Really At&t?

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
If you have not heard, the At&t version of the 1520 WILL NOT HAVE wireless charging built in like the international 1520 & The 929. So, WPC, what are your thoughts of this move? Does this change you mind on purchasing the 1520? Is this Swaying you toward the 929 or 1020? Do you even care or this is not a big deal to you? Not a fan of wireless charging?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure this is really a big deal. Nokia has made this choice with the 925, 928, 929, 1020 and now 1520. No doubt there will be a charging cover you could use with it to bring the wireless functionality in.

Personally I like the route they went with the 920 having everything built in for convenience but look at the media exaggeration of the resulting bulk. This is really the only thing they can do.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure this is really a big deal. Nokia has made this choice with the 925, 928, 929, 1020 and now 1520. No doubt there will be a charging cover you could use with it to bring the wireless functionality in.

Personally I like the route they went with the 920 having everything built in for convenience but look at the media exaggeration of the resulting bulk. This is really the only thing they can do.
But, I don't think it'll come with a significant reduction in weight.

Well, that aside, the 928 has wireless charging built in, and it's actually 30 g lighter than the 920! What are you trying to imply, then?

Gurggles

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
It costs less in the manufacturing to not include it. Then people who want it will buy the cover and now they get the accessory profit too. After how the community reacted to the heft of the 920, I think this is a better route.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure wireless charging adds any noticeable size or weight to the device. Have you seen the video of the hack for the galaxy phones for wireless charging? It's a few wires. And think about the 8x. No difference in size or weight in the AT&T and Verizon versions.

tyrnosarusAWSOM

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Verizon and Nokia are part of the Qi wireless consortium. AT&T is not, they support PMA (Power Matters Alliance). AT&T will not sell a device with a competing technology. It has nothing to do with weight, cost, thinness, etc.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Verizon and Nokia are part of the Qi wireless consortium. AT&T is not, they support PMA (Power Matters Alliance). AT&T will not sell a device with a competing technology. It has nothing to do with weight, cost, thinness, etc.

Very Wrong. For example: Optimus G Pro came out this May or so with Qi wireless support. AT&T joined PMA in 2012.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
After having the 920, I'm not sure I want a phone without wireless charging built-in. While I typically don't use cases, getting one that fits a phone with a wireless charging add on connected would be pretty hard.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
If you have not heard, the At&t version of the 1520 WILL NOT HAVE wireless charging built in like the international 1520 & The 929. So, WPC, what are your thoughts of this move? Does this change you mind on purchasing the 1520? Is this Swaying you toward the 929 or 1020? Do you even care or this is not a big deal to you? Not a fan of wireless charging?

To answer my own question. Yes, this move by At&t (If true) is swaying me toward the 929. I was (still kinda am) looking forward to the 1520. For two years I was enticing people to the idea that Microsoft & Nokia should make a phablet WP8 phone. And when Microsoft finally makes one, At&t decides to take away build-in Qi wireless charging, A feature the international 1520 & 929 will have. A feature, besides a stylist & metal build, that I always wanted in a WP8 phablet. Also a feature that will separate the 1520 from the other phablets. Why At&t, Why? I hope they will lower the price of the At&t 1520. Who I am kidding, this is At&t I am talking about here. They will probably charge the same price for this as the international 1520 or even more.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I got a feeling Nokia and AT&T are trying to hit a certain price tag there. After all none of the phones in US get the actual Nokia boxes and Nokia's pretty nice in-ear headphones.

Lumia 1520 on hardware price with that camera sensor (possible OIS) and larger battery, screen will very likely be more expensive for Nokia to make than Note 3 for Samsung. Here in Europe the phone will no doubt be 699 euros, like Note 3 and I would not be surprised if it was even a bit more. I wonder will they try to slightly undercut Note 3 in North America's operator controlled market.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, Well, Well, what do you know. I am actually right.

ZOMG! You were correct on web forum! Your life is complete. You can die a happy man. lol Okay Nostradamus got a twitter account I can follow so, I'm well informed all the time? :wink: All this correctness and you couldn't manage to spell pseudo properly for your username? lol

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
ZOMG! You were correct on web forum!
Of course, but don't be down on yourself! The best of us must sometimes eat our words. ― J.K. Rowling

Okay Nostradamus got a twitter account I can follow so, I'm well informed all the time?
I do not own a twitter account . But who need a twitter account, when you can follow me here?

All this correctness and you couldn't manage to spell pseudo properly for your username? lol
Yeah, I know, I spelled pseudo wrong. Spellcheck told me this in July. Didn't care to correct it, then or now though, still decided to use psudo instead of pseudo. Thanks you for caring, though. :excited:

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
How am I eating my words? I didn't make any statements about the 1520 details. I just asked you what your source was? ;) You're welcome for the caring. Please come to me with any issues in the future my friend. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo