Anyone else sick of AT&T WP exclusives?

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes...the exclusivity thing sucks. I'm currently sitting on my upgrade (I was waiting for a red 928...wishful, I know) and would pull the trigger on a 1020 on Verizon in a heartbeat. It serves Nokia no good to keep doing these things. I seriously doubt Verizon would scoff at a 1020, or some minor variant. While the 822 and 928 weren't barn burners on the sales charts overall, they were solid sellers in terms of smartphones. So I have a hard time believing that Verizon has no interest in getting these phones. I guess we'll see what they have for the 4th quarter line-up.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
This would be exciting to me (and other T-Mo customers) because Verizon LTE devices are sold unlocked. However, if the pattern repeats as it has with Verizon on multiple platforms, we won't see the 1520 variant (rumored 929) for months. At that point, the early adopting nerds (read: me) will have moved on. Huge reason I could never be on Verizon (among other large reasons).

I'm not sure this will be a repeat situation. The 928 was held off for about 6 months because ATT had a 6 month exclusivity on the 920. The 928 was basically just a slightly modified 920. The 929 on the other hand is nothing like the 1520. Namely screen size. It's a different device and I don't believe ATT has exclusivity on "all 1080p windows phone" That'd be stupid.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes...the exclusivity thing sucks. I'm currently sitting on my upgrade (I was waiting for a red 928...wishful, I know) and would pull the trigger on a 1020 on Verizon in a heartbeat. It serves Nokia no good to keep doing these things. I seriously doubt Verizon would scoff at a 1020, or some minor variant. While the 822 and 928 weren't barn burners on the sales charts overall, they were solid sellers in terms of smartphones. So I have a hard time believing that Verizon has no interest in getting these phones. I guess we'll see what they have for the 4th quarter line-up.

Lumia 929

The original rumor was that the 1320 was the 929. But we know that isn't the case anymore. Regardless the 929 has way better specs than the 1320. This is the phone you're going to want to wait for!

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
f*cking Nokia! that's why you got bought!!! WHY CANT I WALK IN A STORE, PAY $820.00 FOR THE 1520 AND USE IT ON ANY CARRIER I WANT? IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR? FOR THE LOVE OF CAPS, I CANT UNDERSTAND WHY IN 2013 MY PHONE AND ITS SERVICE ARE STRANGLED TOGETHER! WHEN I BUY A TV I CAN USE IT ON ANY CABLE OR SATELITE SERVICE, WHEN I BUY A COMPUTER I CAN USE ANY ISP, WHEN I BUY A CAR I CAN DRIVE ON ANY ROAD, WHY THE F-U-C-K!!!!! CAN I NOT BUY A PHONE AND USE IT ANY-FUKKKING- WHERE??? (#epic rant is done, yes I was yelling, #ExcuseMyLanguage, I am fed up, #Sorry for cursing, #KeepCalm) so what are the options to get the phone unlocked? Rogers?

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Here's the kicker. ATT is the only company that removes Data Sense, a Nokia feature. Yet Nokia still seems willing to give them the best phones.

No wonder Nokia hasn't commented on ATT removing Data Sense, they don't care because ATT is paying them something for the exclusives.

I'm kicking ATT to the curb, I don't care what phone they get. They can't do updates right, and they strip out a great feature. Screw em.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Seriously guys, we just need to calm down. I realize a lot of you guys are b*tt hurt about them not releasing a minor update that the average person doesn't care about, but actually think outside the box.

In the US, you have 4 major carriers: ATT, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile. Most of the planet uses GSM, so it would make the most logical sense to make your phone GSM. Ok, so now we have Verizon and Sprint out of the way.

Ok, now that we have it narrowed down, ask yourself: if I were an OEM, would I give my phone to company A, which is #2 in the US, or B, which is #4. I think we all see the most logical choice.

Nokia is struggling so they can't really afford to make 3 different types of flagship phones (that's 3 different ad campaigns). Lets just step back and take a trip to a happy place.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
if I were an OEM, would I give my phone to company A, which is #2 in the US, or B, which is #4. I think we all see the most logical choice.

Nokia is struggling so they can't really afford to make 3 different types of flagship phones

Nokia is already making the Rogers models of 920 and 1020 which are fully hardware compatible with both AT&T and T-Mo, so they would need only 1 type for all 3 carriers, so with all due respect your argument is stupid and the logical choice would be to sell the one type to any subscriber of any of those carriers willing to buy.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Nokia is already making the Rogers models of 920 and 1020 which are fully hardware compatible with both AT&T and T-Mo, so they would need only 1 type for all 3 carriers, so with all due respect your argument is stupid and the logical choice would be to sell the one type to any subscriber of any of those carriers willing to buy.

*sigh* you're failing to see the point. If carriers have no reason to brag about their new phone, why would they? Being exclusive to AT&T gives them bragging rights to show it off. In my local store, there was a 1020 display set up and I saw tons of people playing with it every time I walked in. T-Mobile is going all iPhone crazy ****** because they just got it last year, so they could care less about Windows Phone. AT&T gives them access to a wider array of people that T-Mobile simply doesn't have enough customers to match.

Yes, on paper it makes sense to give a phone to as many people as possible, but if consumers aren't interested (and without AT&T, they wouldn't even give Windows a second look) what good would it do?

So with all due respect, think for a minute about the consequences for a minute.

Disclaimer: I'm on AT&T

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Lumia 929

The original rumor was that the 1320 was the 929. But we know that isn't the case anymore. Regardless the 929 has way better specs than the 1320. This is the phone you're going to want to wait for!

If the specs in that link are accurate I would be all over it. The battery life the snapdragon 800 provides is amazing on Android phones so on WP it should be incredible.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Stupid. See: phones made by one of the largest tech companies in the world with billions to be able to push with their own ad campaigns, so much so that during the Super Bowl, they spend $12 million on a commercial that literally showed off nothing

There, fixed it for you.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I think some fail to realize that Nokia does not have the same clout as an Apple or a Samsung. I mean up until pretty much 2 years ago or so, Nokia was pretty much non-existent in USA. Now people think with Windows and its low Marketshare, they are big time now and can release on all carriers like a market share dominate Android and Samsung giant. Do people think or just speak out of emotion (e.g. ANGER, SADNESS, FRUSTRATION). Oh and the reason why you can't just walk into a store and pay out of pocket for one is who will carry it? The four carriers wouldn't because they wouldn't make a profit of course. There is no Nokia only stores in the USA like there is Sony and Apple. So maybe after the acquisition you might see it in the Microsoft stores but that's mainly it.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
*sigh* you're failing to see the point. If carriers have no reason to brag about their new phone, why would they? Being exclusive to AT&T gives them bragging rights to show it off.

Disclaimer: I'm on AT&T

Stupid. See: Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, Note...

Stupid. See: phones made by one of the largest tech companies in the world with billions to be able to push with their own ad campaigns, so much so that during the Super Bowl, they spend $12 million on a commercial that literally showed off nothing

There, fixed it for you.

Not quite. See: HTC One, LG G2, iPhone 5/5S, Galaxy S3/4, Galaxy Note 3, Blackberry Z10/Q10. Practically speaking, literally every other major manufacturer and platform has devices that span all carriers. I can concede your point for Apple, Samsung, and even LG. But HTC and BlackBerry are hardly in that league, especially now.

The point is that carriers wield far too much power and nothing happens because the majority of consumers don't care or know to care. People are complacent because they're used to it. I'm on T-Mobile because they're all about disrupting the industry and it's refreshing. I don't care if AT&T has better coverage, I refuse to validate their consumer hostile practices.

f*cking Nokia! that's why you got bought!!! WHY CANT I WALK IN A STORE, PAY $820.00 FOR THE 1520 AND USE IT ON ANY CARRIER I WANT? IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR? FOR THE LOVE OF CAPS, I CANT UNDERSTAND WHY IN 2013 MY PHONE AND ITS SERVICE ARE STRANGLED TOGETHER! WHEN I BUY A TV I CAN USE IT ON ANY CABLE OR SATELITE SERVICE, WHEN I BUY A COMPUTER I CAN USE ANY ISP, WHEN I BUY A CAR I CAN DRIVE ON ANY ROAD, WHY THE F-U-C-K!!!!! CAN I NOT BUY A PHONE AND USE IT ANY-FUKKKING- WHERE??? (#epic rant is done, yes I was yelling, #ExcuseMyLanguage, I am fed up, #Sorry for cursing, #KeepCalm) so what are the options to get the phone unlocked? Rogers?

Normally I hate when people post in all caps...but reading this was cathartic. Thank you sir. (And btw, for those of you who may have dismissed this due to it being in all caps - please read. It's spot on.)

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Not quite. See: HTC One, LG G2, iPhone 5/5S, Galaxy S3/4, Galaxy Note 3, Blackberry Z10/Q10. Practically speaking, literally every other major manufacturer and platform has devices that span all carriers. I can concede your point for Apple, Samsung, and even LG. But HTC and BlackBerry are hardly in that league, especially now.

The point is that carriers wield far too much power and nothing happens because the majority of consumers don't care or know to care. People are complacent because they're used to it. I'm on T-Mobile because they're all about disrupting the industry and it's refreshing. I don't care if AT&T has better coverage, I refuse to validate their consumer hostile practices.

Normally I hate when people post in all caps...but reading this was cathartic. Thank you sir. (And btw, for those of you who may have dismissed this due to it being in all caps - please read. It's spot on.)

to be fair, HTC only really hit a wall recently. I remember a couple of years ago when tons of people had HTC phones.

As to BB, alright you got me there, I have no idea why they support BB like they do.

Last edited:

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I'm so sick of that exclusive B.S. And now it turns out that the AT&T Lumia 1520 is a different device all together. Different Screen, different SoC, 16GB only, no wireless charging. What the heck are they thinking. Call it 1522 so we know right away that this is a different device than the rest of the world is getting.

Nokia Lumia 1520 | Windows Phone (United States)

D.O.A! SMH. I hope they're trolling us.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
to be fair, HTC only really hit a wall recently. I remember a couple of years ago when tons of people had HTC phones.

As to BB, alright you got me there, I have no idea why they support BB like they do.
isn't blackberry name technically bigger than Nokia in us and Canada though. Despite blackberry bombing, there name does hold more power in the US and especially Canada. That could be a reason.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa