interested in this device, go hold a 6" phone. Its much closer to the size of my 7" tablet than I thought.

Now, had I known about the 929 before I bought my 1020, I'd have probably waited for that sucker! Oh well, I have no regrets with this 1020.
To be fair, the Galaxy Mega is 6.3 inches not 6".

Acejax805

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I am looking forward to this device. Have been using a 521 on Tmobile and have enjoyed it a lot. I would really enjoy a bigger screen (have always had Note 2 envy) and this device may be the one that pushes me over the edge.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I sold my 1020 and purchased a used 8x in anticipation of the 1520. So, yes I do want it.

Interesting side note: I absolutely love the size of the 8x, which completely contradicts my original intentions. I had a Lumia 800, and since then forgotten how much I enjoy a smaller phone for casual use. I was going to sell the 8x once I got the 1520, but I'll probably keep both now. I would love to see Nokia make a small, thin, high end phone.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes definitely. It is looking to be everything the press and people want from windows phone. No one ever did question the design or quality of Nokia windows phones, but with specs which actual rival some top android phablets, this may be Nokia's break into mass market share....maybe. Put it this way it gives the likes of android fans less ammo to shot at WP's for poor specs and lack of full HD displays.

I just long to experience the performance of a windows phone 8 with a dual core CPU on a 6 inch full HD display. I am getting one as soon as it becomes available. One thing that im not so sure on is price. People are saying, think HTC One Max, Sony Xperia Ultra prices but Nokia phones for some reason seam a little more expensive than their android rivals.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
People are saying, think HTC One Max, Sony Xperia Ultra prices but Nokia phones for some reason seam a little more expensive than their android rivals.

Depends where you live. They have so far been quite aggressive with their flagship subsided prices in US, taking away the Nokia box, in-ear headphones and in just general pushing the price down.
In Europe Nokia flagships are usually as expensive as the equivalent Samsung or slightly more, though naturally cheaper than iPhone.

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 1520 price and promotional material leaks in China. The price of the device is confirmed at 4999 Yuan (around $820) with a 99 Yuan booking fee.

WPDang_1520-21.jpg

WPDang_1520-1.jpg

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, 599€ would be just slightly cheaper than I expected. Slightly cheaper than for what Note 3 is selling across Europe. Though converted prices don't mean much.
Comparing it to other Lumias prices being sold by this same store and then to EU prices would be interesting.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I was initially on the fence about getting a phablet.

But I held a Huawei Ascend Mate 6.1 a few months ago and decided that a phablet is the way to go!!!
I do not like the Android UI though, fortunately Nokia came in and announced this beauty.

I'm just not a fan of the number. 1520? Seriously?

peacock93

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Just waiting on AT&T to announce their Preorder for the 1520. They have it on their website but it just has a email sign up to let you know when it will be available.

Junaid96

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte