Why did Nokia went one step back with Lumia 1520

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
while there might not be AMOLED tv's, there are OLED tv's which is pretty close to AMOLED. LG 55EM960V Television - This 55" OLED TV is an eco-friendly revolution in picture quality and ultra slim design - LG Electronics UK

can you show me where lcd's consume less energy? i have always thought amoled's do because the black is actually turned off pixels that are not drawing any power when they are black.

samsung is the leader in amoled tech. their note 3 doesnt even have a 6 inch amoled screen. so they were not going to make a screen for nokia that would outdo their new flagship as far as amoled goes.

Samsung do not manufacture displays for Nokia, Nokia use Pentax or some other manufacturer. AMOLED technology wasn't found by Samsung and they do not own any rights to the technology.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Samsung do not manufacture displays for Nokia, Nokia use Pentax or some other manufacturer. AMOLED technology wasn't found by Samsung and they do not own any rights to the technology.

i didnt say samsung makes displays for nokia, in fact i said they wouldnt. while amoled wasnt invented by samsung, they are the largest manufacturer of amoled displays.

"By 2004 Samsung, South Korea's largest conglomerate, was the world's largest OLED manufacturer, producing 40% of the OLED displays made in the world,[SUP][96][/SUP] and as of 2010 has a 98% share of the global AMOLED market.[SUP][97][/SUP] The company is leading the world of OLED industry, generating $100.2 million out of the total $475 million revenues in the global OLED market in 2006.[SUP][98][/SUP] As of 2006, it held more than 600 American patents and more than 2800 international patents, making it the largest owner of AMOLED technology patents."

which was my point of samsung will not make a 6 inch amoled display for nokia because of competition. they dont want all the nokia display tech added to their amoled display at 6 inches to out do their own note 3 5.7 inch amoled display. ironically, the LCD display they used in the lumia 1520 has already out done the note 3's display.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs7wXcdhdu0

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
How tough is Corning? Gorilla? Glass 2? Corning puts it to the test.
How tough is Corning Gorilla Glass 2? I'll tell you. In the first hour of using my 8X, the screen became more scratched up than my Omnia 7 was over two years. I operated it no different than my Omnia 7, I used my fingers and slipped it in and out of my pocket.

Who cares what machines they put it under when they can't account for ordinary wear-and-tear.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
How tough is Corning Gorilla Glass 2? I'll tell you. In the first hour of using my 8X, the screen became more scratched up than my Omnia 7 was over two years. I operated it no different than my Omnia 7, I used my fingers and slipped it in and out of my pocket.

Who cares what machines they put it under when they can't account for ordinary wear-and-tear.

Why do you line your pockets with sandpaper and wear steel wool gloves?

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

I know that GG2 is more prone to scratches than GG1 and many users on the internet have debated about this based on their personal experience but GG2 is still as strong as GG1 despite being thinner than GG1. The thinness accounts for brighter images and and enhanced touch sensitivity which Nokia implemented very well so you can still use your touchscreen phones while wearing gloves.

Bob Box

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I wanted this phone so bad and att just killed it

If AT&T offers their version of the 1520 for $99, okay. As the cost to Nokia of the extra 16GB flash and the Qi circuit is less than $5, Nokia could have subsidized AT&T to offer the full spec 1520 for less than what they spent on that huge vapor launch in Abu Dhabi.

With no shipping product, no availability dates, no prices, etc., throwing that huge bash in Abu Dhabi just seems like a crass tasteless joke, a last bit of puffery for that buffoon, Elop.

It makes me laugh to hear that Elop is being considered for CEO of Microsoft. Elop can't even ship a phone without making a mess of it. Microsoft would crash and burn with a dolt like Elop at the helm.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Your anger should be 100% directed to AT&T, not Nokia. If AT&T orders a phone a certain way, what is Nokia supposed to do? Are they in a position to turn down a big carrier like AT&T? How is this Elop's fault?

Mars2003

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
LCD has the full array of sub-pixels, that to me is better than the 1/3 missing as seen in AMOLED screens. As for GG3 v GG2, well I couldn't care less. In short there is no backwards step here, only big steps forward again.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
That's a good thing, though! IPS LCD>>>>>>>>>>>>AMOLED IMO!

Not on my 1520! The phone is stuck on ultra bright and has very uneven lighting!

35i4205.jpg

rhamblet

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I have a theory on the gorilla glass 2 vs 3, perhaps its because of the way the glass is raised around the edges, and GG3 would be too thin so you couldn't have the raised above the polycarbonite and smoothed corners that the 1520, 920 have

Deadbluesky666

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you for the gorilla glass 3 but not for the amoled, LCD is a way better first for his lifetime and a lot less expensive, i repair Samsung Amoled for a while and there no difference on the images quality in 1080p, and the cost of an old Galaxy S3 is like (they are now at the S6) is $70 to $80, the Note 2 is still really old but the Amoled cost $120 to $130 and a LCD on a LG G2 is $60, for a Nexus 5 its $40.... and i can name a lot more !!! What i hate is to tell the cost of their Samsung to a client for the replacement !! I drop my Lumia 1520 like 50 times and never break the screen and i use only a slim Nillkin or my Amzer pudding !!! All those price are in CAD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers