If at&t's 1520 doesnt have qi...

jjag520

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
"Don Mooers, Director, Device Product Marketing at AT&T responded to a question about the change, and confirmed it was due to AT&T being a member of the Power Matters Alliance, which is a rival wireless charging standard also supported by companies such as Starbucks and Duracell. Starbucks has in fact started rolling out charging pads in their restaurants in USA with PMA support."

AT&T Nokia Lumia 1520 will not have Qi because AT&T supports rival PMA | WMPoweruser

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I am very pissed about this. First I want to have wireless charging built in. This is why I never upgraded to the other phones. I wanted this phone, but now I will not get it. However, this means all other phones will probably not have Qi built in.

Second I have a lot of Qi accessories and these will become useless if I get phones with PMA standard built in.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
This is so stupid. Qi is already out in the market. Most Nokia phones, several android phones are already using Qi. Hell, att sold me my first Qi charging plate. So so stupid. It is ever harder to stay with at&t...

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Bottom line, we need carrier free phone options in the US that give us the phone as THE MANUFACTURER intended, not a stupid carrier that does not have our interests in mind.

SELL INTERNATIONAL VARIANTS IN THE MICROSOFT STORE!

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I too am annoyed by the lack of built in Qi but I am more pissed about the 16GB. I can't think of any excuse for the drop in storage and 16GB doesn't cut it for me. At least we can still add Qi or PMA with a nice cover.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I too am annoyed by the lack of built in Qi but I am more pissed about the 16GB. I can't think of any excuse for the drop in storage and 16GB doesn't cut it for me. At least we can still add Qi or PMA with a nice cover.

If they offer a Qi shell and not just a PMA one.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
From what I've been reading, it's easier for companies to profit from PMA. Go figure. ANd I read an interesting tibit from News :: Qi vs PMA vs A4WP -. Take it with a grain of salt *shrug* I hope they're correct.

August 24, 2013

Each of these standards is approaching adoption of their format differently. Qi has been utilizing a push strategy and trying to get as many manufacturers to adopt their standard. Simply getting numerous devices in the market place will leader to greater adoption of the standard. They have been quite successful at this approach compared to the other two. If we had to place a bet on a single standard winning, we would choose Qi at this stage.

PMA on the other hand has been focusing on branding and developing a pull strategy by trying to build momentum through consumers. They recently gained significant traction when they partnered with Starbucks on launching a test for PMA chargers in numerous stores. With virtually no devices actually developed that will work on PMA chargers, we're not sure how successful this will be. There are some limited offerings of cell phone cases that work with PMA. In addition, most major manufacturers such as Samsung have joined all the standards boards to cover themselves. They have yet to launch product offering with PMA though. Starbucks also serves on the board so this relationship should likely grow.

We haven't ruled out A4WP yet but they are well behind Qi and PMA in terms of adoption. Intel recently joined which gives the organization body significant credibility and greater resources.

jfdavis17

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Here is my email to att I hope more does similar.

Dear Sir,

I just want to let you know that as a customer I am very upset with you dumbing down the LUMIA 1520 to a lesser phone than it was intended by Nokia. Reducing the memory to 16gb on a phone of this caliber and replacing QI with something you just decided you could profit from is not acceptable. One day ATT will pay for not trying to provide good products for it's customers instead of trying to find 100 ways to steal from them. Please show some integrity and sell the phone in the state it is suppose to be and not a dumbed down version of it.

This is a great phone and could actually win you many new customers, why do you want to mess around and cause it to lose you customers?

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Here is my email to att I hope more does similar.

Dear Sir,

I just want to let you know that as a customer I am very upset with you dumbing down the LUMIA 1520 to a lesser phone than it was intended by Nokia. Reducing the memory to 16gb on a phone of this caliber and replacing QI with something you just decided you could profit from is not acceptable. One day ATT will pay for not trying to provide good products for it's customers instead of trying to find 100 ways to steal from them. Please show some integrity and sell the phone in the state it is suppose to be and not a dumbed down version of it.

This is a great phone and could actually win you many new customers, why do you want to mess around and cause it to lose you customers?

I really wish they would pay for all the bull**** they do. But Q3 earnings shows otherwise for ATT. Record profits, Millions of new subscribers. The american subsidy system is horse ****. They can tack on all sorts of fees, and the end user knows nothing about it! I see people here saying they will buy the international unlocked version, but that doesn't punish ATT either because we already paid for the ATT version by using their service!

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
"Don Mooers, Director, Device Product Marketing at AT&T responded to a question about the change, and confirmed it was due to AT&T being a member of the Power Matters Alliance, which is a rival wireless charging standard also supported by companies such as Starbucks and Duracell. Starbucks has in fact started rolling out charging pads in their restaurants in USA with PMA support."

AT&T Nokia Lumia 1520 will not have Qi because AT&T supports rival PMA | WMPoweruser

awesome so they would also want me to throw away my Nokia charging plate too and buy a new pma plate?...att does not care about wp8 customers looking to upgrade do they?

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So according to the ATT page we won't even get a qi case? Are we just confined to getting a PMA case? That would seriously suck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos