Why did Nokia went one step back with Lumia 1520

coolraoul

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Glance is always on for my 920 and my GF's 620. Both LCD screens. No noticeable effect on the battery, as Glance is dim and very well implemented.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
As mentioned GG2 and GG3's difference on lies in the physical properties of the displays, the weight and thickness. They are still equally more, or less prone to damage.

AMOLED displays are very expensive to produce, and start to get really expensive on displays larger than 5 inches, that is why we don't see any TV's with AMOLED technology, not even 15 inch laptops use AMOLED, to my knowledge.

Anyways AMOLED has it drawbacks. My 1020 has a couple of black blotches on the screen noticeable on the settings menu where there is a black background, but this is normal for any AMOLED display, its the way they are manufactured. Very noticeable on Samsung AMOLEDS.

LCD consumes less energy than AMOELD, I thought it was the other way round but if you are displaying a lot of colours on a display, then an LCD consumes less energy, which will make a big difference on a full HD 6 inch display.

And at the end of the day, if Nokia did decide to have the 1520 with an AMOLED display and GG3, it would push the price up even more.

while there might not be AMOLED tv's, there are OLED tv's which is pretty close to AMOLED. LG 55EM960V Television - This 55" OLED TV is an eco-friendly revolution in picture quality and ultra slim design - LG Electronics UK

can you show me where lcd's consume less energy? i have always thought amoled's do because the black is actually turned off pixels that are not drawing any power when they are black.

samsung is the leader in amoled tech. their note 3 doesnt even have a 6 inch amoled screen. so they were not going to make a screen for nokia that would outdo their new flagship as far as amoled goes.

cubanresourceful

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
no it doesnt make glance pointless. if you notice, glance is very dim. amoled and lcd both get dim. that is not specific to a display tech.
Yes, but I thought Glance was about saving battery because of only turning on pixels that need to be displayed (a la AMOLED). I assume this is similar in feature to the Moto X's notification feature.

I have not noticed how dim it is because, well, I don't think I have access to Glance on a 521. Just sharing my concerns. :)

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but I thought Glance was about saving battery because of only turning on pixels that need to be displayed (a la AMOLED). I assume this is similar in feature to the Moto X's notification feature.

I have not noticed how dim it is because, well, I don't think I have access to Glance on a 521. Just sharing my concerns. :)

i have a lumia 920. it's very dim and i havent noticed any kind of impact on my battery and i keep glance on 24/7. it turns off after 15min also so that further saves battery. my lumia 920 is an LCD display. if i want to see it i just reach towards my phone and it pops back on.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I was shocked to see Lumia 1520 having Gorilla Glass 2 instead of 3 and LCD instead of AMOLED. 6 inch is a big screen, therefore will be more vulnurable to damage if falls. You need a stronger glass for a big screen

My only response is, I never dropped any of my phones till date, except once when I had sweaty hands.
Also L720 has GG2, been using it since April, without any screen protection, you cant see a single scratch on it.

AlexOwliver

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
That's how the world goes. Why would someone make new generation worst than the previous generation?

We should always do research before making assumptions :) Phonemakers have been quietly moving away from GG3 for a while, and I believe that Corning has already shown off its replacement pretty early in the lifecycle. Corning screwed up and GG3 is pretty widely regarded as NOT being as durable as GG2. In their quest for thinness and lightness, they sacrificed some quality and strength. A lot of the early GG3 phones had complaints about scratching and imperfections. I'm not surprised that on this large of a display, Nokia went with the "heavy duty" glass.

Incidently, the thickness on GG2 is also what enables the lovely "3D" curve on the 920 - GG3 is found on the 925 and significantly flattens out the screen.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Do people really notice the difference between AMOLED and LCD? I really couldn't care less. As long as the display is bright and has great viewing angles, who cares? And by the videos of first impressions, people believe this to be one of the best screens ever fitted on a phone.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
With a thread like this my fear about us WP users becomeing spec whores might be coming true. "3" isn't automactically better than "2" and you really think there is a big difference between 2.22 and 2.23 GHz on a smartphone?

Comeon people, get a grip.

Memristor

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was shocked to see Lumia 1520 having Gorilla Glass 2 instead of 3 and LCD instead of AMOLED. 6 inch is a big screen, therefore will be more vulnurable to damage if falls. You need a stronger glass for a big screen
AT&T will get a AMOLED on its 1520. But they omitted wireless charging and only include 16GB of internal storage. Also the SoC is 0.1GHz faster than the global version. For me those are all negatives. I like LCD better than over saturated AMOLED screens. Internal storage is much better than using a SD card. I have three wireless charger that I would like to use without adding a cover. WP doesn't need a faster SoC, 2.2GHz is plenty fast.

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm so disgusted that AT&T decided they wanted a version with out wireless charging. I dropped my 920 in the lake a few month ago and have been using a Galaxy S4 Active (yuk) since because well I obviously needed something waterproof. I was really looking forward to the 1520 until now. Now I'm either going to buy an international version unlocked for the wireless charging (if I can find one in the states) or just pick up a used 920 and wait until the next round of AT&T phones and hope they get their heads out of their butts and include wireless charging. I don't want to put a jacket on my phone, that's just counterproductive, especially with a phone this large.

Fuhrer-Adolf

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Do people really notice the difference between AMOLED and LCD?
AMOLED screens is brighter, has a better contrast (LCDs have been stuck with 1000:1 for ages), 180 deg. viewing angle, better screen response time (~0.01ms), lacks of uneven backlight, is thinner overall (no backlight needed), result in a better power consumption, when it comes to a black Windows Phone UI, so the difference is pretty obvious. However AMOLED screens are more expensive and the suppliers of AMOLED screens are limited because of a more advanced manufacturing process, there is a reason, we must choose between a screen resolution and AMOLED technology. It's the same as it was with 920/925. When the prices will drop, we will see a 1080p AMOLED Lumia, it's just a matter of time. I don't think there is too many people waiting for the two times overpriced phone just because of a screen matrix type. AMOLEDs are also believed to be fade more quick, but there is doubt it will affect a phone life cycle.
And yes, the glance screen looks good enough on both actually.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The thing that hurts me the most is the 20MP camera with Dual LED Flash.
Its almost the same story as GG2 vs GG3.. you won't even notice the difference. BUT WHY?!
Why didn't they just put the same camera from 1020 with Xenon flash (which I think is WAY better than LED)?
I also (for some unknown reason) prefer AMOLED, it just feels like it's better than LCD even tho I don't know almost anything about displays.
But anyway, I guess I'll still have to wait for Nokia(Microsoft) to get a hold of themselves and make a superphone (or a phablet).
A phone which will be the best of the best.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The thing that hurts me the most is the 20MP camera with Dual LED Flash.
Its almost the same story as GG2 vs GG3.. you won't even notice the difference. BUT WHY?!
Why didn't they just put the same camera from 1020 with Xenon flash (which I think is WAY better than LED)?
I also (for some unknown reason) prefer AMOLED, it just feels like it's better than LCD even tho I don't know almost anything about displays.
But anyway, I guess I'll still have to wait for Nokia(Microsoft) to get a hold of themselves and make a superphone (or a phablet).
A phone which will be the best of the best.

The reason why this doesn't have a 41mp camera and the reason why no Lumia will have a 41mp camera until next year is simple, niche market. Only a select few want the greatest camera and it doesn't warrant having every single device with that camera. 41mp camera or better will happen only once, on one device. That device will replace 1020 for 1 year until it is replaced by it's replacement. Same scenario as was with N8 and 808. And when you make a phablet, you priority is to make it as thin as possible because it's already big. Nobody will buy a 6 inch device with a huge camera hump on the back. So if you want a 41mp camera, you gonna have to wait a year.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
...Phonemakers have been quietly moving away from GG3 for a while, and I believe that Corning has already shown off its replacement pretty early in the lifecycle. Corning screwed up and GG3 is pretty widely regarded as NOT being as durable as GG2. In their quest for thinness and lightness, they sacrificed some quality and strength. A lot of the early GG3 phones had complaints about scratching and imperfections...

Disappointing to hear. I had seen this video during MWC, and was really excited to get gorilla glass 3 on this year's flagships.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb