No Stylus = DOA?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
It seems that all of Nokia's higher end phones are niche products. I can't think of one high end Nokia WP8 product that doesn't present a trade off of some sort.

Yeah, it's becoming annoying. Nokia makes great phones, but each one is hobbled by a trade of some sort. Really pushing its costumers buttons, it won't be able to get by with this strategy for much longer. 😐

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
buy one, its not that difficult! Problem solved

That's a half *** solution, you dint get the benefits of an active stylus, and it also means that they won't he rallying behind a stylus and including software to optimize the experience.

And where are you going to keep that thing? Granted, the Surface Pro's stylus storage still isn't optimal, bur at least it's something.

BDBDBD

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't think we'll see an active stylus in WP8.* for quite awhile. Quite sure the code base to support handwriting is just not there. Don't think even Windows RT (which is "more powerful") than WP8 supports full active stylus capabilities. Additionally, we'd already be hearing "chatter" about new upcoming features. I haven't even heard once of any rumor or hint of stylus capability on the horizon.

As an active OneNote user, I'd more than anyone, love to see see a Wacom-type digitizer on a Windows phone. Afraid we'll have to wait just a bit longer. Perhaps with Microsoft's reorganization and their unifying of codebases, we may see some progress in the future, but for now we're all stuck with a simple touchscreen.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Don't think even Windows RT (which is "more powerful") than WP8 supports full active stylus capabilities.

The handwriting recognition engine is in fact present in Windows RT; the only potential problem would be drivers to interface with a digitizer. There is even something in the hardware requirements about pen requirements that mentions Windows RT, so it seems like if the drivers were made, it would be possible:

[h=3]Device.Digitizer.Pen.100HzSampleRate[/h]100Hz Sample Rate
[h=3][/h]
Target Feature
Device.Digitizer.Pen
Applies to
Windows 8 Client x86, x64, ARM (Windows RT)
Windows 8.1 Client x86, x64, ARM (Windows RT 8.1)
Description
The pen digitizer will have a sample rate of at least 100Hz.

Device.Digitizer Requirements

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
According to the most recent information, the US version will not have built-in wireless charging. It will have the connectors, but it looks like we will need to purchase shells like we do with the 925 and 1020. The international version, on the other hand, should have it built-in without the need for a shell. We'll see when the devices are closer to release.

I hope this isn't true, No stylus, on At&t exclusively, and no wireless charging for American variants? Ugh At&t and Microkia is ruining this phablet for me. More & more by the day, I am being swayed toward the 929.

BDBDBD

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Interesting to know that Windows RT has digitizer support. I own a Lenovo Tablet 2 with Windows 8.1 Pro on it (via TechNet). It's got a decent stylus and also has OneNote 2013 and also OneNote Metro. OneNote Metro is much more limited than the 2013 version. I assume Windows Phone would get a similar version of OneNote (OneNote Metro) but again I haven't heard a whisper of a new version of Office for Windows Phone coming soon.

In other words, even if Microsoft/Nokia did include a stylus, I don't think there would be any applications to support it. Hopefully we'll hear about some pleasant surprises in the near future.

Joe Newton

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
No Stylus, handwriting recognition, and pen-enabled apps such as One Note, makes these up-coming phones from Nokia less compelling for me.

I read somewhere that the Nokia phones have the Wacom digitizer built-in and that any pen, stylus, could be used. I read something similar about the Sony Xperia series. But it is certainly not true for my Lumia 822. At least none of the drawing or painting apps recognize any stylus I have tried except the capacitive touch stylii.

I'm awfully tempted by the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, S-Pen amd S-Apps and Polaris Office.

Really want to find an effective stylus handwriting recognition phablet office workflow.

Last edited:

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that the Nokia phones have the Wacom digitizer built-in and that any pen, stylus, could be used. I read something similar about the Sony Xperia series.

You might be thinking of the Nokia phones' super sensitive capacitive screen which lets you use almost any conductive object as a stylus, so it can be a nice pointy metal one instead of the usual stubby foam blob. The Samsung C-Pen works very well too.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I agree that the stylus is not a DOA per se. I think the experience will be great, productive, intuitive and ergonomic for me even without a stylus for this big smartphone. I think, however the story on the 2520 tablet is different and should have had a wacom stylus support.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I did a little market research on phablets. I say little, but maybe I should have said limited, because I only talked to 3 people: the 3 that I know who own a huge Galaxy. To a man, they all said the biggest benefit of using it, besides the enormous screen, was the stylus. When I asked if they would buy one again without the stylus, again it was complete agreement: no. I know this new device is a niche product, but I hope Nokia isn't backing themselves into a corner here.

doesnt make it DOA to me. i never used a stylus and i dont do productivity on my phone so it's a useless feature to me.

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Haha, stylus' (stylii?) were played out back in the windows mobile days. They were a punchline. These new ones are frivolous marketing, nothing more. They add zero functionality.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
You can always buy a stylus since the screen is super sensitive. If you don't have a stylus, just use a fork...or a nail.

iAdrian23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Some of you are just like my friend at school. He was always talking how handy does the stylus come on his Note2. He barely even uses and when he does, it's just for the sake of pen nothing else.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I was just going by the only people I know who own a phablet. Their main reason is the added functionality of the stylus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett