Anyone else sick of AT&T WP exclusives?

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I just want somebody in here to start a phone company, make the phones, sell it across all carriers and tell me if they make a profit or not. Since the people in here seem to know more than the number of economics, analyst and business people working with Nokia & Microsoft to know that when the demand is not high for a particular item, go ahead and push it out anyways and hope for the best. I hate exclusives as much as the next person (E.G. PS vs XBOX) but I guess I'm lucky to be on AT&T.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I just want somebody in here to start a phone company, make the phones, sell it across all carriers and tell me if they make a profit or not. Since the people in here seem to know more than the number of economics, analyst and business people working with Nokia & Microsoft to know that when the demand is not high for a particular item, go ahead and push it out anyways and hope for the best.

I would submit once more, if these supposed "economics, analyst and business people" have said this for 2+ years with AT&T exclusives, and US marketshare for WP is still pathetic, perhaps we should try something else? I mean...4th time's the charm? They say that right? That's a thing, right?

I would also submit, again, that every other major handset manufacturer with a US strategy has their flagship device(s) on all 4 US carriers. Every. Single. One.

I don't want to oversimplify and I know much more goes into these things, but the act of throwing up our arms and just trust that there's a good reason for these decisions is not the answer.

[...] I guess I'm lucky to be on AT&T.

Said no one ever.

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have AT&T and I see where you are coming from. I would like to see Nokia giving ALL major carriers their top end phones, and not variants of them 6 months later. I think it will get them more sales and make the WP community grow. But you have to remember the Iphone was once a exclusive to AT&T but now it available to all carriers, so I wouldn't be surprised if Nokia does this when WP gets more attention

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I would submit once more, if these supposed "economics, analyst and business people" have said this for 2+ years with AT&T exclusives, and US marketshare for WP is still pathetic, perhaps we should try something else? I mean...4th time's the charm? They say that right? That's a thing, right?

I would also submit, again, that every other major handset manufacturer with a US strategy has their flagship device(s) on all 4 US carriers. Every. Single. One.

I don't want to oversimplify and I know much more goes into these things, but the act of throwing up our arms and just trust that there's a good reason for these decisions is not the answer.

Said no one ever.

Correct in your assessment but your assuming that Nokia is considered a "Major" handset manufacturer. I dont even think Sony releases all their phones on all carriers heck I dont think even LG does either.

desitunez

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
the way i see it , AT&T is Nokia's Customer , they buy the phones of Nokia and then willing to sell and market it properly , other carriers wont probably do the same hence the exclusives.

AT&T say we will take shipment of XXXX handsets , will market it on tv / and train staff , in store marketing space billboards, there is no reason nokia would go for any other carriers.

indeed this can change when there is lot of customer demand on other carriers.

cheers

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
YOUR ignored by WP phone makers? HILARIOUS! Try being on Verizon! Sure they have the best coverage and fastest network, but there are only 3 WP 8 phones from the beginning of this year

farskija

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
As an outsider looking in (currently a Z10 user on Verizon) I am disappointed to see a lack of new Nokia phones on Verizon... I'm tempted to try WP but don't want to switch carriers...

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 929

The original rumor was that the 1320 was the 929. But we know that isn't the case anymore. Regardless the 929 has way better specs than the 1320. This is the phone you're going to want to wait for!

The question is, how long are we going to be waiting? It was originally rumored that the device was going to be released in 2013. Then it was rumored to be launched specifically in November, 2013. Then Rubio tweeted that we wouldn't be seeing it until Q1 of 2014.

It can still certainly launch in November even if it's not mentioned in October. Remember the Lumia 928 was released on Verizon 6 days after the official announcement event was held by Nokia.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The question is, how long are we going to be waiting? It was originally rumored that the device was going to be released in 2013. Then it was rumored to be launched specifically in November, 2013. Then Rubio tweeted that we wouldn't be seeing it until Q1 of 2014.

It can still certainly launch in November even if it's not mentioned in October. Remember the Lumia 928 was released on Verizon 6 days after the official announcement event was held by Nokia.

I believe it's launch will be like the 928. Low key and will go on sale days after the announcement.

edit: they should also change the name lol, 929 makes no sense in Nokia's naming schemes. It should be 93x or 94x

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The biggest issue I have with Nokia on going this route is that Verizon, with just the 822 and 928, and with the 822 dropped from VZW's lineup for about a month or two, managed to sell about as many Lumia's as AT&T which has now had 3 flagship Lumia's plus the 820 and 520. They had the 920, 925, and 1020, and have only recently caught back up to Verizon. If the 1020 and 520 were also on Verizon, AT&T would still be looking at Verizon's bumper from a few miles back. Heck, putting the 1020 and 520 on Verizon would probably add another half million phones to Nokia's sales for this past quarter.

If you are going to go exclusive, why not go to the carrier that sells the most WP's even though it's hardly trying?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The biggest issue I have with Nokia on going this route is that Verizon, with just the 822 and 928, and with the 822 dropped from VZW's lineup for about a month or two, managed to sell about as many Lumia's as AT&T which has now had 3 flagship Lumia's plus the 820 and 520. They had the 920, 925, and 1020, and have only recently caught back up to Verizon. If the 1020 and 520 were also on Verizon, AT&T would still be looking at Verizon's bumper from a few miles back. Heck, putting the 1020 and 520 on Verizon would probably add another half million phones to Nokia's sales for this past quarter.

If you are going to go exclusive, why not go to the carrier that sells the most WP's even though it's hardly trying?

Perhaps att is a better partner to work with. Its not secret ever since kin, Verizon has been meh towards windows phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire