Has anybody seen any screenshots of the supposedly 'optimized' parts of WP for larger screens? Because aside from the homescreen it looks the same.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-24-2013 04:55 PM
    I was wondering that myself
    10-24-2013 05:19 PM
    Has anybody seen any screenshots of the supposedly 'optimized' parts of WP for larger screens? Because aside from the homescreen it looks the same.
    There aren't any. The start screen is the only UI design change for 1080p displays.
    10-24-2013 06:29 PM
    tom warren from theVerge and other websites disagree (also microsoft blog if i remember correctly), they said that the native apps have been a little bit redisgned for the 1080p screen and mainly the mail application.

i'm also searching for those informations.
    10-26-2013 11:31 AM
    There aren't any. The start screen is the only UI design change for 1080p displays.
    it has been said several places that there were changes and they didn't just want to blow everything up.
    10-26-2013 11:48 AM
    Source?
    10-26-2013 12:26 PM
    Source?
    Windows Phone 8 'Update 3' adds top-requested features ahead of 1080p devices | The Verge

"Microsoft is adding a third column of Live Tiles to the Windows Phone 8 Start Screen on 1080p displays to take advantage of the larger displays and resolution, allowing up to six small tiles across the width of the screen. Aside from the Live Tiles, Microsoft is also making use of the screen real estate on devices with 6-inch displays. The built-in apps and Hubs, including Mail, Photos, People, and Music / Videos, will be "carefully scaled" to make use of 6-inch displays, allowing more content to show on those particular devices. "We want to use that increased screen real estate wisely," explains Microsoft's Greg Sullivan, senior product manager for the Windows Phone division, in an interview with The Verge. These built-in apps won't just be "bigger versions, but you get more content" explains Sullivan."
    10-26-2013 01:12 PM
    Windows Phone 8 'Update 3' adds top-requested features ahead of 1080p devices | The Verge

"Microsoft is adding a third column of Live Tiles to the Windows Phone 8 Start Screen on 1080p displays to take advantage of the larger displays and resolution, allowing up to six small tiles across the width of the screen. Aside from the Live Tiles, Microsoft is also making use of the screen real estate on devices with 6-inch displays. The built-in apps and Hubs, including Mail, Photos, People, and Music / Videos, will be "carefully scaled" to make use of 6-inch displays, allowing more content to show on those particular devices. "We want to use that increased screen real estate wisely," explains Microsoft's Greg Sullivan, senior product manager for the Windows Phone division, in an interview with The Verge. These built-in apps won't just be "bigger versions, but you get more content" explains Sullivan."
    hopefully that doesn't just mean a few extra rows of content, but an actual slight redesign.
    10-26-2013 02:31 PM

The built-in apps and Hubs, including Mail, Photos, People, and Music / Videos, will be "carefully scaled" to make use of 6-inch displays, allowing more content to show on those particular devices. "We want to use that increased screen real estate wisely," explains Microsoft's Greg Sullivan, senior product manager for the Windows Phone division, in an interview with The Verge. These built-in apps won't just be "bigger versions, but you get more content" explains Sullivan."
    Ah yes, I see. Thank you.

The term "optimized" is another way of saying: "redesigned to make optimal use of extra screen real estate". Mr. Sullivan is quoted as using the term "scaled", which isn't at all the same thing. In other words, there is no redesign, except for the home screen. That he mentions "photos and videos" is telling. You don't need a redesigned app to scale photos and videos correctly. All you need is a different scaling factor. This probably means nothing more than "you won't see black bars anywhere".

A redesign is what you see on the start screen, as that goes further than just rescaling what we had before (although it is a very subtle redesign). It is also what you see happen on iOS devices, when an app explicitly changes UI composition based on whether it is running on a small iPhone or a large iPad display.
    10-27-2013 09:49 AM