1520 different variants

alexloe

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
RM-937 Global variant 32 GB built-in Qi-Charging

RM-938 Latin America variant 32 GB built-in Qi-Charging

RM-939 Chinese variant without LTE 32 GB built-in Qi-Charging

RM-940 AT&T variant 16 GB Qi-charging only with optional cover - No WCDMA 1700/2100 T-Mobile USA customers should try to get RM-938 variant

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

RM-940 AT&T variant 16 GB Qi-charging only with optional cover - No WCDMA 1700/2100 T-Mobile USA customers should try to get RM-938 variant

They better sell that ATT phone for $99 on contract. Otherwise they're shooting themselves in the foot

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
...and AT&T exclusivity nonsense defenders are babbling that it's because Nokia can't afford to make different versions for more carriers or something.

Kevin Spring

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Why the RM-938? Also, would that variant be a good fit for Tmobile's network?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I hope this is the straw that breaks the camel's back and Microsoft sells a global variant with US LTE bands in their store. This bull**** ATT is playing is absolutely deplorable and they will kill this phone in the US.

Kevin Spring

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
RM-938 shares all WCDMA and LTE bands with RM-940 + WCDMA 1700/2100

RM-938 can use T-Mobile 3G and 4G in all areas.

This seems like the answer to all my prayers! I just wanted this phone with 32gb storage, wireless charging, and on tmobile. Are there any obvious problems with taking the latin america variant to tmobile, such as firmware?

alexloe

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, if you get an unlocked country variant from e.g. Argentina, Brazil or any other latin american country you can use this phone without any issues with T-Mobile.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
...and AT&T exclusivity nonsense defenders are babbling that it's because Nokia can't afford to make different versions for more carriers or something.

Nobody is defending the exclusivity and nobody says that Nokia can't afford different variants, they can. The problem is that in US, carriers call the shots unless you are Apple. If the carrier doesn't want a device, Nokia can't force them to buy it. Because carriers buy the phones from OEMs and then resell them. If they believe that the phone won't sell on their network, they don't buy the device.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
"Nokia is struggling so they can't really afford to make 3 different types of flagship phones (that's 3 different ad campaigns)."
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/246777-2.htm#post2187668

*facepalm* you still don't listen, do you? You clearly took what I said out of context seeing how you skipped about 2/3 of what I said. They have >30 different phones, they can easily make 2 more. What they can't afford is to lose the partnership with AT&T because they're the only major carrier who gives a rats @$$. T-Mobile is iPhone crazy since they just got it last year (watch their commercials), and Verizon and Sprint just don't try to get good models (save the ONE 928). Erzhik is right, carriers run the show unless you're a big OEM. Stop comparing Nokia to Samsung and Apple, they're not even close to the same level.

Edit: if someone replies to this comment with "AT&T doesn't care, look at GDR2" then their comment is invalid and should not be acknowledged. GDR2 was not that big of a freaking deal. I waited just like everyone else.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
So what email is everyone using to complain to AT&T? Maybe we can get them to offer 32GB version..

( I for one am not going from a 32 GB 920 to a 16GB phone, the microSD storage was supposed to be an upgrade not a trade off)

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
*facepalm* you still don't listen, do you? You clearly took what I said out of context seeing how you skipped about 2/3 of what I said. They have >30 different phones, they can easily make 2 more. What they can't afford is to lose the partnership with AT&T because they're the only major carrier who gives a rats @$$. T-Mobile is iPhone crazy since they just got it last year (watch their commercials), and Verizon and Sprint just don't try to get good models (save the ONE 928). Erzhik is right, carriers run the show unless you're a big OEM. Stop comparing Nokia to Samsung and Apple, they're not even close to the same level.

Edit: if someone replies to this comment with "AT&T doesn't care, look at GDR2" then their comment is invalid and should not be acknowledged. GDR2 was not that big of a freaking deal. I waited just like everyone else.

Thank you. Trying to explain sense to these people is like trying to teach a one year old how to do long division.

outback15

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, if you get an unlocked country variant from e.g. Argentina, Brazil or any other latin american country you can use this phone without any issues with T-Mobile.
Noticed something on the 1520 spec sheet. It will use a nano sim instead of a micro sim. Will that matter?

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

i agree in a way but we all must agree too that thus 1520 is kinda a move foward with 1080p quad core but then backwards with 16 GB of storage and no built in qi charging . Does one really want to deal with this " other storage" issue with only 16gb of internals?

CitrusMocha

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I have a headache a really don't want to read if this has been answered already in sorry.

When can I buy an UNBRANDED 1520 to use on a US carriers network? I want all the latest updates, don't need AT&T dragging me down!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
so far you can't, and when you can it will STILL cost more than the full price ATT variant with no subsidies on top. We get completely ripped off in the US.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre