No 4K video in specs :(

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Now that the event has gone through, is it confirmed that there will be no 4K video recording? The snapdragon 800 is clearly capable of it. :(

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Well all the 4K TV and monitor cost over ?3000 which no one will spend until they become cheaper so it useless having 4K video when you can't even view the full 4K.

However it may just need an update to enable it.

Also other high end devices don't shoot in 4K either and won't see it till 4K become the norm.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The Snapdragon 800 is not capable of REAL 4k video recording.

Most full desktop processors are not capable of that.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Why the hell would you need a 4K video recording capability? Majority of consumers (99%) don't even know what 4K is, let alone have a TV capable of that. Would you like your next smartphone to grab you a beer from the fridge as well? How about letting you control the International Space Station?

There is a line between what is necessary and what is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Well all the 4K TV and monitor cost over ?3000 which no one will spend until they become cheaper so it useless having 4K video when you can't even view the full 4K.

However it may just need an update to enable it.

Also other high end devices don't shoot in 4K either and won't see it till 4K become the norm.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Galaxy Note 3, LG G2, and Sony Xperia Z1 all have the snapdragon 800 and support 4K recording. Maybe it's only 15fps, but it's cool! My only point is, if there's no hardware limitation, why not allow it? But maybe you're right, maybe it's just a software update away :D

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Why the hell would you need a 4K video recording capability? Majority of consumers (99%) don't even know what 4K is, let alone have a TV capable of that. Would you like your next smartphone to grab you a beer from the fridge as well? How about letting you control the International Space Station?

There is a line between what is necessary and what is ridiculous.

Pretty sure our smartphones are more powerful than whatever computers put the ISS up there in the first place! Haha. And yea of course it's ridiculous, but so is a 41mp camera. It's ridiculous but awesome!

Usman Mubashir

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I sincerely think that even if Nokia puts Snapdragon800 in Lumia 1020, it still won't record REAL 4k video.
There are different types of high quality video. I have some clips of 3 minute 4k videos ranging from 500 Mb to 1.5 Gb. The difference is evident even on my laptop screen which is 720p! To get real 4k video, I think one should get a real 4k recorder. Just forcing a 20mp camera to do that will give you your video, but not much better than the full hd video. When you want a 4k video, why not get the real thing?
Bottom line, IMO 4k recording on a smartphone or phablet (maybe exclude S800 L1020 ;) ) will produce a video that is not much better than the 1080p video they already record. In the mean time, we will only be able to shoot 20 minutes of video which is not much for most people when they start recording.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
The only reason why I would want 4k video would be to crop the footage in post-production. Since Nokia offers lossless digital zoom, the benefit of 4k is already taken care of.

I'd rather have a high-quality / high bitrate 1080p than have to deal with huuuuuuuuge file size video files recorded at 4k with visible compression artifacts.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but Galaxy Note 3, LG G2, and Sony Xperia Z1 all have the snapdragon 800 and support 4K recording. Maybe it's only 15fps, but it's cool! My only point is, if there's no hardware limitation, why not allow it? But maybe you're right, maybe it's just a software update away :D

You're not getting true 4k recording quality. Not even at the lower 15fps.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Even I was bit disappointed with lack of 4K recording. But take a look at this. With 4K recording, 3 minute video recording will consume whole 32GB storage. Nokia will implement 4K recording once they get their hands into H/265 compression technique, which will reduce the size of video to almost 1/10th.

Usman Mubashir

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
We shouldn't get REAL 4K recording on phones till next year, maybe even two years. Right now, it's a joke on a phone.

Exactly! first, it will not be of that good quality that people will consider it better that full HD, second, we need 128GB built in storage to shoot some clips, where as today's phones have non expandable storage.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yup, I agree with you guys, not necessary, and also it woulnd't be what 4k really should be.
Tho, I would love to have it as an option, even tho I wouldn't use it almost ever. I just feel better knowing that I can do it.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I would rather have up to 120fps 720p video and 60fps 1080p video. 4k on phones seems unnecessary for now, especially since most people just upload video from cellphones to YouTube.

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
The Snapdragon 800 is not capable of REAL 4k video recording.

Most full desktop processors are not capable of that.

yes they are, especially with the dedicated or discrete video card lending a hand

a Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz can decode blu-ray all by it'se self using about 40% of a single CPU core... and since 4K is roghly 4 times that much, any curent i5 cpu can do that...easily

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I would rather have up to 120fps 720p video and 60fps 1080p video. 4k on phones seems unnecessary for now, especially since most people just upload video from cellphones to YouTube.

I would rather it have ALL of the above mentioned options + 4k at 15fps or 30fps or whatever is possible...like a gopro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12