07-24-2015 10:07 AM
77 123 ...
tools
    I was shocked to see Lumia 1520 having Gorilla Glass 2 instead of 3 and LCD instead of AMOLED. 6 inch is a big screen, therefore will be more vulnurable to damage if falls. You need a stronger glass for a big screen
    10-22-2013 04:57 AM
    Every glass will break after a fall, it's about scratch resistance, not being indestructible.
    10-22-2013 05:01 AM
    Every glass will break after a fall, it's about scratch resistance, not being indestructible.
    Bigger screen is more vulnerable compared to small screen. Whether its scratches or breakage. When they implemented Gorilla Glass 3 in 1020, there was no point of moving back to glass 2, with 1520.
    The_m likes this.
    10-22-2013 05:08 AM
    For me LCD is a plus over amoled. Either way I hope Verizon gets this phone pretty soon.
    10-22-2013 05:32 AM
    I was shocked to see Lumia 1520 having Gorilla Glass 2 instead of 3 and LCD instead of AMOLED. 6 inch is a big screen, therefore will be more vulnurable to damage if falls. You need a stronger glass for a big screen
    I consider LCD update. Especially as Lumia 1520 has been universally been said to be best or among the best screens they have ever seen.
    The_m likes this.
    10-22-2013 05:37 AM
    Will the 1520 wirelessly charge up on my JBL Power Up Charger that I use for my 920?
    10-22-2013 05:42 AM
    Will the 1520 wirelessly charge up on my JBL Power Up Charger that I use for my 920?
    Yes.
    sraffe8283 and xandros9 like this.
    10-22-2013 05:49 AM
    Is GG3 really that much better than GG2? Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not too well-informed about this kind of thing, but I really couldn't imagine it making that much of a difference for anyone.

Also, you can't say LCD is a backwards step from AMOLED. LCD vs AMOLED is a purely subjective matter.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-22-2013 07:01 AM
    Actually Gorilla Glass 3 improves only on weight and thinness, its not stronger. :)
    LCD SCREENS ARE BETTER, they just are better specially on a 1080p because AMOLEDS consume so much batteries on full HD and almost all of them are PENTILE matrix.
    Also LCD screens get colors better and get better low light readability (AMOLED scratch your eyes at night), its also better under sun light so there you have it on that front.

Also a protective cover will save your phone from a fall or two ?
    The_m and xandros9 like this.
    10-22-2013 07:04 AM
    Is GG3 really that much better than GG2? Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not too well-informed about this kind of thing, but I really couldn't imagine it making that much of a difference for anyone.

Also, you can't say LCD is a backwards step from AMOLED. LCD vs AMOLED is a purely subjective matter.
    GG3 is the current generation compared to previous generation GG2. So it has to be stronger, just like the way GG2 is stronger than GG1
    10-22-2013 07:15 AM
    Maybe I am crazy, but going with LCD, doesn't it make Nokia Glance pointless, since it cannot take advantage of lighting only the required pixels (like on an AMOLED)?
    10-22-2013 07:26 AM
    As mentioned GG2 and GG3's difference on lies in the physical properties of the displays, the weight and thickness. They are still equally more, or less prone to damage.

AMOLED displays are very expensive to produce, and start to get really expensive on displays larger than 5 inches, that is why we don't see any TV's with AMOLED technology, not even 15 inch laptops use AMOLED, to my knowledge.

Anyways AMOLED has it drawbacks. My 1020 has a couple of black blotches on the screen noticeable on the settings menu where there is a black background, but this is normal for any AMOLED display, its the way they are manufactured. Very noticeable on Samsung AMOLEDS.

LCD consumes less energy than AMOELD, I thought it was the other way round but if you are displaying a lot of colours on a display, then an LCD consumes less energy, which will make a big difference on a full HD 6 inch display.

And at the end of the day, if Nokia did decide to have the 1520 with an AMOLED display and GG3, it would push the price up even more.
    10-22-2013 07:32 AM
    GG3 is the current generation compared to previous generation GG2. So it has to be stronger, just like the way GG2 is stronger than GG1
    Well obviously it's a generation ahead because one has the number 3 at the end and the other has the number 2 at the end lol. My question is, how do you know it's really that much better?
    hipporama, Chief_Adu and xandros9 like this.
    10-22-2013 07:35 AM
    LCD on my 920 is better than the amoled on the 925. This will be my next device for sure :)

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
    10-22-2013 07:38 AM
    The 1320 has Gorilla Glass 3... Just saying...
    10-22-2013 08:00 AM
    Then don't drop your phone. Problem solved.
    10-22-2013 08:13 AM
    Well obviously it's a generation ahead because one has the number 3 at the end and the other has the number 2 at the end lol. My question is, how do you know it's really that much better?
    That's how the world goes. Why would someone make new generation worst than the previous generation?
    10-22-2013 09:39 AM
    Then don't drop your phone. Problem solved.
    I treat my phone like baby. But despite all these measure, there are unavoidable circumstances in which your phone will be dropped once a twice in its entire life cycle.
    10-22-2013 09:40 AM
    Maybe I am crazy, but going with LCD, doesn't it make Nokia Glance pointless, since it cannot take advantage of lighting only the required pixels (like on an AMOLED)?
    no it doesnt make glance pointless. if you notice, glance is very dim. amoled and lcd both get dim. that is not specific to a display tech.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-22-2013 09:40 AM
    Bigger screen is more vulnerable compared to small screen. Whether its scratches or breakage. When they implemented Gorilla Glass 3 in 1020, there was no point of moving back to glass 2, with 1520.
    cost is a pretty solid motivating factor.
    10-22-2013 09:49 AM
    Glance is always on for my 920 and my GF's 620. Both LCD screens. No noticeable effect on the battery, as Glance is dim and very well implemented.
    10-22-2013 09:50 AM
    As mentioned GG2 and GG3's difference on lies in the physical properties of the displays, the weight and thickness. They are still equally more, or less prone to damage.

AMOLED displays are very expensive to produce, and start to get really expensive on displays larger than 5 inches, that is why we don't see any TV's with AMOLED technology, not even 15 inch laptops use AMOLED, to my knowledge.

Anyways AMOLED has it drawbacks. My 1020 has a couple of black blotches on the screen noticeable on the settings menu where there is a black background, but this is normal for any AMOLED display, its the way they are manufactured. Very noticeable on Samsung AMOLEDS.

LCD consumes less energy than AMOELD, I thought it was the other way round but if you are displaying a lot of colours on a display, then an LCD consumes less energy, which will make a big difference on a full HD 6 inch display.

And at the end of the day, if Nokia did decide to have the 1520 with an AMOLED display and GG3, it would push the price up even more.
    while there might not be AMOLED tv's, there are OLED tv's which is pretty close to AMOLED. LG 55EM960V Television - This 55" OLED TV is an eco-friendly revolution in picture quality and ultra slim design - LG Electronics UK

can you show me where lcd's consume less energy? i have always thought amoled's do because the black is actually turned off pixels that are not drawing any power when they are black.

samsung is the leader in amoled tech. their note 3 doesnt even have a 6 inch amoled screen. so they were not going to make a screen for nokia that would outdo their new flagship as far as amoled goes.
    10-22-2013 09:51 AM
    no it doesnt make glance pointless. if you notice, glance is very dim. amoled and lcd both get dim. that is not specific to a display tech.
    Yes, but I thought Glance was about saving battery because of only turning on pixels that need to be displayed (a la AMOLED). I assume this is similar in feature to the Moto X's notification feature.

I have not noticed how dim it is because, well, I don't think I have access to Glance on a 521. Just sharing my concerns. :)
    10-22-2013 09:57 AM
    Yes, but I thought Glance was about saving battery because of only turning on pixels that need to be displayed (a la AMOLED). I assume this is similar in feature to the Moto X's notification feature.

I have not noticed how dim it is because, well, I don't think I have access to Glance on a 521. Just sharing my concerns. :)
    i have a lumia 920. it's very dim and i havent noticed any kind of impact on my battery and i keep glance on 24/7. it turns off after 15min also so that further saves battery. my lumia 920 is an LCD display. if i want to see it i just reach towards my phone and it pops back on.
    10-22-2013 10:03 AM
    My only response is, I never dropped any of my phones till date, except once when I had sweaty hands.
    Also L720 has GG2, been using it since April, without any screen protection, you cant see a single scratch on it.
    10-22-2013 10:05 AM
77 123 ...