01-10-2014 08:30 AM
70 123
tools
    Bottom line, we need carrier free phone options in the US that give us the phone as THE MANUFACTURER intended, not a stupid carrier that does not have our interests in mind.

SELL INTERNATIONAL VARIANTS IN THE MICROSOFT STORE!
    10-25-2013 12:09 PM
    Are there even PMA chargers available to the consumer?
    10-25-2013 01:02 PM
    I too am annoyed by the lack of built in Qi but I am more pissed about the 16GB. I can't think of any excuse for the drop in storage and 16GB doesn't cut it for me. At least we can still add Qi or PMA with a nice cover.
    10-25-2013 01:28 PM
    Are there even PMA chargers available to the consumer?
    http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Power...pUvbUpU2192676
    Lots of bad reviews from ppl with qi phones. Don't worry... Don said there will be phones and chargers in 2014 and apparently Starbucks has them installed already. I just can't find them
    10-25-2013 01:45 PM
    I too am annoyed by the lack of built in Qi but I am more pissed about the 16GB. I can't think of any excuse for the drop in storage and 16GB doesn't cut it for me. At least we can still add Qi or PMA with a nice cover.
    If they offer a Qi shell and not just a PMA one.
    10-25-2013 02:17 PM
    From what I've been reading, it's easier for companies to profit from PMA. Go figure. ANd I read an interesting tibit from News :: Qi vs PMA vs A4WP -. Take it with a grain of salt *shrug* I hope they're correct.

August 24, 2013

Each of these standards is approaching adoption of their format differently. Qi has been utilizing a push strategy and trying to get as many manufacturers to adopt their standard. Simply getting numerous devices in the market place will leader to greater adoption of the standard. They have been quite successful at this approach compared to the other two. If we had to place a bet on a single standard winning, we would choose Qi at this stage.

PMA on the other hand has been focusing on branding and developing a pull strategy by trying to build momentum through consumers. They recently gained significant traction when they partnered with Starbucks on launching a test for PMA chargers in numerous stores. With virtually no devices actually developed that will work on PMA chargers, we're not sure how successful this will be. There are some limited offerings of cell phone cases that work with PMA. In addition, most major manufacturers such as Samsung have joined all the standards boards to cover themselves. They have yet to launch product offering with PMA though. Starbucks also serves on the board so this relationship should likely grow.

We haven't ruled out A4WP yet but they are well behind Qi and PMA in terms of adoption. Intel recently joined which gives the organization body significant credibility and greater resources.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-25-2013 03:56 PM
    FWIW, Pocketnow stands with ya'll.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-25-2013 05:41 PM
    FWIW, Pocketnow stands with ya'll.
    This article deserves its own thread. Thank you.
    10-25-2013 05:57 PM
    Here is my email to att I hope more does similar.

Dear Sir,

I just want to let you know that as a customer I am very upset with you dumbing down the LUMIA 1520 to a lesser phone than it was intended by Nokia. Reducing the memory to 16gb on a phone of this caliber and replacing QI with something you just decided you could profit from is not acceptable. One day ATT will pay for not trying to provide good products for it's customers instead of trying to find 100 ways to steal from them. Please show some integrity and sell the phone in the state it is suppose to be and not a dumbed down version of it.

This is a great phone and could actually win you many new customers, why do you want to mess around and cause it to lose you customers?
    10-25-2013 06:10 PM
    Here is my email to att I hope more does similar.

Dear Sir,

I just want to let you know that as a customer I am very upset with you dumbing down the LUMIA 1520 to a lesser phone than it was intended by Nokia. Reducing the memory to 16gb on a phone of this caliber and replacing QI with something you just decided you could profit from is not acceptable. One day ATT will pay for not trying to provide good products for it's customers instead of trying to find 100 ways to steal from them. Please show some integrity and sell the phone in the state it is suppose to be and not a dumbed down version of it.

This is a great phone and could actually win you many new customers, why do you want to mess around and cause it to lose you customers?
    I really wish they would pay for all the bull**** they do. But Q3 earnings shows otherwise for ATT. Record profits, Millions of new subscribers. The american subsidy system is horse ****. They can tack on all sorts of fees, and the end user knows nothing about it! I see people here saying they will buy the international unlocked version, but that doesn't punish ATT either because we already paid for the ATT version by using their service!
    10-25-2013 06:36 PM
    "Don Mooers, Director, Device Product Marketing at AT&T responded to a question about the change, and confirmed it was due to AT&T being a member of the Power Matters Alliance, which is a rival wireless charging standard also supported by companies such as Starbucks and Duracell. Starbucks has in fact started rolling out charging pads in their restaurants in USA with PMA support."

AT&T Nokia Lumia 1520 will not have Qi because AT&T supports rival PMA | WMPoweruser
    awesome so they would also want me to throw away my Nokia charging plate too and buy a new pma plate?...att does not care about wp8 customers looking to upgrade do they?
    10-25-2013 06:50 PM
    So according to the ATT page we won't even get a qi case? Are we just confined to getting a PMA case? That would seriously suck!
    10-25-2013 10:23 PM
    So according to the ATT page we won't even get a qi case? Are we just confined to getting a PMA case? That would seriously suck!
    Yes, AT&T only supports PMA, and as such AT&T's variant will use a PMA charging shell
    10-25-2013 11:26 PM
    10-25-2013 11:38 PM
    Do not forget about MSFT & Nokia. Maybe, the WPCcommunity can persuade them to sell the international/Global variant (RM-937) or the Latin America variant(RM-938) unlocked from there websites.
    Just in case you didn't see this the first time!
    10-26-2013 05:42 AM
    Looks like I'll be holding onto my 920. This is very disappointing.
    to me, this doesnt really affect me. if wireless charging was that big of a deal i'd get a back plate for pma charging for my lumia 1520 and use that. not having qi wireless charging doesnt take away the fact that this is still a pretty awesome windows phone. the best windows phone to date. i'm not going to let a different wireless charging standard ruin my chance to enjoy this device. especially when i can still get wireless charging for it by just using pma instead. i dont have any kind of loyalty to a wireless charging standard because in my opinion it is not what makes or breaks me getting a certain device. screen tech, battery size, amount of ram, build quality, cpu power and efficiency, microsd card slot and some others are what influence me to get a certain device and are in my opinion much more important.
    JPDVM2014 likes this.
    10-26-2013 01:23 PM
    to me, this doesnt really affect me. if wireless charging was that big of a deal i'd get a back plate for pma charging for my lumia 1520 and use that. not having qi wireless charging doesnt take away the fact that this is still a pretty awesome windows phone. the best windows phone to date. i'm not going to let a different wireless charging standard ruin my chance to enjoy this device. especially when i can still get wireless charging for it by just using pma instead. i dont have any kind of loyalty to a wireless charging standard because in my opinion it is not what makes or breaks me getting a certain device. screen tech, battery size, amount of ram, build quality, cpu power and efficiency, microsd card slot and some others are what influence me to get a certain device and are in my opinion much more important.
    I'm getting there with the lack of Qi. I really do like the device and more than likely I'll end up with it. I'll just sell off my Qi chargers or give them to family members.
    10-26-2013 01:48 PM
    I'm getting there with the lack of Qi. I really do like the device and more than likely I'll end up with it. I'll just sell off my Qi chargers or give them to family members.
    my Nokia wireless charging dock wont work with 1520
    10-26-2013 11:18 PM
    Ugh Verizon branded phones are ugly and their service is slower, but not supporting any Nokia wireless charging peripherals, (which I bought from AT&T) in future models is more than enough to make me jump ship from AT&T. Getting new phones first means nothing if they never get the phone I actually want. I wish it hadn't come to this, but as things stand, when I next upgrade I'm going to Verizon.
    10-26-2013 11:53 PM
    So I did something, I emailed Mr. Elop. about the issue and he said "I definitely understand...I will share your feedback with AT&T..."
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-27-2013 06:28 PM
    I emailed elop too. I'll update if I hear back
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    10-27-2013 10:46 PM
    Much ado about nothing.
    10-27-2013 10:55 PM
    I emailed elop too. I'll update if I hear back
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    can you provide a way to email Mr. Elop? Would love to voice my concern over how there destroying this beautiful device.
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    10-28-2013 12:00 PM
    I'm pretty sure if Apple made their own standard of wireless charging, AT&T would be fine. But not nokia and the amazing Qi. -_-
    10-28-2013 12:10 PM
    Disappointing considering I have a PowerUp speaker, and the 1520 won't work with it. :(
    10-28-2013 12:11 PM
70 123