If at&t's 1520 doesnt have qi...

darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to send an angry email to Ralph.delaVega@att.com (CEO of att mobility) and every other at&t official a few times a week from various email address (work, personal..) to let them know how disappointed I am about their decisions. Anyone else care to join me?

EDIT: Seems like they changed something and their email address bounces now. Looks like the correct one is Ralph.delaVega@att.com

Last edited:

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
The AT&T Nokia Lumia 1520 will not have wireless charging built in | WMPoweruser
OX3S.png

So, Ummm, Yeah, you should do it.

darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
“AT&T* was the first to launch a 4G LTE Windows Phone, and first to enter the large screen space. We are proud to bring the Nokia Lumia 1520 exclusively to the U.S. on the nation’s fastest and now most reliable 4G LTE network,”** said Jeff Bradley, senior vice president, Devices, AT&T Mobility. “We continue to offer our customers the best Windows Phone portfolio and the top lineup of Nokia Lumia devices in the U.S.” For more information, please visit www.att.com/lumia1520.

I'm also considering emailing Jeff.Bradley@att.com too!

Last edited:

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping some enterprising MVNO will import a truckload of international variants and sell them. If Straight Talk/NET10 wanted to make waves they could do so.

derekpthomas

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Here below is the letter I sent to AT&T. Man I sure hope someone there is listening.

Dear Mr. Bradley or Mr. de la Vega:
I do not know if you are the right folks to reach out to, and if not, could I ask you to forward this to the correct person at AT&T?

I want to take a moment and tell you that the Nokia Lumia 1520 was to be my next purchase as a follow-up to my Lumia 920. However, I am learning that the 1520 will be stripped of its built-in Qi charging and will have only 16gb of internal memory while the international version of the 1520 will have built-in Qi charging and 32gb of memory. If this is the case, I will not purchase this device. Additionally, there are folks at my company and in my family that are equally frustrated by this decision by AT&T to down-spec this phone. Finally, there are quite a few folks in the WPCentral forums who are equally upset with AT&T for potentially ruining this apex phone.

Let me explain my position on this matter. First, I know (or at least I have heard that) AT&T is officially backing the Alliance for Wireless Power (A4WP) wireless charging standard and not the Wireless Power Consortium (WPC) Qi standard, but the 1520 will not be available with A4WP and it is available internationally with Qi. I also know that some think that A4WP will eventually win due to its supposedly superior technology. But no Nokia currently supports A4WP that I am aware of. So AT&T has forced MS/Nokia to deliver a neutered phone only to AT&T with wireless charging contact points and are forcing customers who require wireless charging to install Qi wireless charging backs. I assume AT&T feels that should A4WP eventually win, customers with wireless charging backs will switch their backs to A4WP but the reality, at least from my point of view, is that Nokia will never go back to older models and develop these A4WP backs. I have no problem affording a charging back...that is not the issue. The issue is that with this back installed, there is no possibility to put the phone in a protective case such as Otterbox and almost everyone puts their expensive phones in cases designed to give full protection from drop breakage. The Qi back does not protect the screen in drops, nor does this Qi back offer any way to clip the phone to your belt. If the Qi back provided for these scenarios that would almost be acceptable though I understand that the Qi backs are finicky...but they do not. Second, I can say with absolute certainty as a long-time user of Windows Phone that it is not satisfactory to the power user who would be interested in upgrading to the 1520 that AT&T has downgraded the memory from 32gb to 16gb. I have nearly 16gb of software alone on my Lumia 920 and I can assure you that 16gb is not enough.

I would also like to share with you that I have tried for the last hour to migrate through the gauntlet of AT&T customer service folks to try to help prevent AT&T from executing on this terrible plan to neuter the Lumia 1520 and have been unable to get anyone to pass me on to a decision-maker on this matter. It is a bad situation when a company gets so large that it will not connect customers to decision-makers in some form or fashion. As a manager in my own company, I want to warn your management team that when decision-makers are not in tune with customers and there is no mechanism for a customer to voice their opinions to those decision-makers at least that I was able to root out, then the company is sure to drift astray of their customer's wishes.

So in the end, I urgently request that AT&T change its plans for the Lumia 1520 and offer the international version of the phone for sale to its customers provided it has the correct radio frequencies. If it is too late to change your order for the neutered version of the phone, then offer the international version for $50 more or whatever along side the neutered version. There is no need to strip built-in Qi charging from the phone to protect us from future developments in the A4WP versus Qi war...we customers are not concerned about this and want Qi built-in because if you think about it, there is no risk to us if A4WP wins. We still have our Qi chargers (in my own case, 4 of them) and Qi accessories will remain available in the foreseeable future.

I also want you to know that the reason I did not upgrade to the Lumia 1020 with its coveted camera is that the phone does not have Qi charging. I have Qi chargers at home, in the office, in my car and even on my motorcycle. It works well for me and wireless charging is a requirement for future phones. These things are power hungry and wireless charging goes a long way towards making it simple to avoid power issues.

Thanks for your attention, I hope you can correct this wrong, and best regards,
Derek P. Thomas
Lancaster, Ohio

darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Dear Mr. ____,

We really appreciate your business and the opportunity to provide you wireless service. I am responsible for our Windows Phone portfolio and I personally appreciate your feedback on our Nokia Lumia 1520 announcement.

To address your wireless charging question, charging on the go represents a major convenience for consumers and with new wireless charging standards and participating device and service providers, it’s becoming a reality. We fully support the concept of an industry standard for wireless power and believe it has to expand beyond the home and office.

In an effort to move toward making this a reality for consumers worldwide, we’ve placed our support for the public ecosystem roll out led by Power Matters Alliance (PMA). The PMA continues to expand membership and is building a strong ecosystem for wireless charging. The PMA solution is already installed at leading coffee shops, airports, stadiums, restaurants, gyms and more, which enables customers to wirelessly charge their phone while on the go.

Creating an effortless user experience for consumers is a high priority for us and it means ensuring every detail of compatibility has been well thought out and tested before products are made available. We’ve asked our device suppliers to embed PMA certified wireless charging capability into their devices beginning in 2014. In the interim, we are working with our accessory partners to develop solutions as quickly as possible.

Today, our customers are already enjoying PMA accessories for several devices in our portfolio. The Nokia Lumia 1520 will support the PMA standard via a wireless charging accessory.

I hope you’ll consider the Lumia 1520. My team has worked hard with Nokia and Microsoft to get the 1520 ready for launch at AT&T and I’ve been truly impressed with its screen, camera and performance. I would be happy to facilitate a one-on-one demo of the device in an AT&T store convenient to you as soon as it’s available. Please let me know if this interests you and I’ll provide you with some options on timing and location.

Kind regards,
Don Mooers
Director, Device Product Marketing

Jeff Bradley forwarded my email to Don Mooers and this is the response I got

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Do not forget about MSFT & Nokia. Maybe, the WPCcommunity can persuade them to sell the international/Global variant (RM-937) or the Latin America variant(RM-938) unlocked from there websites.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
If I get this phone I will definitely NOT get it from AT&T.

In fact, I am just seriously considering paying the ETF and go pre-paid. It would save me money in the long run even if I have to pay some money now. Considering I got my L920 for free I think it's still a good deal.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Don Mooers from ATT has responded to someone on WMpoweruser and confirmed that those ****bags are omitting it because of their sleazy deal with P&G/Duracell whoa re the real smack pushers behind PMA.

This really needs to end quick. This is blu ray HD DVD all over again...but I have a strong suspicion this will end with the US on one standard and the rest of the world on another. powermat technology is crap...just look at the bulky sleeve junk for iphones. It has NEVER been implemented in a phone like Qi.

We need Microsoft to start selling phones direct like Google/Apple....end of story.

darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Don Mooers from ATT has responded to someone on WMpoweruser and confirmed that those ****bags are omitting it because of their sleazy deal with P&G/Duracell whoa re the real smack pushers behind PMA.

Sorry, that person is me and they are referring to this thread. Read wmpoweruser again, they said thanks Darth furious
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the letter didn't say 'Dear Mr. darth_furious, that's why I said someone because it didn't identify the actual person and only credited the tipster.

that's nice though that you got this schlub to respond, hopefully you captured his direct email address so we can flame him when ATT doesn't release GDR3/Black timely. He did take credit for being over the Windows Phone Portfolio.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo