1520 Canadian Release?

Solar Mike

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Warning about CanadaGSM as a seller of phones...

A link to a Canadian supplier, CanadaGSM was listed above, so I checked them out a bit. Their site has many dead links and glaring incongruities, so I checked them out on other websites and found some unhappy people on an Android forum who have had dealings with them:

Anyone purchased from CanadaGSM? - Android Forums

Don't think I'll be pursuing them for my 1520.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Warning about CanadaGSM as a seller of phones...

A link to a Canadian supplier, CanadaGSM was listed above, so I checked them out a bit. Their site has many dead links and glaring incongruities, so I checked them out on other websites and found some unhappy people on an Android forum who have had dealings with them:

I actually went into their store last week to see which 1520 they actually had. It was the AT&T unit. However the store was quite nice and they seemed pretty friendly. Sorry to hear that others have had issues.

Anyone purchased from CanadaGSM? - Android Forums

Don't think I'll be pursuing them for my 1520.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was disappointed with CanadaGSM. They advertised their Lumia 1520 as penta band and claimed it works with Wind, specifically listing the AWS bands 1700/2100, but the price was too good to be true. I contacted them twice and was about to visit their store in person, but they replied to me twice confirming it's an error from their side. They do seem nice, though.

I ended getting my Lumia 1520 from Omegacell.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I was disappointed with CanadaGSM. They advertised their Lumia 1520 as penta band and claimed it works with Wind, specifically listing the AWS bands 1700/2100, but the price was too good to be true. I contacted them twice and was about to visit their store in person, but they replied to me twice confirming it's an error from their side. They do seem nice, though.

I ended getting my Lumia 1520 from Omegacell.
Looks like they fixed it as there are no AWS bands.
The phone will still work with all of the carriers they provided though, you'll be capped at HSPA+/4G

Michael M Maslowski

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
CanadaGSM says their 1520 is 32gb so how can that be the ATT unit?
Also what variant will work on Bell?
Does anyone know what variant expansys.ca is selling? Search Results for: "1520" - EXPANSYS Canada

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

I can honestly recommend a seller called OmegaCell that actually sells the RM-938 variant of the 1520 that should have no issues with Bell (myself, I am with Telus in NS and they use Bell's infrastructure in rural areas).

Order processing was quick. I would also recommend shelling out extra $$ for warranty, as typically Nokia Care will not honour claims for a device that is an import (I am using the qualifier here, as I have read somewhere in the 1520 that sometimes they actually do). Personally I did not intend using any cases, so I also opted for the full-body Clear Coating, the best one I have had to date.

Here's the thread that might be of your interest. The Expansys model is quite likely the international version, that is the RM-937, thus it has different LTE bands.

Good luck!

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I just bought one on swappa, and it's an unlocked at&t, but i'm not sure the RM number, and neither are they. they claim they used lte on tmobile though. I'm with bell, in Fredericton, and i'm just wanting to clarify that worst case scenario it still does 3g? I don't really care about lte at all, and my 1020 I had set to 3g as I found it improved battery life. is that the situation, or am I confused? is it possible my new phone doesn't work at all or just edge?

SevenDead1ySinz

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, has anyone purchased the RM-938 variant from Omegacell that is on Rogers? I have a Lumia 920 right now and looking to upgrade...although might hold out for a 1520 successor

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, has anyone purchased the RM-938 variant from Omegacell that is on Rogers? I have a Lumia 920 right now and looking to upgrade...although might hold out for a 1520 successor

I'm on Rogers and have an RM-938 (not from OmegaCell, but same phone) and I get LTE here in Edmonton. Everything works perfectly for me (texting, mms, internet sharing).

Win Luck

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi MrGoodSmith, I experience the same problem. Nokia service center swapped a 1520.3 for me. When I turn on the phone I don't see LTE icon next to the signal bar but H or H+, then I reset the phone, when the phone asked for the Restore from back up. I found the backup is RM-938_nam_canada..._104. I am just wondering what your original ROM was, also if you change different ROMs for different regions/countries, will that brick your phone?

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
It's sad that no carrier wants to carry the 1520, such a lovely device... and yet they carry the Note 4... Good god talk about double standards. I understand that they didn't wanted to carry it because they thought "no one would buy it" but holy crap put it in a test market or something.

Now of course I don't work for a single telecom company so I could be saying BS :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb