No Stylus = DOA?

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I did a little market research on phablets. I say little, but maybe I should have said limited, because I only talked to 3 people: the 3 that I know who own a huge Galaxy. To a man, they all said the biggest benefit of using it, besides the enormous screen, was the stylus. When I asked if they would buy one again without the stylus, again it was complete agreement: no. I know this new device is a niche product, but I hope Nokia isn't backing themselves into a corner here.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
LOL! I don't think a Stylus will make it DOA. I use a stylus on my phone due to big hands and fingers. I can pick up a stylus for anywhere from $5 to $15.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
With a Phablet, I would prefer something with a stylus. Something that really can write thin lines for note taking.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I did a little market research on phablets. I say little, but maybe I should have said limited, because I only talked to 3 people: the 3 that I know who own a huge Galaxy. To a man, they all said the biggest benefit of using it, besides the enormous screen, was the stylus. When I asked if they would buy one again without the stylus, again it was complete agreement: no. I know this new device is a niche product, but I hope Nokia isn't backing themselves into a corner here.

I got a feeling there wont be support for active stylus. Like there wasn't on RT and I believe still isn't. That's all kind of madness if you ask me.
Personally huge user of stylus on tablets because of my studies alone, but not the kind of guy who would use stylus on a phone. Though I can see the value of it for many. I would like to see Note like multitasking on such a screen. Unfortunately again, I don't think MS will deliver that.

LOL! I don't think a Stylus will make it DOA. I use a stylus on my phone due to big hands and fingers. I can pick up a stylus for anywhere from $5 to $15.

Active stylus and just a stylus are two totally different thing. Passive stylus is just a stick. Active stylus blocks touch input as you bring the pen close enough, worlds of better responsiveness, buttons, hover modes etc etc. Active stylus needs hardware for the tablet and pen.
Wacom is the best around. Samsung's Spen uses modified wacom hardware and software.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Plus, there's a difference between a stylus in your pocket, and a stylus docked in the phablet iteslf.

BTW, I do with there was a different name, something about "phablet" strikes me as cheesy.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Is everything old new again? With all the talk about having a stylus, I think of Palm Pilots from 13 years ago.

Stylus' ruled the world, touch screens kill mobile stylus, stylus' rise from the ashes in 2013/14.

Sam Not Spam

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Does Windows RT lack support for active digitizers? Or is it nobody has made an RT tablet with a digitizer, opting to put into higher priced x86/Windows 8 tablets?

Im not sure what I think in this case. Sounds nice, bit after years of typing my handwriting is slow and looks terrible. Only thing id want it for is to doodle/sketch.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I doubt I'm in the majority here, but for me, yes that makes it DOA. If I get a bigger phone, I want to be more productive with it, and OneNote with a pen (just like my Surface Pro) would do that for me.

In every other way, Windows Phone is too limited to take enough advantage of the size, as far as I'm concerned. In other words, it's not going to do any more that I can't already do on my Lumia 920.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If the Surface 2 had a pen, I would have already bought it

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I doubt I'm in the majority here, but for me, yes that makes it DOA. If I get a bigger phone, I want to be more productive with it, and OneNote with a pen (just like my Surface Pro) would do that for me.

In every other way, Windows Phone is too limited to take enough advantage of the size, as far as I'm concerned. In other words, it's not going to do any more that I can't already do on my Lumia 920.

The Lumia 920 has a 4.5" screen right? The biggest screen on any Palm was 3.8" and the biggest WinMo PDA was 4". With the handwriting recognition of either platform, note-taking was a breeze. With the advances made in the last 6 or 7 years, I can see PDF annotation, highlighting text and a number of other things we do on a daily basis. Best of all, we save the document on SkyDrive and do whatever we want from our desktops. I would be happy if MS would just bring a mobile version of Windows Journal to market. Game over.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Does Windows RT lack support for active digitizers? Or is it nobody has made an RT tablet with a digitizer, opting to put into higher priced x86/Windows 8 tablets?

Im not sure what I think in this case. Sounds nice, bit after years of typing my handwriting is slow and looks terrible. Only thing id want it for is to doodle/sketch.

Nothing stopping anyone, to my knowledge, it's just that Microsoft is the only real maker of RT tablets anymore, and they deserve the pen as a privilege for Pro users.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The decision to exclude a stylus is a peculiar one, most peculiar indeed. I don't think that means it's DoA, but it will be a touch sell. More of a niche market than even the 1020.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
It seems that all of Nokia's higher end phones are niche products. I can't think of one high end Nokia WP8 product that doesn't present a trade off of some sort.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully the Lumia 1520 will have built-in Wireless charging. IMO, wireless charging will set the 1520 apart from the other phablets.

According to the most recent information, the US version will not have built-in wireless charging. It will have the connectors, but it looks like we will need to purchase shells like we do with the 925 and 1020. The international version, on the other hand, should have it built-in without the need for a shell. We'll see when the devices are closer to release.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
According to the most recent information, the US version will not have built-in wireless charging. It will have the connectors, but it looks like we will need to purchase shells like we do with the 925 and 1020. The international version, on the other hand, should have it built-in without the need for a shell. We'll see when the devices are closer to release.

I really hope that's not true. No wireless charging at this point will probably be a deal breaker for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99