Supposedly a quad core with 1080p display?!

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey Everybody

So the rumour I heard it will be a Snapdragon 800 SoC which will be quad core (personally dual core would be fine with me) and 1080p display no word if it going to be amoled or IPS.

I would expect an improved GPU no model has been mentioned I suspect it will be the adreno 330?

Any other internal parts or changes from my list post below?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I would expect an improved GPU no model has been mentioned I suspect it will be the adreno 330?

If the 'Bandit' were to include a Snapdragon 800 (which is a SoC, meaning it includes a GPU), then the GPU can be nothing other than an Adreno 330! However, the 'Bandit' will not include a Snapdragon 800, so the GPU will be something else too.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
If the 'Bandit' were to include a Snapdragon 800 (which is a SoC, meaning it includes a GPU), then the GPU can be nothing other than an Adreno 330! However, the 'Bandit' will not include a Snapdragon 800, so the GPU will be something else too.

Do you think it will be a snapdragon 600 instead?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Do you think it will be a snapdragon 600 instead?

I know only some of the SoCs that can be ruled out. I don't know which SoC it will be, but if I had to guess, I'd say a Snapdragon 600. However, that still isn't saying much, as the 600 series includes a dozen different SoCs with very different capabilities.

I am expecting Nokia's Windows RT tablet to come with a Snapdragon 800 SoC though.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

Has it been announced that it won't be the 800? In the article about AdDuplex spotting a number of SoCs, the 600 wasn't spotted. Just curious as most sources link the 800 to the bandit and not the 600.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't aware of any rumors saying that it definitely wasn't the 800.

And while the SOC technically says it supports up to 21 mpx, keep in mind that Nokia currently has a 41 mpx sensor in the 1020, which just has a Snapdragon S4. They've got magic fairy dust. So I would hope that they would put a 41 mpx sensor in there. (yes, I know all the rumors say otherwise)

I also hope that at 6" it would come with a pressure sensitive stylus.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Has it been announced that it won't be the 800?

I have no idea what has or has not been heard through the grapevine. I'm going based on the information I get at work. What I don't know with certainty is which device this 'bandit' really is (it is just a code name). I'm assuming Nokia is releasing only one phablet this year and that this is the 'bandit', in which case it will not have an 800 series SoC.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea what has or has not been heard through the grapevine. I'm going based on the information I get at work.

Interesting. I apologize if you have mentioned it elsewhere, but how does your job make you privy to this type of information?

I think from a cost-benefit standpoint, it would make sense for Nokia to put the 400 or 600 in the 'Bandit'. From a marketing standpoint I believe it is foolish. I don't believe specs are the end all of a successful device, but it seems to many people and sites/reviewers it is relevant. With the Note 3, the Xperia Z Ultra, LG G2, and possibly the HTC One Max coming this fall with some pretty high end specs, Nokia needs a high end device to compete. Not in performance, but in perception.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ agree with all of that. Thing is, MS/Nokia have no intention to compete on specs. Despite all these years of evidence to the contrary, people just still expect them to, presumably because they can't imagine why MS/Nokia shouldn't. The brainwashing caused by Android OEMs, who use the spec sheet as their primary marketing instrument, is certainly also to blame.

Anyway, I work for a large European carrier.

We will get WP devices with 400 Series SoCs (I hope it won't be the quad core variants, as they are very poor), but if one pops up in a WP phablet, then it won't be a 1080p device.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
If that's the case, I'd rather get a 1020.

MSM8960 on Lumia 1020 only supports 21MP on paper...
This SoC is WAY more powerful, especially on GPU side.

Anyways, all of the press releases and talk in the forums was when S800 was released that it supported 55MP. S800 isn't exactly new as it's inside countless of devices already.
New quad-core Snapdragon supports 55-megapixel images, Ultra HD | Ars Technica
Qualcomm Launches Flagship Snapdragon 800 Processor

Snapdragon (system on chip) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think from a cost-benefit standpoint, it would make sense for Nokia to put the 400 or 600 in the 'Bandit'. From a marketing standpoint I believe it is foolish. I don't believe specs are the end all of a successful device, but it seems to many people and sites/reviewers it is relevant. With the Note 3, the Xperia Z Ultra, LG G2, and possibly the HTC One Max coming this fall with some pretty high end specs, Nokia needs a high end device to compete. Not in performance, but in perception.

S400 + 1080p wont be a combo you want. It will be Snapdragon 600 or 800.
Lets remember once again that you will no doubt see phablets between bandit and Lumia 625. Device releases wont just suddenly stop after bandit, especially when we are talking about Nokia.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
S800 isn't exactly new as it's inside countless of devices already.

I can count the devices using an 800 series SoC using just my own fingers and no more than two hands, so I wouldn't say countless. ;-)

Anyway, the question has nothing to do with how new a SoC is. The question is how MS can support newer hardware without introducing too much fragmentation.

Basically, MS will take a large chunk of the available SoCs and cross them off the list of supported hardware. Supporting some individual SKUs that are part of the 400 series is straight forward, as they are basically the same thing we have in current WP handsets, just rebranded and sold under a different name (this doesn't add to fragmentation). Supporting SoCs from the 600 and 800 series will add to fragmentation, but the question remains how many of them WP will support and how much fragmentation that will add to the ecosystem.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I can count the devices using an 800 series SoC using just my own fingers and no more than two hands, so I wouldn't say countless. ;-)

Anyway, the question has nothing to do with how new a SoC is. The question is how MS can support newer hardware without introducing too much fragmentation.

Basically, MS will take a large chunk of the available SoCs and cross them off the list of supported hardware. Supporting some individual SKUs that are part of the 400 series is straight forward, as they are basically the same thing we have in current WP handsets, just rebranded and sold under a different name (this doesn't add to fragmentation). Supporting SoCs from the 600 and 800 series will add to fragmentation, but the question remains how many of them WP will support and how much fragmentation that will add to the ecosystem.

I like your first paragraph alot I think there only one device with the 800 and that the SONY Xperia Ultra (I don't even think it out yet?).
At least it wont be as bad as android fragmentation that a minefield!

dragonking1

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I like your first paragraph alot I think there only one device with the 800 and that the SONY Xperia Ultra (I don't even think it out yet?).

At least it wont be as bad as android fragmentation that a minefield!

Xperia Ultra, LG G2 and Galaxy S4 LTE-A. I think thats all of them.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Just three for now that a surprise, I actually thought there was more out.

Well, the G2 isn't available yet, so that leaves two (don't know about Sony's device and Samsung's is only available in Korea). Obviously, more will come. None of them are expected to be huge sellers though, except for the Note 3, due more to being a Samsung Phablet than due to the SoC.

From a purely technical perspective, it would be best for WP to standardize on the Snapdragon 800 and 400 series, while omitting support for the 600 series. That introduces the lowest amount of fragmentation and benefits consumers by making the difference between high- and mid range WP devices more meaningful than it is now.

So, I'm hoping my info on the bandit is wrong and the rumors about the 800 are right, and that the 600 series is skipped in the interest of keeping fragmentation low.

AlexOwliver

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Anandtech's mini-review of the G2 claims that battery life with the 800 is in another league over the 600 - essentially the 600 was a fast chip without any shrinks/support and the 800 really juices the new low-power HPM process from TSMC. I'd love to see Nokia/Microsoft skip over 600 support entirely and head straight to 800 if that's the case. We WP8 fans could have our cake and eat it - great power without the dip in battery life suffered by the Android early adopters.

It wouldn't be a post on the forum these days without a little bashing, so I'll also say that since it's taken Microsoft a year to add support for new chips, I'd like to see the 800s if only so we're not this far behind again in another year when they remember technology advances and try and catch up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven