Who's NOT happy with the screen size?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, the specs on this phone are amazing. 1080p, quad core, GDR3, amazing camera, and so much more. But what's stopping me from getting this is the screen size. This is WAY too big for me. Even the first Note, 5.3 inches, was too big. The biggest I'll go is 5 inches. I am pretty sure Nokia will make a GDR3 phone, still amazing specs, but with a smaller display.

How do you guys feel? Is it too big? Or are the specs just so good that you have to get it? Let me know what you think.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
This phone is specifically designed to compete in the phablet market. If you want the same specs but small screen size, then wait for the other GDR3+ phones to be released.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
This phone is specifically designed to compete in the phablet market. If you want the same specs but small screen size, then wait for the other GDR3+ phones to be released.

Yes, I know that. But in my opinion, they should make a Note 2 sized phone as well to compete in the phablet market.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I kind of agree with you on that. I have no interest in a "phablet". The 920 is 4.5 in and I think that is just a tad big. In my experience 4.3 is the sweet spot regarding one thumb use. That being said there are quite a few people that dig the tablet with a phone. I'm glad Nokia is pushing forward. They're pushing thing out left and right. I like it.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
If they made it 5", then it would be more of a GS4 competitor than a phablet.

Anyway, I do feel like the screen is too large, but because of the name "1520," I'm guessing there might be smaller versions that will sit in between the 920 and the 1520.

From the looks of it, sounds like you'd be more interested in a successor to the 920, which is probably what I want too, but it doesn't feel like Nokia will be releasing any other devices this year--just the 1520 and the RT tablet. I say this because of how WP 8.1 is rumored to come in 2014. Nokia will probably want a high-end phone to launch alongside 8.1, so I feel like a 920 successor would be it.

However, I don't think I can wait until next year, so I'll probably end up with the 1520, unless I can't fit it in my pocket or something.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Where does it end? Forget an OtterBox, pretty soon we'll have tablets in our pockets and phones in our bags & briefcases.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I like large screen sizes but if the phone isn't designed well then I might not buy it. It needs to be able to fit into pockets! I've read reviews of the Xperia Z Ultra saying that it's way to big and isn't at all comfortable when in your pocket. If it isn't comfortable to use people won't like it.

So yeah I'm a little worried that this screen will be too big for most people. Even for phablet lovers it might be too big.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I remember when a phone with a 5 inch screen was considered a phablet. Dell Streak anyone? Even the original note was only 5.3. Funny how quick things change. For me personally, I still consider 5 and above a phablet but I guess the GS4 changed most people's definition of what a phablet is. For me 5 inches would be perfect. Had a Streak, then a Note. I like 5 inches. I also however, like the fact that it seems we are finally really going to get multiple screen sizes across the platform.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree, it's too big IMO! I think they should have released a "normal" sized phone with those specs before this, because everyone who can afford it wants those specs, but not everyone wants a that big phone, so I think they should sell better if they release a normal sized one first, and this one later :smile:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I think what was the factor that made Nokia go first this devie is its main markets in Asia where the smartphone growth comes mainly from phablets. China that is world largest smartphone market is crazy for phablets and India saw 30% of its smartphon growth from phablets.

I'm personally still not sure to get it or not. Naturally its a bit too erly to say much as all we have is speculation for one or two suppoed pics of the device that hardly tell much.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I remember when a phone with a 5 inch screen was considered a phablet. Dell Streak anyone? Even the original note was only 5.3. Funny how quick things change. For me personally, I still consider 5 and above a phablet but I guess the GS4 changed most people's definition of what a phablet is. For me 5 inches would be perfect. Had a Streak, then a Note. I like 5 inches. I also however, like the fact that it seems we are finally really going to get multiple screen sizes across the platform.

I much prefer the LG G2 form factor. The size is almost the same as the Galaxy S4 (H: 5.45 VS 5.38; W: 2.79 VS 2.75; T: 0.35 VS 0.31) but it has a 5.2" instead of a 5" screen. Would love to see a Lumia with this screen size and these dimensions!

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I would say that the screen size is likely too large for most. However, within the phablet niche, I believe it to be competitive.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
One of my coworkers is anxiously awaiting this to be released so he can move away from a Note 2.

I think any phablet is too big, just the same as another coworker thinks the Lumia 920/1020 is too big and wants a smaller display.

I guess that's why Apple's one size fits all approach never works out long term, and why these debates are kinda pointless.

Each user is going to want something and settle for the closest match. Personally, I'm glad this option is coming, because it convinced someone to switch platforms.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure there is demand for this, personally I wouldn't even consider a phone of this size, but I definitely think they should carry on with this phone, cos what I want doesn't equal what the market wants anyways :p

Dragone

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
People not interested in phablets clearly shouldn't buy lumia 1520. Im interested in this product because of its screen size.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Until someone comes out with a modular phone, which allows you to pick and chose your own components, there's always going to be someone that's unhappy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12