1520 Canadian Release?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I would wait it out a few more weeks and sew if Rogers announces it. Trust me, I know how hard it is to be patient right now. I originally preordered the unlocked model but cancelled it last week after I realized I was spending $900 on a phone that will potentially come here for substantially less.

Give it till mid December and if nothing has been announced yet I'd look around for a compatible unlocked model.

Indivestor

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The provided link is for any here who want to know about the Lumia 1520 Model variants and the Networks and Connectivity detail...

Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937, RM-938, RM-939) - Reviews and Full Specifications

Additionally, from Engadget.com as of mid-November 2013...

At the time of this writing, the Lumia 1520 has only been announced on one US carrier, but it's widely available in other parts of the world. There are three different model numbers, each offering compatibility with different networks. Each variant has quad-band GSM/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900) and at least four HSPA+ bands (850/900/1900/2100), but AT&T's model (the RM-938) comes with a fifth band for AWS, technically making it compatible with T-Mobile's HSPA+ network. Only two of the models come with LTE: the RM-937, which features compatibility with five bands (800/900/1800/2100/2600), and the RM-938, which offers support for a different set of five bands (2, 4, 5, 7, 17). Those mainly serve AT&T and T-Mobile in the US. (Update: We didn't clearly state another pair of differences on the AT&T version versus the global units. The AT&T option only comes with 16GB internal storage and wireless charging requires an optional cover, whereas the global models are 32GB and have the capability built-in.)

My question is... What would Rogers add to their version of the Lumia 1520 [ if ] that the Expansys.ca Lumia 1520 would be missing?

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
For interested Canadians, a Toronto-based company is currently selling the RM-938 model of this phone, which according to their website and the specs they listed works also on carriers like Wind and Mobilicity.

Canada GSM | Nokia Lumia 1520 6 inch Phablet Windows 8 20MP Unlocked

For $599 CAD this sounds like the real deal. I contacted them and they told me it's possible to purchase and pickup the phone directly in their office in Mississauga, saving on the shipping cost.

If by April 19 no new/better Lumias are announced I will most probably be going with this one. My pocket is ready!

Last edited:

thegregulator10

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I bought an RM-937 from Easy Cell in Richmond, BC. The phone was pricy but I wasn't going to wait on the off chance a Canadian carrier releases it. Sold the Note 3 and don't regret it for a second. LTE works fine with Fido too and I get 32gb of storage, which is expandable, and Qi wireless charging. Perfect!

Want1520RM-938

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
For interested Canadians, a Toronto-based company is currently selling the RM-938 model of this phone, which according to their website and the specs they listed works also on carriers like Wind and Mobilicity.

Canada GSM | Nokia Lumia 1520 6 inch Phablet Windows 8 20MP Unlocked

For $599 CAD this sounds like the real deal. I contacted them and they told me it's possible to purchase and pickup the phone directly in their office in Mississauga, saving on the shipping cost.

If by April 19 no new/better Lumias are announced I will most probably be going with this one. My pocket is ready!

that's a great price but no word on delivery time.

This is higher price but delivery charge included within Canada and its about 2 weeks (to your door).

http://www.omegacell.com/products/nokia-lumia-1520-rm-938-lte

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
that's a great price but no word on delivery time.

This is higher price but delivery charge included within Canada and its about 2 weeks (to your door).

Nokia Lumia 1520 Canada Unlocked RM-938 Windows LTE AWS

I was about to post about the same link then I saw your replies.

I contacted CanadaGSM and they told me the model they sell doesn't have 1700_2100 printed on the box. I was surprised considering the fact their website specifically specifies the opposite. I still want to visit them in person to confirm what variant they are selling. If it turned out they are selling the typical RM-937 I am going to order the more expensive RM-938 from Omegacell. I already ordered the nano sim cutter, so both items would arrive almost at the same time.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Any word on the release date of 1520 by the Canadian carriers?

It looks like no Canadian carrier is interested in getting this phone. I was hoping Rogers, but it has been too long already (the Lumia 1020 was released in Canada much sooner), so I lost hope and purchased my Lumia 1520 - the RM938 variant - from Omegacell, shipped straight from Alberta.

anon(1390477)

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping either Rogers and or Telus will release it once windows 8.1 is out..
As for RM938 you have ordered from Omegacell, does it have the following radio bands?
LTE 700 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 / 2600 and wireless charging?
thank you

LuvMeSomeWP

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone! Thanks again to those on this forum that posted info about availability and where to purchase, I grabbed my very own yellow 1520 RM-938 from Omegacell and am loving it!
I can also verify that it has all the bands for LTE (including future 700MHz!) on all the major carriers in Canada, as well as the smaller players.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone! Thanks again to those on this forum that posted info about availability and where to purchase, I grabbed my very own yellow 1520 RM-938 from Omegacell and am loving it!
I can also verify that it has all the bands for LTE (including future 700MHz!) on all the major carriers in Canada, as well as the smaller players.

Ordered my black one from Omegacell yesterday and it is currently showing on the FedEx site tracking for delivery by noon Monday. I called them first to make sure it was in stock and then placed the order online. I had a tracking number in about 20 minutes.

So far I am very impressed with them.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
After I got my Lumia 1520 I decided to do some experimentation with it.

First of all, using Nokia Care Suite I determined the product code of my phone was: 059V6W7 VAR LTA 7R CV BLACK

This is the model I purchased from Omegacell Canada. If you purchased the phone from somewhere else you might have got a different code, but I am not sure.

Anyhow, googling this product code I found this page which lists all available product codes for the RM-938 variant:

Product Codes of Nokia Lumia 1520 ? Seidea

RM-938
059V726 VAR LATAM 6J CLARO SL WHITE
059V730 VAR LATAM AR CLARO SL SKD WHITE
059V728 VAR LATAM AR CLARO SL SKD BLACK
059V725 VAR LATAM 6J CLARO SL BLACK
059V6X0 VAR LTA 7R CV WHITE
059V6W7 VAR LTA 7R CV BLACK
059V6X1 VAR LTA 7R CV YELLOW
059V442 VAR LTA BR CV BLACK
059V533 VAR LTA BR CV WHITE
059V744 VAR LATAM 6F MOVISTAR SL BLACK
059V721 VAR LATAM AR MOVISTAR SL SKD YLW
059V5L9 VAR LATAM 6F MOVISTAR SL WHITE
059V719 VAR LATAM AR MOVISTAR SL SKD BLK
059V720 VAR LATAM AR MOVISTAR SL SKD WHT
059V7N7 VAR LTA UY ANTEL BLACK SL
059V724 VAR LATAM AR CV SKD RED
059V722 VAR LATAM AR CV SKD BLACK
059V3L0 AMERICAS WHITE SWAP
059V3L1 AMERICAS RED SWAP
059V3L2 AMERICAS YELLOW SWAP
059V3K8 AMERICAS BLACK SWAP
059V3L8 PWBASSY LIGHT SWAP ENGINE GLOBAL

So I downloaded the firmware of my product code and saved it in a safe place. This is like the installation disk of Windows, if something wrong happens to my phone I can always flash it and start anew (the same way you format a computer and clean-install Windows).

Then I got interested in the SWAP variant and decided to take a look at their firmware files and see how they differ from the model I got. I googled further and found this link which lists the file names of all firmware components:

Get Lates Nokia Firmwares From Product Code 059V3K8

The link above is for the Black SWAP variant. Replace the last 7 digits in the URL with your actual product code to get a list of the firmware files and even download them for free from the official Nokia servers!

Anyhow, looking at the firmware files of the SWAP variant, I was surprised to see this file:

RM938_1028.3534.1343.0000_RETAIL_nam_canada_104_00_317445_prd_signed.ffu

Notice the word "Canada" in the file name? This is the main firmware file which is around 1.5 GB in size.

So apparently, there was a plan to launch the RM-938 variant in Canada at some point. Going through some of the firmware files, I found that the firmware was signed early in January this year, and I personally was expecting the Lumia 1520 to be officially in Canada (Rogers or Telus) in January, but it looks like the plan was canceled for some reason.

I got interested in flashing my own Lumia 1520 with one of those SWAP firmware just to see how they work, so I downloaded the firmware files and went ahead with the process! I am pretty comfortable with flashing Lumia phones, and I can always flash it back to my original product code if I want.

So the flashing was complete, and my phone restarted with an English interface (instead of the Spanish interface in the original firmware). After setup was complete, I went to Settings --> Cellular , and to my surprise I couldn't find 4G anymore in the "Highest connection speed". Doing a Network Selection search didn't detect 4G carriers, so I figured this older/basic firmware was crippling my phone and I certainly didn't want to spend any more time with it, so I flashed my phone back with the original firmware and was able to restore the 4G connectivity. Everything is back to normal now.

I just wanted to share this with you. The fact that there is a "Canadian" firmware for the Lumia 1520 is very interesting. I don't know if this is indeed a canceled project or the basis for a future plan to bring the phone officially to Canadian carriers. But so far I am happy with the phone I got. No defects and every thing seems ok, and in less than 10 days I will be running Windows Phone 8.1 on it!

This is indeed a future-proof phone. It will take a long time before anything significantly better is available in the market.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)